shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you keep track of your gemstones?

VioletGem

Rough_Rock
How do you keep track of your gemstones? Do you have any type of inventory or labeling system?

I’ve realized I need to do something because I’ve amassed a enough of a collection that I can’t remember which earrings are chrome diopside vs tsavorite vs green spinel (bad example) or what the stones are in some rings, etc.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no system. They are all in gem jars or tiny plastic bags. I used to have an old tackle box which worked ok for a while.
Then I bought some bead storage boxes from the craft store, and they work better.
These boxes are good for all kinds of jewelry storage, too.
1575985111068.png

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have a handwritten notebook documenting what I've bought, and I keep the little labeled gem boxes I've received.

It helps that I have custom pieces made, not buying ready-made pieces, for knowing what's what in my jewelry pieces.

I also restrict the selection of what I buy. Except for sphene and hauyne, I don't have a single gem under a 7 on the Mohs scale. I don't buy any treated sapphire or ruby, apart from some melee.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Google spreadsheet with pictures and relevant information (carat weight, dimensions, origin, seller).

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I plan to make a digital inventory plus occasionally print a copy for my files. But when that will happen - who knows? Mostly for jewelry so my kids can figure it all out when I die (hopefully no time soon)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I print out a screen shot of the gemstone listing and keep my receipt with that.

I also print out photos of completed items and make notes on that. All stored in a labeled binder that I’ve showed my kids.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Excel sheet that I need to update cause I bought some new stuff (spinel set, various small purchases from eBay, 3 spinel, 1 CC garnet, 2 star enstatite and 1 iolite from the mineral fair in Rome). I've been slacking, need to grab my earbuds, put some music and start typing away. :lol:
As far as storage I always go for gem boxes, preferably white. But each box can contain several stones inside depending on Mohs hardness (like the garnet box has 8-9 small stones inside)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have hundreds of stones scattered everywhere, no notes, zip. I have a fairly good memory.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results