shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you keep your hands looking young?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so dumb- I should’ve just called this thread, “How do you keep your hands looking beautiful?”
Because that’s what I really wanted to know. Hands can be beautiful at any age ❤️

@TheGarnetGirl I love that you read the poem to your mom instead of emailing it. So much more personal!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I’m so dumb- I should’ve just called this thread, “How do you keep your hands looking beautiful?”
Because that’s what I really wanted to know. Hands can be beautiful at any age ❤

@TheGarnetGirl I love that you read the poem to your mom instead of emailing it. So much more personal!

Please dont sweat it! :wink2:
Id love to hear others tips on how they pamper their hands and how they make themselves feel beautiful!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There really is no benefit to being overweight EXCEPT that your hands tend to keep from looking "old". Then again maybe this is the norm for 42.

IMG_8525.JPG

And it keeps your face younger!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6AC983A8-F967-479F-9CBC-64C0180D5049.jpeg This is 61 and darn proud! My mother died with young hands at 33.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6AC983A8-F967-479F-9CBC-64C0180D5049.jpeg This is 61 and darn proud! My mother died with young hands at 33.

I am so sorry you lost your mother at such a young age.

Aged hands are definitely a privilege I hope to earn!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! I found the poem I had been looking for! But I kind of like the one I found by accident even more. That being said, my mom lives on a farm so this one really spoke to me:

Originally found in Chicken Soup for the Soul.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never realized how old my hands looked until I joined this forum and posted some pictures of my modest bling...I use hand cream by the gallons it seems but they still look old...oh well I guess since I am going to be 60 this year they are old as well..sigh

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread made me put some hand lotion on just now. :lol:

Aside from what everyone has said about applying lotion immediately after washing your hands, I'd say try to always use gloves when washing dishes and doing other household cleaning that involves getting your hands wet.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love those poems @pearaffair.

2 quotes come to mind when I read this thread.

“And the beauty of a woman, with passing years only grows”
― Audrey Hepburn

“Spring passes and one remembers one's innocence.
Summer passes and one remembers one's exuberance.
Autumn passes and one remembers one's reverence.
Winter passes and one remembers one's perseverance.”
― Yoko Ono

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love those poems @pearaffair.

2 quotes come to mind when I read this thread.

“And the beauty of a woman, with passing years only grows”
― Audrey Hepburn

“Spring passes and one remembers one's innocence.
Summer passes and one remembers one's exuberance.
Autumn passes and one remembers one's reverence.
Winter passes and one remembers one's perseverance.”
― Yoko Ono

And these quotes are the perfect addition!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I'd rather enjoy looking at my hands aging
& they hate soap [to begin with] - so there are always several pairs of gloves for every use in the house; I hardly do much without a pair on; else, olive oil works as a [messy rub & scrape, overdue!] skin refresh & no more.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i only noticed last night my hands are looking older
i don't like the feel of lotion and i hate the feel of gloves
i hate the weight of nail polish even

i do like bigger wider rings though

yet i put lotion on my feet .....

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have old hands, but I'm old! And I spent many years washing my hands repeatedly at work, so that may have had some effect on their appearance. Arthritis has done the rest - how much bigger can my knuckles get? That's the question. But getting old sure beats the alternative!

20200316_185517.jpg

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
There really is no benefit to being overweight EXCEPT that your hands tend to keep from looking "old". Then again maybe this is the norm for 42.

IMG_8525.JPG

Ha Ha, I am 64 and my face doesn't look my age at all. Below my neck I'm 50lbs overweight. It is a tradeoff.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thing is, you can’t really keep your hands from aging no matter what you do. And I find it amusing how often times dear PSers say they have old hands when their hands are smooth and spot free.
I always think… Just wait, then you’ll know what old really looks like! LOL 8A959242-AE37-45E0-A74D-E0F59D4DFB10.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am remembering my grandma's hands. Filled with wrinkles and age spots and so warm and generous in all they did for others. No more beautiful hands existed anywhere. Yeah, wrinkly hands that show all the years of kind and generous loving actions. That is true beauty. I wish I had a photo of my grandmother's hands. Thank you grandma for all you did for your family. Your continued love and compassion for us gave me the strength to go on without you.

Here is the full quote I posted before.
truebeauty.jpg

and if I may share this one too.

voiceforkindness.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
60 in 2.5 weeks. Sunscreen and oil. Genetics. Prayer. Vague hopefulness? Optimism? All of the above. I started looking after my hands and nails in my teens, anticipating the time when time would not be on my side. We're definitely there now. Did all the effort help? Who knows. But I think the attempt is worth it. I've never had those lovely, long, slender fingers that so many of the gals here have, so I've done all I could to preserve my skin and care for my nails. Results - mixed.

I've also lost a bunch of weight, which has given me a little of that 'deflated balloons' look. I still have another 25 lbs to go, so not sure how they'll look when I'm done, but hopefully they'll hold together ok. (Saggy) fingers crossed!

20200602_160836.jpg

Last edited:

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I don't love the appearance of my hands but I love and appreciate what my hands can do so I am only grateful for my hands and their abilities. I have OA in my fingers and that has changed their appearance as well as the normal aging process. I wear sunblock on my hands if I am going to be exposing them to the sun for any length of time and I moisturize after washing every single time. That's all I do. Here are my 54 year old arthritic hands. Photo taken about 2 weeks ago.
My left hand pinky finger is the most affected so far from OA but my index finger also has it.

bubbalahamongthegreenery.png
Your hands look beautiful!!!!!!! Much younger than your stated age.
What creams do you use?:appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your hands look beautiful!!!!!!! Much younger than your stated age.
What creams do you use?:appl:

Thank you. Currently I’m using this.
D2052BB6-E2ED-46FC-95C3-40839EC53816.jpeg

I always protect my hands if I’m going to be exposed to UV light for any extended amount of time. Either with sunscreen (COTZ) or with spf gloves while cycling.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
@kenny - no age shaming intended!
I asked mainly because my grandmother lived to age 95 and we were best friends and she took great care of herself, made the most of what nature gave her, and I aspire to do the same. Nevertheless, perhaps you might enjoy this poem I like:

My Mother's Hands
Such a lovely ring, she said.
It even looks good on my ugly hands.
As if those hands were lacking.
As if those hands –
hard working hands –
Bore no beauty of their own.

My mother’s hands,
That held the soap
To scrub my baby toes;
Whose hands were there
To show me how
To blot my runny nose.

Those hands that later
held my hands
And patiently did teach me
How to tie my shoes -
Then held them once again
To coax and guide my own
To write my cursive name
Until the time when I alone
Could do the very same.

My mother’s hands,
That fed me,
And tucked me in at night;
Who touched my fevered brow
And soothed away my fright.

My mother’s hands,
That all my life
Gave comfort, care and hope.
And when my children came to be,
I watched my mother’s hands -
a new grandmother’s hands -
Touch my children, tenderly.

My mother’s hands,
Yes, weathered by their toil,
The fingers wide,
And aged with years –
and just like her,
Still sure and strong
Yet gentle as they ever were.

My mother’s hands –
She looks, and says they’re ugly
But I don’t know what to say.
For when I see
My mother’s hands
It’s the beauty of
The love they gave,
Assuring strength
And constant grace
All held within
My mother’s hands.

Lin Cava
OMG. I’m crying too. Beautiful poem.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I try really hard to stay out of the sun. My family has a history of all different types of skin cancer, so I make it a priority to keep my skin healthy.

My dermatologist told me to buy some sun blocking gloves and wear them when I drive. Because our hands are in the perfect "baking" spot when we are driving, our hands are prime spots for receiving sun damage (and all that goes along with it from skin cancer to premature aging.) I actually like wearing my driving gloves because I like the way they grip the wheal. Also I hate the way sunscreen on my hands gets white spots on my purse.

Also I think focussing on our overall health can keep our hands looking their best. General inflamation in our bodies from stress, lack of sleep, unhealthy eating habits, etc can affect the joints in our hands, the skin of our hands, etc. And when we are dehydrated our fingers swell.

Healthy is beautiful, so the more we focus on maintaining our health and well being, the more beautiful all our parts, including our hands, will be.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny - no age shaming intended!
I asked mainly because my grandmother lived to age 95 and we were best friends and she took great care of herself, made the most of what nature gave her, and I aspire to do the same. Nevertheless, perhaps you might enjoy this poem I like:

My Mother's Hands
Such a lovely ring, she said.
It even looks good on my ugly hands.
As if those hands were lacking.
As if those hands –
hard working hands –
Bore no beauty of their own.

My mother’s hands,
That held the soap
To scrub my baby toes;
Whose hands were there
To show me how
To blot my runny nose.

Those hands that later
held my hands
And patiently did teach me
How to tie my shoes -
Then held them once again
To coax and guide my own
To write my cursive name
Until the time when I alone
Could do the very same.

My mother’s hands,
That fed me,
And tucked me in at night;
Who touched my fevered brow
And soothed away my fright.

My mother’s hands,
That all my life
Gave comfort, care and hope.
And when my children came to be,
I watched my mother’s hands -
a new grandmother’s hands -
Touch my children, tenderly.

My mother’s hands,
Yes, weathered by their toil,
The fingers wide,
And aged with years –
and just like her,
Still sure and strong
Yet gentle as they ever were.

My mother’s hands –
She looks, and says they’re ugly
But I don’t know what to say.
For when I see
My mother’s hands
It’s the beauty of
The love they gave,
Assuring strength
And constant grace
All held within
My mother’s hands.

Lin Cava

This poem is beautiful & made me feel quite teary. It is absolutely spot on. I will be 46 in 2 weeks & my hands are already crepey from too much sun & hard work over the years. I see them as ugly. In my 20's people used to tell me I should be a hand model, due to my long slim fingers, always long & polished nails & glowing skin, but they wouldn't say that now. But my 76 year old mothers hands, also tanned & crepey, to me are the most wonderful, softest hands in the world.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the butters...lol Dryest skin on my body are my hands and my ankle (and oddly front part of my shin!!) which got worse during menopause! Lotion is not cutting it anymore. I drink tons of water, def. has to do with hormonal change.

coco butter
shae butter
coconut oils
palm oils
olive oils

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't love the appearance of my hands but I love and appreciate what my hands can do so I am only grateful for my hands and their abilities. I have OA in my fingers and that has changed their appearance as well as the normal aging process. I wear sunblock on my hands if I am going to be exposing them to the sun for any length of time and I moisturize after washing every single time. That's all I do. Here are my 54 year old arthritic hands. Photo taken about 2 weeks ago.
My left hand pinky finger is the most affected so far from OA but my index finger also has it.

bubbalahamongthegreenery.png

I am 54 years old and your hands look amazing!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been an excessive had washer for decades well before COVID- 19, I've also had old lady hands since my 20s they are dried out wrinkled and the oldest looking part of my whole body.

I'm a dig in the dirt, wash the dishes with no gloves on work with my hands kinda girl which sucks for jewellery photos but it is what it is.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone said that all phones have filters these day. I just want to say, my iPhone does nothing to make me look better... maybe it's defective?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone said that all phones have filters these day. I just want to say, my iPhone does nothing to make me look better... maybe it's defective?

I said that. And I stand by it. I have an iPhone 11 but even my 7 used to do that. Look for blurriness. Look for a prominent mole or scar that mysteriously disappears in pics.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I guess my hands do look older in some ways. I agree that healthy is beautiful but what if you aren’t exactly? I have Bechterew’s too so all those mentioning knuckles, lol, don’t say anything. Otherwise, I have long and slender fingers but those knuckles are a problem. This disease can cause ugly skin on the hands too because of extreme dryness. I have no facial lines but some on hands.

I am only 44 and most women I know with this including my mom get surgery on the hands around 60. Despite the knuckles and a bit of wrinkling/sagging I have to say I love my hands and am not ashamed of them at all. They are character hands, they are mine and I love character stones to go with them. I do take great care of them and treasure them because they can hold rings!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results