shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you decide whether to keep or sell pieces you don’t wear?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I’m in a major purging phase right now and my eye has fallen on my jewelry box. It is massive, but the items I actually wear represent a fraction of what I own. Many of the items I no longer wear were gifts from family over the years, or represent pieces I bought when my taste was very different. Some were pre-PS purchases I would not make now.

All of this leads me to wonder how all of you decide what to keep and what to let go, especially where sentimentality is concerned. I’m having a hard time justifying keeping things I’m not wearing, but I’m also aware that family members would be irritated (that might be putting it mildly) if I let some of these things go.

Gah. Advice welcome.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear many of my pieces but it wouldn't be worth it to me to sell them as I would take too much of a loss. So instead I am keeping them for my nieces. The only piece I ever sold was Bea because I needed to sell her to get Bubbalah. Otherwise I am happy to keep them for my nieces when they are older and can enjoy them.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GOSH... I think about this all the time. I've sold over half of what I had, but I still have waaaaayyy too much jewelry. There are certain things I don't wear that I can't bring myself to sell though...

- original 1/2 eternity bezel band (the milgrain is just too nice, then there's the sentimental value)
- my teeny, tiny 10K YG baby ring with white zircon (because I want to give it to my little girl)
- several stackers that I love but rarely wear...
- HS YG class ring (because it means nothing to anyone except me - LOL)

I would sell my DK gray spinel three stone, but only for close to what I put into it. I love it, but never wear it. I've found out (the hard, expensive way) that I'm just not a RHR person.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in a major purging phase right now and my eye has fallen on my jewelry box. It is massive, but the items I actually wear represent a fraction of what I own. Many of the items I no longer wear were gifts from family over the years, or represent pieces I bought when my taste was very different. Some were pre-PS purchases I would not make now.

All of this leads me to wonder how all of you decide what to keep and what to let go, especially where sentimentality is concerned. I’m having a hard time justifying keeping things I’m not wearing, but I’m also aware that family members would be irritated (that might be putting it mildly) if I let some of these things go.

Gah. Advice welcome.

@Tonks... what you thinking of selling, girl?? ;-)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep sentimental pieces and items I cannot replace or at least not replace without looking for years for a similar stone/piece. As for family members- my DH is always upset when I sell anything. "Why do you need to sell that" he always moans. It seems wasteful to me to keep adding to my collection while unworn items sit in my jewelry box. My reply is that he was born with the hoarder gene and I was not. :twisted2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assuming the ‘purge’ is not out of need (e.g., financial), I think I’d approach it the same way I do my closet. If it doesn’t fit and/or I haven’t worn it in X amount of time, and I don’t ever foresee wearing that item again (e.g., long out of style), then it’s time for it to go. If it’s something someone else can/would use, I donate it in hopes of helping someone else as well as not being wasteful.

In the case of jewelry, if it doesn’t fit and you don’t/won’t wear it, put it in the ‘to-go’ pile. The only caveat there being, if it’s family heirloom item, I might be inclined to ask around to other family members if they would wear/might want the item so its sentiment stays in the family, before I sell it, if that makes sense. But if it’s a large family, that can open up a can of worms as well, so I’d just be sure to think through how you plan to offer those items back up to avoid hurt feelings, conflict, etc. where possible.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
No, not a financially motivated clean out. We are purging a lot of other things for home renovations and it just has me in that mindset.

As for what exactly, I’m thinking of selling, I don’t really know yet.

I was hanging onto a lot of stuff for my daughter, but it turns out she has crazy metal allergies. Fortunately it is looking like she can wear rings without incident (at least for a few hours here and there) but the only earrings she can tolerate are platinum. So that really changes my math.

We are also starting to get a better sense of her style, and I went through some of the things I’ve been saving with her the other day. She doesn’t have interest in most of them. She’s still pretty young (middle school), and I want to give her long enough for her adult taste to have developed, but I can already see that she has a very different aesthetic than I did at her age and as a young adult when I got many of these pieces. And I am thrilled that she has such a clear sense of who she is.

So that’s where I am...realizing that I should be developing a plan. :lol: And curious as to how all of you have handled this stuff.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
GOSH... I think about this all the time. I've sold over half of what I had, but I still have waaaaayyy too much jewelry. There are certain things I don't wear that I can't bring myself to sell though...

- original 1/2 eternity bezel band (the milgrain is just too nice, then there's the sentimental value)
- my teeny, tiny 10K YG baby ring with white zircon (because I want to give it to my little girl)
- several stackers that I love but rarely wear...
- HS YG class ring (because it means nothing to anyone except me - LOL)

I would sell my DK gray spinel three stone, but only for close to what I put into it. I love it, but never wear it. I've found out (the hard, expensive way) that I'm just not a RHR person.

I did sell my high school class ring several years back when gold was at an all time high. It was a pretty signet ring style but I was never going to wear it again. Sold it and a bunch of other stuff that was either broken or that I hadn’t worn in decades, and I do not regret it at all.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If I have not worn it in over 6 months and don't love it, I think about selling it.

I also know myself better now. If the center diamond is not a good size, unless it's a navette or cluster, I don't tend to wear it.

If it's too much of a loss, I keep it and try to repurpose or hope my interest turns to it again.

I have a few things I just like, so I keep them, but if it's something I really don't love and don't wear, then I think about selling.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I don't wear many of my pieces but it wouldn't be worth it to me to sell them as I would take too much of a loss. So instead I am keeping them for my nieces. The only piece I ever sold was Bea because I needed to sell her to get Bubbalah. Otherwise I am happy to keep them for my nieces when they are older and can enjoy them.

I'm doing the same Missy. I already have favorites that I know will go to my nieces and goddaughter. For the items I am for sure not wearing now, I have put them in a separate place. So, that now when I go to my jewelry box I will find items I really want to wear. Plus it makes me nervous to get rid of jewelry - I worry I will want to wear it someday or some emotional reason will come up.

Maybe Tonks - you could separate the things you are not wearing and put them somewhere safe for a few years and then either gift them or begin selling? Great job on letting go of things btw!
:geek2:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I'm doing the same Missy. I already have favorites that I know will go to my nieces and goddaughter. For the items I am for sure not wearing now, I have put them in a separate place. So, that now when I go to my jewelry box I will find items I really want to wear. Plus it makes me nervous to get rid of jewelry - I worry I will want to wear it someday or some emotional reason will come up.

Maybe Tonks - you could separate the things you are not wearing and put them somewhere safe for a few years and then either gift them or begin selling? Great job on letting go of things btw!
:geek2:

I LOVE this idea!!! Get a smaller jewelry box for the items I wear all the time and love, and separate the others out. This would be a great way to get some emotional distance, as well as to test whether they would truly be missed.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE this idea!!! Get a smaller jewelry box for the items I wear all the time and love, and separate the others out. This would be a great way to get some emotional distance, as well as to test whether they would truly be missed.

Yes I think you will love it! I had been needing to clean out my jewelry box, as I had been organizing the house, but I was scared of how to do it without panic attacks lol! SoI when, a wonderful PSer, I believe Pinto bean showed us all that Wolf jewelry boxes were on sale, I ordered one! The sentimental and items I'm passing in to others are in one atea, my current faces are in my new pink Wolf, and then I have plastic baggies filled with costume jewelry and broken fine jewelry, items I'm done with but don't have much monetary value. Now I just have to figure out what to do with that stuff. Any ideas folks?
I can't tell you how great it feels to have gone through all my jewelry. It's a process but we're getting there!:geek2::wavey:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, not a financially motivated clean out. We are purging a lot of other things for home renovations and it just has me in that mindset.

As for what exactly, I’m thinking of selling, I don’t really know yet.

I was hanging onto a lot of stuff for my daughter, but it turns out she has crazy metal allergies. Fortunately it is looking like she can wear rings without incident (at least for a few hours here and there) but the only earrings she can tolerate are platinum. So that really changes my math.

We are also starting to get a better sense of her style, and I went through some of the things I’ve been saving with her the other day. She doesn’t have interest in most of them. She’s still pretty young (middle school), and I want to give her long enough for her adult taste to have developed, but I can already see that she has a very different aesthetic than I did at her age and as a young adult when I got many of these pieces. And I am thrilled that she has such a clear sense of who she is.

So that’s where I am...realizing that I should be developing a plan. :lol: And curious as to how all of you have handled this stuff.
with regard to you daughter her taste will change as she gets older like it does for almost all of us
what she might show no interest in now, might one day be just the pergect thing
if your on a major purge shurley then there is ample room to keep more than a few maybes ?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I give it away. I suppose there is some scrap metal, but it's probably worth nothing really. I should probably collect all the scrap in one small box though. I already gave all the maybes to my daughters. What is left is stuff I wear and the scrap.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I think you will love it! I had been needing to clean out my jewelry box, as I had been organizing the house, but I was scared of how to do it without panic attacks lol! SoI when, a wonderful PSer, I believe Pinto bean showed us all that Wolf jewelry boxes were on sale, I ordered one! The sentimental and items I'm passing in to others are in one atea, my current faces are in my new pink Wolf, and then I have plastic baggies filled with costume jewelry and broken fine jewelry, items I'm done with but don't have much monetary value. Now I just have to figure out what to do with that stuff. Any ideas folks?
I can't tell you how great it feels to have gone through all my jewelry. It's a process but we're getting there!:geek2::wavey:
i just thought of something !
any wee girls in the family ?
as a young child i delighted in playing with my great aunty's beautiful art deco.costume jewlery that no one wanted
as much as i wish i still had it at least i got to play with it and have fun
i inherited that great aunt's diamond ER from my mother which is beautiful but i still think with great fondness of those sparkly bits of paste
and these days little girls see so girly maybe you have a niece or a family friend who would like to accessorize her dress ups

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
i just thought of something !
any wee girls in the family ?
as a young child i delighted in playing with my great aunty's beautiful art deco.costume jewlery that no one wanted
as much as i wish i still had it at least i got to play with it and have fun
i inherited that great aunt's diamond ER from my mother which is beautiful but i still think with great fondness of those sparkly bits of paste
and these days little girls see so girly maybe you have a niece or a family friend who would like to accessorize her dress ups

Thank you Daisy and Diamonds - that is a great idea! My nieces would love that!!!:love:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

Are Wolf jewelry boxes what you would recommend? I would really love to have a nice one.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Yes I love mine! I will try to get a pic soon. I got the pink and it's gorgeous:love:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a hoarder. I have WAY too much jewellery and now I’m retired most days I’m not even putting in earrings.
However my jewellery gives me great joy. I find it soothing to get a pile out and clean and polish them and admire the workmanship and gemstones.
I have a substantial watch collection. Probably around 50. I no longer actively buy watches but if I do I will sell another to fund the purchase.
My daughter has no interest in jewellery except for earrings. She has raided my earrings box which I don’t mind and she loves Opals.
I had a substantial sterling silver collection which I gave away over birthday and Christmases to my nieces. That was great fun. I’m a “cool aunt” ha ha.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another hoarder. Sometimes I force myself to go through my stuff and pick things to sell...but it never makes a dent as I think of all kinds of reasons to keep things "just in case" (same for clothes, lol). I have a box of stuff that I will pick from to sell when I feel guilty over my jewelry spend. I try to price things for what I think is a fair preloved price with little (or no) wiggle room. Generally speaking, I'd rather keep things or give them away to someone I know than accept a lowball price.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm saving some smaller pieces for DD and nieces. They are separated out from my everyday jewelry. Have been mulling over trading in my MRB for a large eternity because I don't seem wear as often as I thought I would but not ready to actually do it.

I also have some broken pieces that I don't want to spend money to fix because I won't wear them anyway. Thinking of selling them for scrap but not sure if the price is right now.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I went through a major jewelry purging phase. I wanted to simplify to the point where I could fit everything in a small antique jewelry box I restored. The only thing I kept that I don’t wear often are two sentimental pieces - my great-aunt’s ruby ring (which is actually likely paste) given to me by my mother and a short strand of pearls given to me by my late father-in-law. I was lucky (?) that I didn’t have many sentimental pieces that I had to struggle with whether or not to let go.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results