shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you pick a florist and Band vs. DJ

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
So, we just booked a reception hall! We are very excited. I would like to start looking around at florists and entertainment. How do you go about picking a florist? Also, if anyone has any specific recommendations for Bergen County New Jersey area that would be great...

Also, do you guys like a band or a dj better?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
It depends on what kind of party you want.
I always liked DJ better... you get the actual songs, and not their "version". MY MIL was adamand that we have a band. We had a band, and it TOTALLY ROCKED!!!!!! I have never seen so many people up and dancing at a wedding before, IN MY LIFE> the dance floor was PACKED. We played age appropriate songs that everyone knew, and it was a great time. I now would say... BAND ALL THE WAY!

As far as the florist goes, look at her books and see if you like her styles... I used gladioulus stalks to line the alter frame, and I used large vases of glads at the head table... it was really very pretty. we also had glads at the base of our ice sculpture... and at the tables we floated gardenias... it was a lovely mix... and very low key. It wasn''t anything miraculous... it was pretty low key, which is my style. I picked the florist because she also did the chair cover rental and alter rental too.. and I got a killer deal.

Hope this helps!
35.gif

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t answer about a florist - I picked based on word of mouth, recommendations, and his books.

As for band or DJ - it depends. A band has the potential to either be great or terrible - make sure you listen to a band that you''re considering in person. I''ve gone to weddings where the band made the atmosphere so much fun - and then another wedding where the band totally killed the mood - it just depends I guess..

DJs can be the same way...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We ordered our flowers from proflowers.com because their bouquet pictures of calla lillies were my inspiration pics, and then I figured why not just get them from the source? They were beautiful.

We knew we would have a band, no question. I think band vs. DJ depends on the type of wedding you are planning. We had a formal wedding, so a DJ would not have been the appropriate choice. I would meet with both bands and DJs to get a feel for what you tend to prefer, and then make sure you go to a few live gigs to see how they perform in real life. In my opinion, the music can make or break a reception.

Good luck!

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice.

I am definitely undecided on the band vs dj. I like the idea of having any song at our fingertips to have played through a dj but the dj just doesn''t seem as nice....

Our reception is formal and we have a pretty nice place. I guess the thing to do is to go out there and get some band recommendations and listen to what they have to offer.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''m living on the opposite side of the state right now, but I''m from Washington Township originally! Where is the reception going to be?

If you ask the folks in charge at the venue, they will have a list of people to recommend. I can tell you from past experience that the flowers from The Riverdell Florist (in Oradell, I believe, on Kinderkomack)does GORGEOUS flowers!!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer a DJ, because a band:

1) Is always too loud
2) Will sound kinda the same song after song
3) Is less open to requests

I also always felt like a bad DJ was easier to adjust than a bad band, and since our budget was small, it made more sense to go for a bad DJ
3.gif

As for how I picked a florist... I did a googlemap search for a florist close to my venue, and picked one based on nothing at all other than convenience
3.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
We just chose our band based on the fact that a family friend had some sort of connection with them. We''ll see how good they are!!

I looked around on the internet for local florists with websites (like Musey, I looked for ones not too far from the venue) until I found some whose aesthetic I liked. Then I met with three florists, who gave me 3 quotes, and I chose the middle (in price). He was also the nicest, and it seemed like we would work well together.

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
It''s so nice to hear everyone''s opinions. Thanks for contributing.

Haven - I will check out proflowers to see what they have..

Winks - Washington Township! Wow, that''s the exit I take off of the Garden State Parkway to get to my venue... exit 168... Anyway, we just reserved the Florentine and we are both pretty excited. The people their just seemed so nice and the venue is pretty. We looked at over 15 places and visited 7 places in person and we thought it was the best fit. I''ll definitely check out the flortist that you mentioned...

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow, the Florentine is in the town my BF grew up in! We tried to get there, but we''re having just under 100, and they wanted a minimum of over 125 or 150 for a Saturday daytime event. That place is gorgeous compared to what it was like when I was a kid. We went there for so many Easters, Mothers'' Days, etc. It''s a dream place now!

Seasons is nice too, but the food is nothing compared to the Florentine. When''s the big day?

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
Luckily, I have a big extended family so we were able to make the minimum. That''s great to hear. I am hoping the food is good... we never got to do a tasting but we heard good things about them.

We are scheduled for a day in November. Hopefully, it''s nice out!
emsmile.gif

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My FSIL was married early November, and she had 58 degrees. Said it was nice because of the heavy gown.

Our date is a week before Halloween. I''m hoping to have an outdoor ceremony...watch it snow!
9.gif

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
Nice, congratulations!

58 degrees is not bad at all. I think I would be pretty happy if we got that... I have to admit I am hoping for a bit warmer than average temperature (higher than 58) but I think i would be pretty happy if that''s what it turned out to be...

I would have preferred an October wedding but I feel like even november was cutting it a little close... I just got engaged this month.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Ask your contact at the venue, they have seen a million weddings, what florists were the most professional and pretty in their opinion? What DJs were rockin'' and which were not so much... Eh, it could be a place to start.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''d also recommend, in addition to all the great advice you''ve gotten here already, that you make sure you are completely comfortable with the vendors you choose, and that they are reasonably easy to get in touch with - if they aren''t, that''s anxiety you don''t need while trying to plan your wedding.

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
Swimmer/Amber- Thanks, those are good points. I definitely will ask our venue for recommendations and I will make sure that we are completely comfortable with our vendors. I think that is pretty important.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results