shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you deal with solicitors?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
This is all completely new to me.... I had always lived in big buildings and walk ups, so I had no idea how annoying it would be having a front door right off the street! AND we recently got a landline. So I feel like I'm constantly running at top speed downstairs or to the phone, only to get the usual, "Hi, are you the homeowner?" spiel. I really value my privacy (Yes, kind of ironic that I post here, I know!) and believe that one's home should be off-limits, private space, so it's frustrating.

Do you have many solicitors in your neighborhood? How do you deal with them - Post a sign? Tell them off? Completely ignore?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are in a new community in the 'burbs, so last year we had A LOT of activity, but this year not so much. I also cut off my home phone so don't get those sort of calls (but I do win an abnormally high amount of cruises on my cell phone!).

When someone comes to the door I will peek out, and if I feel like answering I will. If it's someone trying to sell me something, I just say that I'm not interested. If they keep asking, all I say is "I'm not interested, sorry.' and then close the door on them haha. I've heard some reports of some more aggressive sales people in the area who will put the foot in the door, and if that happened I'd tell them to get the F off my property so fast or I'd be calling the cops.

But usually, it goes fine! You can also have a sign on the door that says no solicitors (except for cookies/popcorn from school kids if that's what you want). Idk if those actually work though.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be happy to lend you The Demon. He doesn't like strangers, especially if he senses that *I* don't like the stranger. I just stand at my glass door and let him throw himself against it, teeth gnashing, sharp nailed paws scraping down the glass. I think it's ultimately the flying foamy spittle and the whites of his eyes that drives them off.

It might take some training to get him working on the phone part though. He has a hard time picking up the receiver with his paws.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
blingbunny10|1455731257|3992122 said:
I really value my privacy (Yes, kind of ironic that I post here, I know!)

It's actually not ironic at all...I think fora are the perfect place for introverts (although I'm not sure if you consider yourself an introvert).

I don't get a lot of solicitors.

But even if I did...as a rule, I don't answer the door. My family/friends know not to come by announced (don't live visits too much much less announced!) so if I don't know you're coming, I don't open the door.

That said if that's not your style - you could ask from behind the door before you open it "who is it please?" and when they say "are you the homeowner?" Say "yes I am, but thank you, I am not interested. No offense, but please take my house off your list to visit. Thank you for understanding." And walk away.

If you choose to answer the door, I'd give the same answer, with a smile, say thank you, and close the door.

Are there any laws about soliciting? (I never thought about this before it would be interesting if there were, much like the do not call list.)

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
telephone89|1455731665|3992128 said:
We are in a new community in the 'burbs, so last year we had A LOT of activity, but this year not so much. I also cut off my home phone so don't get those sort of calls (but I do win an abnormally high amount of cruises on my cell phone!).

When someone comes to the door I will peek out, and if I feel like answering I will. If it's someone trying to sell me something, I just say that I'm not interested. If they keep asking, all I say is "I'm not interested, sorry.' and then close the door on them haha. I've heard some reports of some more aggressive sales people in the area who will put the foot in the door, and if that happened I'd tell them to get the F off my property so fast or I'd be calling the cops.

But usually, it goes fine! You can also have a sign on the door that says no solicitors (except for cookies/popcorn from school kids if that's what you want). Idk if those actually work though.

A foot in the door would be terrifying!

My husband says if I don't know the person, I shouldn't feel obligated to answer the door at all, but I'm always afraid it could be a neighbor or some other community member I don't know yet, and they'd think, "So, the lady's car is here and she's looking out the window, but won't answer? What a weirdo/a-hole!" So I answer every time, and of course it turns out to be just another solicitor.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Dee*Jay|1455731684|3992129 said:
I will be happy to lend you The Demon. He doesn't like strangers, especially if he senses that *I* don't like the stranger. I just stand at my glass door and let him throw himself against it, teeth gnashing, sharp nailed paws scraping down the glass. I think it's ultimately the flying foamy spittle and the whites of his eyes that drives them off.

It might take some training to get him working on the phone part though. He has a hard time picking up the receiver with his paws.

:lol: :lol: I love that description! What kind of dog is he? I bet he's a big sweetheart with his family. :bigsmile:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
blingbunny10|1455732029|3992138 said:

My husband says if I don't know the person, I shouldn't feel obligated to answer the door at all, but I'm always afraid it could be a neighbor or some other community member I don't know yet, and they'd think, "So, the lady's car is here and she's looking out the window, but won't answer? What a weirdo/a-hole!" So I answer every time, and of course it turns out to be just another solicitor.
LOL yes peeking out the window and not answering might be weird. I use the peephole and try to make sure they don't see me :lol:

eta - if you are new, you can also go introduce yourself to the neighbors. That way you'll know who they are in case they do come to the door. I always like to meet our neighbors and it creates more of a community feel. It's also helpful should anything weird happen. They can be like 'yeah, this weird red car was parked outside blingbunnys house. Didn't look like her or her husbands' kind of dealie.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Demon's official breed of dog is BAD, with a long lineage of MEAN. He's good with a certain very very very small group of people, none of whom are solicitors!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"So, the lady's car is here and she's looking out the window, but won't answer? What a weirdo/a-hole!" So I answer every time, and of course it turns out to be just another solicitor.

Yes they can't know you're looking or that you see them! :lol:

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
telephone89|1455732162|3992141 said:

LOL yes peeking out the window and not answering might be weird. I use the peephole and try to make sure they don't see me :lol:

eta - if you are new, you can also go introduce yourself to the neighbors. That way you'll know who they are in case they do come to the door. I always like to meet our neighbors and it creates more of a community feel. It's also helpful should anything weird happen. They can be like 'yeah, this weird red car was parked outside blingbunnys house. Didn't look like her or her husbands' kind of dealie.

I think the answer is I need a new peephole for secret peeping! Or a security camera, lol. I do know a few of our immediate neighbors, but not most. It's definitely a close knit community - another reason I don't want to accidentally be a weirdo/a-hole to a neighbor! :lol:

I just found some not-too-ugly "No Soliciting" signs on Amazon. Worth a try!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"I'll need to see your solicitation permit."

Check your local laws/ordinances/policies on door-to-door solicitations. Many places are now requiring permits to solicit.

Ex: http://www.readingpa.gov/content/reading-door-door-solicitation-policy

I hate solicitors. Our neighborhood has very clear signage posted at both entrances that says "No Soliciting." So if I answer the door (never when home alone!) I ask to see their permit (almost always sends them scurrying away) or I direct them to the entrance signs which state our neighborhood's policy on solicitors.

If I want a product I will seek it out for myself. I don't need you to bring it to my door. Sorry, can you tell I feel really strongly about this??? :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not open my front door.
Everyone, even neighbors, knows to call first.

No landline and nearly zero spam calls on my cell ... maybe one a year.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Based on what you report your fear of being thought of as a weirdo/a-hole isn't working for you.

I'm fine if/when others think I'm a weirdo-a-hole, and I'm glad I do not experience the conflict you are experiencing.

There's that wonderful saying, "What others think of me is none of my business." :lol:

Q

Queenie60

My security system allows me to answer my door via intercom. I do not open the door for anyone I do not know or who I am not expecting. I've had some very aggressive sales people who have become upset with me because I'm speaking to them through the intercom system. Their problem, not mine and obviously I don't want to open the door for someone who would become upset with a NO or GO AWAY. As for the phone, when I pick up and there's a delay, that's when I know it is a solicitor. I hang up. I have recently gotten some telemarketing calls on my cell phone. Odd thing is, I am on the "do not call" list. Such an invasion of privacy and quite annoying.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1455742089|3992207 said:
I'm fine if/when others think I'm a weirdo-a-hole, and I'm glad I do not experience the conflict you are experiencing.

There's that wonderful saying, "What others think of me is none of my business." :lol:

:lol:

I kind of do, because I'm not (well actually... :devil:) but not enough to open the door. :bigsmile:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always lock my storm door - it's my first line of defense. The kitties like to look out the storm door, so when the weather is nicer, I leave the front door open. Go figure one of the handful of times I DIDN'T lock it, an obnoxious delivery man, OPENED my storm door and tossed the package into my foyer!

As for phone calls, I always say "Please put me on your do not call list" - not that it always works because I've gotten calls 4x in a row where I'm being told I have a windows virus, but they hang up before I can get the whole phrase out of my mouth!

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Our neighborhood has a sign posted at the entrance : No Solicitation. That has helped tremendously. I do not answer my door if I am not expecting anyone. If I needed it, I would put a No Solicitation sign near my doorbell. I believe there are options available on etsy.

I do not answer my phone if I don't recognize the phone number. For persistent callers/telemarketers, I block the number on my phone. It rings maybe a half ring and then my phone automatically disconnects them. :)

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The minute you ooen the door you've lost all control.

There is a scam in Phoenix where a frantic pregnant wonan knocks on the door, the guy is out of vision off to the side. He appears when the door is opened.

I don't open the door unless I know the knocker. I don't care if they have a uniform or a clipboard. When I'm home I go to tthe sidelight windows to my front door so that I'm seen---there was a robbery group in my neighborhood who would knock first and if no answered, went to break in around back. When a stranger at the door sees me I frown and shake my head negatively to indicate I'm not opening the door. If they persist, and sometimes they do, I hold up my cell phone and say 911? They leave then.

I just ordered a video doorbell, I can answer my door from another state using my cell phone, the knocker and I can speak and they are on video. $199. Saw it on This Old House.

Consider reading the Gavin de Becker book, The Gift of Fear. You are being assesed by predators when they ask you inappropriate questions (Are you the homeowner? Etc) and you answer; they knock on the door and you open it. See, tgey are in charge, you're giving control up of your safety.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another person that doesnt open the door to anyone they dont recognize :wavey: . If I'm not expecting you...well, to bad.
Phone numbers also come up on our TV and on one of our receivers. If we dont recognize your number, we dont answer.
You can leave a voice mail and we'll get back to you if it's important to us. We usually dont care about offending strangers.
Heck, sometimes we dont even care about offending people we know :cheeky: !

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Voila!

_598.png

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is very timely.

On Sunday night our doorbell rang. My husband answered, but didn't open the security screen. My security screen blocks a person's view so all that you can see is an outline. It was a strange young man (early 30's) who asked if there were squatters in our house. My husband told him no and asked why. The guy called himself a vigilante and said, "you never know." The guy was wearing mechanic's gloves. At that point my husband began asking the guy questions, what was his name (Mike), what was his last name (He wasn't going to give it), why was he wearing gloves (He always wears gloves), was that his car? I began to call the police. My dogs were barking like crazy. The guy nervously backed away to his car, motioned for the other houses and said that they all looked ok and drove off as fast as he could.

It is all so strange. My house has three cars in the driveway. I have two rocking chairs on the porch and a cat that sleeps contentedly on the porch as well, with all of her accessories. There is a weird fire/fountain thingie out front that I didn't purchase and that I plan to give away that came with the house when we bought it six months ago. This house looks lived in.

Secondly, if he were a burglar looking to hit my house, I don't understand that either. My house is one of about twenty little ranch homes that sits in the midst of a neighborhood full of million dollar homes. Why my little ranch house? Mine isn't even one of the nicest in the group! I have ADT signs all over the windows!

I used to handle solicitors very gently and a lot of times, if the product was decent, I would buy. I have family that are in sales. I know how hard it is to earn your living as a salesperson. I won't be answering the door anymore.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JoCoJenn|1455756512|3992332 said:

Hahaha this is excellent!! I need something like this as I have a 'NO JUNK MAIL' sign that gets ignored or the opposite, I get extra junk.

My best mate's father has the best solution to getting rid of solicitors without saying anything at all.
He answers the door completely stark naked with a smile on his face :-o

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
azstonie|1455751131|3992283 said:
The minute you ooen the door you've lost all control.

There is a scam in Phoenix where a frantic pregnant wonan knocks on the door, the guy is out of vision off to the side. He appears when the door is opened.

I don't open the door unless I know the knocker. I don't care if they have a uniform or a clipboard. When I'm home I go to tthe sidelight windows to my front door so that I'm seen---there was a robbery group in my neighborhood who would knock first and if no answered, went to break in around back. When a stranger at the door sees me I frown and shake my head negatively to indicate I'm not opening the door. If they persist, and sometimes they do, I hold up my cell phone and say 911? They leave then.

I just ordered a video doorbell, I can answer my door from another state using my cell phone, the knocker and I can speak and they are on video. $199. Saw it on This Old House.

Consider reading the Gavin de Becker book, The Gift of Fear. You are being assesed by predators when they ask you inappropriate questions (Are you the homeowner? Etc) and you answer; they knock on the door and you open it. See, tgey are in charge, you're giving control up of your safety.

This is all so scary! Thanks for the video doorbell idea. Brilliant!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
House Cat|1455756894|3992341 said:
This is very timely.

On Sunday night our doorbell rang. My husband answered, but didn't open the security screen. My security screen blocks a person's view so all that you can see is an outline. It was a strange young man (early 30's) who asked if there were squatters in our house. My husband told him no and asked why. The guy called himself a vigilante and said, "you never know." The guy was wearing mechanic's gloves. At that point my husband began asking the guy questions, what was his name (Mike), what was his last name (He wasn't going to give it), why was he wearing gloves (He always wears gloves), was that his car? I began to call the police. My dogs were barking like crazy. The guy nervously backed away to his car, motioned for the other houses and said that they all looked ok and drove off as fast as he could.

It is all so strange. My house has three cars in the driveway. I have two rocking chairs on the porch and a cat that sleeps contentedly on the porch as well, with all of her accessories. There is a weird fire/fountain thingie out front that I didn't purchase and that I plan to give away that came with the house when we bought it six months ago. This house looks lived in.

Secondly, if he were a burglar looking to hit my house, I don't understand that either. My house is one of about twenty little ranch homes that sits in the midst of a neighborhood full of million dollar homes. Why my little ranch house? Mine isn't even one of the nicest in the group! I have ADT signs all over the windows!

I used to handle solicitors very gently and a lot of times, if the product was decent, I would buy. I have family that are in sales. I know how hard it is to earn your living as a salesperson. I won't be answering the door anymore.

I agree that sounds very strange... It does sound like a potential burglar, maybe not expecting you both to be home? Scary, stay safe!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
blingbunny10|1455733462|3992152 said:
telephone89|1455732162|3992141 said:

I think the answer is I need a new peephole for secret peeping! Or a security camera, lol. I do know a few of our immediate neighbors, but not most. It's definitely a close knit community - another reason I don't want to accidentally be a weirdo/a-hole to a neighbor! :lol:

I just found some not-too-ugly "No Soliciting" signs on Amazon. Worth a try!

I think that the signs are a good idea - they may not always work, but it's worth it if it keeps even some of them away.
Also, I wouldn't worry about feeling obligated to open the door. I sometimes just completely ignore them or I go to the door and look out the side glass and say, "I'm not interested" and then walk away. We have a long driveway and sometimes, if I'm feeling kind ;-) , I'll stop them before they even get half way up the driveway, open the door, yell out "I'm not interested", and then close the door and walk away. If I'm home alone (or home alone with the kids), I don't answer the door for any strangers.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Gift of Fear is a wonderful book.

One glass outside door doesn't have a key, so we don't lock it. But the inside-inside door has a keypad lock that only the four of us and my parents know. I open the door-I can't see who it is otherwise. We're going to do our own version of a Charlie-bar on the patio doors rather than buy one, and when we redo the house we're getting new doors for the front, so then we'll be able to see what's going on hopefully.

We rarely get solicitors anymore. Usually like once during the summer. They have to have permits and things from the city to be able to go around, and it irritates the hell out of JD that they prey on people, selling magazines and books etc that invariably are never recieved, so when he gets a call about them, he's on 'em like a flash and running them out of town. A couple summers ago JD wasn't here and I was out in the shop w/my parents, working, and a couple guys stopped, selling magazines. Mom bought a ton of stuff and then I had gotten a couple subscriptions; after they left I just had a "weird" feeling, so I called JD. He came home and after deciding my description of them was :rolleyes: worthy, we left and found them. JD went up to them, said Hey, how ya doin, my name is blah blah and my wife and mother in law gave you a couple checks, I'm going to need them back please" They got all puffed up about it and refused, so JD says "I'm an officer w/the X Police Department. My wife and mother in law gave you checks, I'm going to need them back, or I'm going to call the duty officer to stop by". So we got our checks back-JD called the officer on duty to pick them up anyway and get the other money returned-the people had no permits and they had like an F- on BBB.

Now, if JD answers the door, he tells them he's an officer and wants to see their permits, and if I do, I tell them my husband is an officer, and he just happens to be on duty now, so hold on just a sec and I'll call him so he can make sure you're all legal-like before I order.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had DH install a peephole, because the window in the front door is too high for me.
If I don't know the person, I just don't answer. Couldn't be easier!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Queenie60|1455743820|3992217 said:
. As for the phone, when I pick up and there's a delay, that's when I know it is a solicitor. I hang up. ....

I don't hang up, I simply sset the phone down. the reason for that is sometimes those calls just loop over and over if you don't respond to a "Press 1 for yes", or similar. I had one tied up on my phone for over 3 hours a few months ago. It makes me smile to think that I took up their resources and cost them money. :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't get door to door solicitors. Thankfully. Never have.

If we did I would not open the door to a solicitor.

I also hate it when people drop by unexpectedly but if they do (and I know them) I answer the door. More than once it was our neighbor needing help and honestly while I don't care what others think of me I couldn't in good conscience not open the door. You never know when someone needs help and if I know them (and feel comfortable and safe) I am not going to ignore the visit. It doesn't happen often but when it does it is not a social call usually (and all my friends know not to just drop by because they know I don't like unexpected visits) but a good reason for the visit.

Unfortunately we do get telemarketing phone calls on our landlines and mobile phones. Not sure why because we did the do not call number a few years ago and that prevented those annoying phone calls but I guess that expired. I have to figure out if there is another Do Not Call number to call to prevent further soliciting phone calls. Not a huge deal. Just a minor annoyance. If it is a real person on the other end of the phone I tell them to please remove us from their calling list. If it is an automated phone call I just hang up. Sometimes when I am not in the mood (and I know it is a telemarketer by their phone #) I just pick it up and hang up without even putting the phone to my ear.

Interestingly enough when my dh and I were dating we had an issue with unexpected visits from his friends. He comes from a social circle where people just drop by whenever. And I do mean whenever. Everyone did it. And I hated it and told him so and we had ongoing disagreements over this because he really values his friends and values their company and enjoyed these visits and didn't want to make them feel unwelcome. Again we were just dating and trying to navigate the rocky waters of our differences which were more than just a few at that time. One day a close friend of his just dropped by at a very inopportune time and that ended the debates. :lol: From that time on everyone in his group of friends knew not to just drop by at our house. That is was no longer OK. Of course they all blame me but I was (and am still) good with that. I value my privacy above almost all else and if there is an emergency that is one thing but just to drop by at any time with no call or advance notice making sure it is a good time for us is NOT ok.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=0Swzvm-gXHg
A stand up bit about the doorbell ringing.

If you google "do not call list" you will find the website to enter your numbers. I just did this last week. It takes one minute. Actually, you can look to see if you have already registered and if you have you can file a complaint against companies that continue to call you if you are registered.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results