shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you maintain your beauty?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you maintain your beauty? Do you have regular spray tans? Facials? Eyelash extensions? What about something more invasive like microneedling, fillers, or laser treatments? Anything else I haven’t mentioned?

I don’t do any of these things but I want to start. I used to do microneedling and I liked the results. My skin really improved. I think I’m still reaping the benefits of it a year later.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try protecting myself from the sun as best I can...sometimes I get lazy and in winter go out without any sunscreen which I know is a mistake. But as I get older I am getting lazier.

I think it has helped my skin immensely protecting it from the UV rays. I don't generally wear makeup because my skin is so sensitive and perhaps that has helped too. I moisturize daily (skin on the dry side) with a good moisturizer with minimal ingredients and drink water and only water most of the time.

I keep sugar to a minimum (and eat a relatively healthy diet) and do not smoke or drink alcohol (if I do have an alcoholic drink it's once or twice a year that's it) and I think all these things have contributed (plus genetics) to maintaining a more youthful appearance for my age.

I would also say quality and quantity sleep is important but good sleep usually eludes me so that hasn't helped me personally but I know it does contribute to one's appearance.

ETA: Adding exercise for my body and mind (quiets my mind) as an important factor in maintaining one's youthful appearance. Thanks @Austina for the reminder.

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I’d started off with beauty, it might be easier, but sadly not. I take good care of my skin, cleanse, tone, moisturise morning and night. I always have my skin covered, I wear foundation with SPF. My thoughts are that being outside a lot (less so now my darling Dottie is gone), it’s better for any pollution to sit on the make up, rather than directly on my skin, and as long as I cleanse my skin thoroughly, it‘s not doing my skin any harm. Immodest as it is to say so, I have good skin, not particularly wrinkly, although my neck is getting slack, but I’m now 60, so don’t think I look too bad.

I have my roots done every 5 weeks, I’ve had grey hairs since I was at school, and my hair is always in really good condition because it’s thick and plentiful. If I thought I’d have the colour grey that would suit me, I might consider letting it go, but mine‘s more a Lily Munster streak rather than all over grey.

I do exercise, since losing Dottie, we’re back at the gym 3 times a week, but I did prefer being out walking with her every day. I’m also getting back in to golf, which I haven’t played for 17 years. I am carrying extra weight, but as long as my clothes still fit, I’m not particularly motivated to lose a lot of weight as I think I’d end up looking older.

When I was 50, I had some Botox and fillers, the results were subtle and nobody thought it looked over done. Would I have it again, don’t think so?

I wish I could sleep more, but I’ve never really slept much, so I don’t think that’s going to change.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I’d started off with beauty, it might be easier, but sadly not

I cannot like your post @Austina because having met you in person I know this to be untrue. You are beautiful. On the inside and outside. That is an objective fact.

In my original post I forgot to list exercise as an important factor in keeping one looking good. Exercise for my body and mind. Definitely helps keep me looking more youthful. Thanks for that reminder @Austina.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure I have any beauty to speak of, however, I am grateful for what I have.

I shy away from the sun after being burnt to a crisp when I was 14 by thinking I could stay out all day in the sun with minimal sun protection.

I started to moisturise my face and skin in my early teens - thanks mum, I owe you that one.

I have a hair cut every month religiously as I have short hair most of my life. I have had about 3 regular hair cutters since 1989 as my hair is very straight and strong, and I have a double crown. Therefore, it is very difficult to cut, so once I have found a good cutter, I stick with him or her until he/she is not available.

I don't like to colour my hair as I dislike the smell and high maintenance.

I do my own nails as I had it down in a salon once and did not like the experience and I could do a better paint job myself. I seldom wear nail varnish though as it is too high maintenance.

I wish I could sleep more and drink more water.

Having the extra weight especially on my face helps to stretch the wrinkles for certain! :lol-2:

DK :))

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the doctor's office right now waiting for my laser resurfacing treatment.

I am high maintenance! I refuse to go down without a fight! :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the doctor's office right now waiting for my laser resurfacing treatment.

Lol and Good luck! Can we see a before and after? I’m so curious. 8)

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, please do show us a before and after. I'd love to be able to see the results

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok yall, I can't believe I am showing this. This is a B&A after 1 treatment. I am having a series of 4. Today is #2. I am numbing right now! The texture of my skin has really improved. The under eye crepe is getting better. I am pleased. Sorry my brow got cropped in the before pic. CollageMaker_20200205_100215894.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok yall, I can't believe I am showing this. This is a B&A after 1 treatment. I am having a series of 4. Today is #2. I am numbing right now! The texture of my skin has really improved. The under eye crepe is getting better. I am pleased. Sorry my brow got cropped in the before pic. CollageMaker_20200205_100215894.jpg

Looks amazing. Beautiful ❤️ Thank you for sharing!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks amazing. Beautiful ❤ Thank you for sharing!

Thank you! I am not sure about amazing or beautiful but it's an improvement!

Q

Queenie60

I use sunscreen every day, moisturize at night and for day I use a vitamin C Sirum and lots of eye cream! I exercise to keep my weight in check which also helps to maintain a more youthful appearance.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunscreen and tretinoin. That's the extent of it. I don't do surgery, fillers, and stuff. Don't care about tan, or rather, I avoid it at all cost. Don't care for makeup, eyelash and all that.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mostly for me it's exercise. I either run outdoors or head to the Gym 3 mornings a week. Being strong & feeling ok about my body helps me to carry myself more confidently. I'm currently battling love handles, but I'm slowly winning.

I have looked after my skin since I was a teen thanks to mum & an older sister, so I'm happy with my face & body, though my neck is starting to creep (I'm 45 now). I don't wear foundation & have always had nice skin.

In my early 20's I lost a lot of weight (8 stone) & this has always shown in my nose to mouth lines, which became very pronounced in my late 30's. So in 2015 I had Juvaderm filler popped in & haven't looked back. I have only had 1 top-up in the 5 years since - it's holding up really well. I am SO much more confident knowing I don't look like a Pound Puppy :lol: Here's a before & immediately after, complete with angry needle marks.

IMG_20150312_162631074.jpg
IMG_20150313_165328284.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woah! Sorry those pictures are so huge!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skin... Tons of moisturizer... And tanning and chemical peels.
What you see in photos is what you get, no makeup marvels or fancy camera filters, but I'm not opposed to literally and forcibly bringing out my best skin :bigsmile: One day at the beach gives me a no-burn tan that lasts six months, and I'll do either one in-salon session or two or three at-home peels the other half year.

Hair... I henna every three weeks or so. It's messy and time-consuming, and coverage is weak - it colours the white just enough to take the edge off. My other half and I went to dinner with one of his friends and his wife, who is also Indian. She and I both had "highlights" of exactly the same colour - hers strategically placed of course. But her roots were black, and mine were white. Ugh. :lol:

I feel like I missed Girls 101. I discovered hairspray in my twenties, and just figured out how to curl my lashes without yanking them out (ie. Before mascara!!) just a few months ago...

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've used Renova since my early 30s. I tend to shy away from treatments because Reniva makes your skin very sensitive. I have always been fastidious about my skin. In the morning I use Dr Gross alpha beta, once daily then let that dry. Then I apply serums which I kind of rotate around vitamin c, hyaluronic acid, hydrating B5. This is followed by eye cream and moisturizer and sunscreen. At night I use the Renova/Vitamin A. I'm 58 but I am just not up for plastic surgery or procedures, but never say never, right? Top is with eye liner, mascara, and lip moisturizer. Bottom photo is with lipstick. No filter apps with either. I dont wear foundation unless I'm going somewhere fancy lol. And yes, my cheeks can get that red after blow drying my hair. As far as beauty goes, my animals think I'm beautiful, particularly if I'm coming at them with a bowl of food.

20180414_163748.jpg
20151121_144730_kindlephoto-83970062_0.jpg

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've used Renova since my early 30s. I tend to shy away from treatments because Reniva makes your skin very sensitive. I have always been fastidious about my skin. In the morning I use Dr Gross alpha beta, once daily then let that dry. Then I apply serums which I kind of rotate around vitamin c, hyaluronic acid, hydrating B5. This is followed by eye cream and moisturizer and sunscreen. At night I use the Renova/Vitamin A. I'm 58 but I am just not up for plastic surgery or procedures, but never say never, right? Top is with eye liner, mascara, and lip moisturizer. Bottom photo is with lipstick. No filter apps with either. I dont wear foundation unless I'm going somewhere fancy lol. And yes, my cheeks can get that red after blow drying my hair. As far as beauty goes, my animals think I'm beautiful, particularly if I'm coming at them with a bowl of food.

20180414_163748.jpg
20151121_144730_kindlephoto-83970062_0.jpg

Shut up! You are NEVER 58?!!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I know I should do sunscreen. I'm just terribly lazy in the mornings, and it hasn't become a habit yet. But I know it's important, because I live somewhere sunny! 2020 resolution may be to get better with putting on sunscreen. @chrono this is the first time I've heard of tretinoin.

When I walk past cosmetics counters in departments stores I get told I don't need anything except moisturizer and sunscreen right now and to lay off the stronger stuff lest I build a resistance to it. I occasionally use a night cream with resveratrol because it's what my mom re-gifted to me for Christmas. Someone gave her the cream, but she already had her own skincare regimen she follows with a lot more consistency than I do.

I second @Alex T in thinking @doberman you look younger than anybody has a reason to expect for 57 or 58!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I should do sunscreen. I'm just terribly lazy in the mornings, and it hasn't become a habit yet. But I know it's important, because I live somewhere sunny! 2020 resolution may be to get better with putting on sunscreen. @chrono this is the first time I've heard of tretinoin.

When I walk past cosmetics counters in departments stores I get told I don't need anything except moisturizer and sunscreen right now and to lay off the stronger stuff lest I build a resistance to it. I occasionally use a night cream with resveratrol because it's what my mom re-gifted to me for Christmas. Someone gave her the cream, but she already had her own skincare regimen she follows with a lot more consistency than I do.

I second @Alex T in thinking @doberman you look younger than anybody has a reason to expect for 57 or 58!

Lol. But ask me how I feel. Intermittent pain in one knee, stiff neck, cracking joints. Yep, I'm 58 all right. They tell you to exercise and I did, i was quite active, but they dont warn you that you'll go snap crackle pop when walking around! After 50 i slowed down a bit. I just walk my dog and go to barre class.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have different thoughts. First, I dont care :) my husband still finds me gorgeous and that's all I care about.. but I must say I never ever cared about makeup, when I was young anytime I put anything on my face (except soap) I broke out into blotches, dots, itchy, red, horrible, puffy face, so I really didnt do much except wash my hair and go out.. as I aged I still had terrible problems with allergic reactions to any soaps, creams, etc, so in my 40s I segued into rosacea, never looking to do anything but use the medicine I am prescribed to wash my face with, warm weather is the bane of my facial skin.. when my 1st husband and I broke up and I was 32 I wore liner, curled my eyelashes and had that rosey look of an Irish rose, met my husband pretty quickly (like 4 days after breakup of #1 :) ) and wore make up for a while, till I incurred a scratched cornea.. so I wore make up maybe 3 years tops, John didn't notice.. been free since.

Now I would love a pix of Dorian Gray but I keep my 30 year old looks because of GOOD deeds!

Everyone is quite beautiful! I've seen a few here in real life too and I can attest to the fact that they are just as beautiful inside..

I may consider the juvaderm(?) that looks awesome!

Age has its benefits.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also like to see before and afters! I‘m chicken!

See above. It really works for skin texture and some collagen building. It hurts but not unbearable. For a day it looks and feels like a sunburn with some swelling for a few days. It is pretty easy recovery. If I had the guts, I would get the CO2 laser treatment and get all new skin. But that recovery is terrible, bandages, scabs, really horrible with a risk of infection. Maybe one day...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
See above. It really works for skin texture and some collagen building. It hurts but not unbearable. For a day it looks and feels like a sunburn with some swelling for a few days. It is pretty easy recovery. If I had the guts, I would get the CO2 laser treatment and get all new skin. But that recovery is terrible, bandages, scabs, really horrible with a risk of infection. Maybe one day...

@Gussie I don’t know the difference because I looked it up and I saw red bleeding faces..and scared the heck out of me..What is the exact name of the procedure you had done? I’m still chicken but very curious..You look great!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t do a thing...lol...I take my makeup off with cold cream and wash my face in the shower with Dove soap..I stay out of the sun for long periods of time. I’m very sensitive to sunscreen so can’t even put it on my body even though I had melanoma..I keep my skin covered instead. I do wear foundation because I can tolerate the sunscreen in that. I don’t have too many wrinkles on my face other than over and under my eyes...I’m 66. I have one deep wrinkle between my eyes that I hate... The under eye wrinkles are the crepey kind...They’re over my purple under eye circles so very lovely...I look okay as long as I’m wearing sunglasses..haha

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not well! :lol:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie I don’t know the difference because I looked it up and I saw red bleeding faces..and scared the heck out of me..What is the exact name of the procedure you had done? I’m still chicken but very curious..You look great!
Thank you! Resurfx is the brand name. It's a nonablative fractional laser. I really trust my dermatologist and aesthetician. It is very very important to go to a good doctor.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Resurfx is the brand name. It's a nonablative fractional laser. I really trust my dermatologist and aesthetician. It is very very important to go to a good doctor.

Thank you Gussie!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have different thoughts. First, I dont care :) my husband still finds me gorgeous and that's all I care about.. but I must say I never ever cared about makeup, when I was young anytime I put anything on my face (except soap) I broke out into blotches, dots, itchy, red, horrible, puffy face, so I really didnt do much except wash my hair and go out.. as I aged I still had terrible problems with allergic reactions to any soaps, creams, etc, so in my 40s I segued into rosacea, never looking to do anything but use the medicine I am prescribed to wash my face with, warm weather is the bane of my facial skin.. when my 1st husband and I broke up and I was 32 I wore liner, curled my eyelashes and had that rosey look of an Irish rose, met my husband pretty quickly (like 4 days after breakup of #1 :) ) and wore make up for a while, till I incurred a scratched cornea.. so I wore make up maybe 3 years tops, John didn't notice.. been free since.

Now I would love a pix of Dorian Gray but I keep my 30 year old looks because of GOOD deeds!

Everyone is quite beautiful! I've seen a few here in real life too and I can attest to the fact that they are just as beautiful inside..

I may consider the juvaderm(?) that looks awesome!

Age has its benefits.

The Juvaderm is amazing. And it's basically lab grown collagen, so it binds to your own collagen & eventually absorbs. The last lot I had I think was 4th generation? I can't recall, but it basically allows water to continue to bind to it, so it stays plumped under the surface of the skin for far longer. It's been 3 years since I had that & it looks as good as the day it was injected & so natural. There is local a anaesthetic in the syringe, so you feel the sharp needle scratch but then it numbs as the Dr injects. It's REALLY important you use a good doctor. A friend had hers done by a High St beautician & it was awful. It was lumpy & when she smiled it looked like little tiny peas under the surface of her skin. I go to a private hospital & have seen the same Consultant, who's main job in life is a Maxo-facial reconstructive surgeon. He knows the structure of the bones, muscles & skin inside out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results