shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you get a musty smell out of a mink coat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
My DH's elderly aunt gave me a mink coat. It is very pretty, but unfortunately for many years she hasn't stored it properly, and it has quite a musty smell. I took it to a furrier to get it cleaned, but it stilll smells (to me at least; they claimed that it was normal but I can't imagine why people pay so much for fur coats if they smell so bad). Does anyone know if it is possible to get a musty smell out of a fur coat once it's in there?

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Take it to a professional cleaners or a place that sells fur coats they should be able to refer you to someone who can take care of it....

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I have a few fur coats in my wardrobe and that includes two minks. They shouldn''t smell... go to or call a fur dealer ask where they''d go for service.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Alexis and MissP. I did take it to one fur dealer; it seems the same folks who sell furs are those who clean them. So I took it to one place, and they cleaned it and it still smells, and then they said "it doesn''t smell that bad; it''s just normal." MissP, thank you for the input because I knew that they couldn''t be right that it''s just how fur smells! But now I''m at a loss, because I could just keep taking it to other dealers to get it cleaned again at $70 - 150 a pop
23.gif
, but maybe it''s impossible to get it clean? One place said they''d have to take the lining out to clean it and then put it back in, but I don''t want to pay so much if that doesn''t work either.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I had this issue once. I lent my fur coat to a smoker, who made the coat smell so bad I had done everything to get it out. Oddly, this is what worked, as suggested by my own smoking friend:

Leave it in the bathroom with an ozone purifier, it worked for me. It took a whole day but it was truly gone. I am told the same thing works for mold, as it should in concept. I used one I had gotten at Sharper Image, this one: Ionic ozone purifier

Or put the coat in a garmet bag sealed with coffee beans in the bottom. Replace the beans until the coat smells like coffee, then air it out and the smell is completely gone. No coffee, no mildew. But the

Some people say dilute fabric softener, or use Febreeze to get the inside (which is likely the source of the mold), but I say that proper storage is super important, and should always be stored at a furrier, if you don''t have the refrigeration needed. Here in NY I pay about $50/coat, so it''s not even a big deal, but certainly worth it to make sure the coat is properly stored and doesn''t get that musty mildew smell...

Do a search of your local yellow pages. To me, it''s like the upkeep on a fine watch. Somethings are worst the extra investment to keep in their pristine order, because if well kept they will keep for many many years...plus you won''t smell like an old lady''s closet while looking fabulous!
31.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, I guess Nicrez''s idea sounds more logical but I was going to suggest you cook up a whole mess of bacon while wearing your coat. That oughta do it. But you might have dogs following you around for awhile...

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Nicrez, thanks for the tips! I might have to try the coffee first, as it is cheaper than the ozone purifier, but if all else fails I might have to invest in one of those. Aunt actually did used to keep it properly stored, as we found receipts in her house from the mid-1970s for cold storage at the furrier. But at some point she must have either figured it was too expensive (she was dirt poor; strange I know considering she had a fur coat! - she got the fur while working, but retired early to take care of her aged mother, and never went back to work after) or for whatever reason, stopped and just had it in a closet for years.
8.gif
Hopefully one of your tricks will work!

surfgirl, your post made me laugh; who knows, if I get desperate enough it might be worth a try!
3.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, Nicrez, I meant to ask, did the end of this sentence get chopped out inadvertently?

Date: 11/19/2007 12:50:31 PM
Author: Nicrez
Or put the coat in a garmet bag sealed with coffee beans in the bottom. Replace the beans until the coat smells like coffee, then air it out and the smell is completely gone. No coffee, no mildew. But the

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results