shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you cure the world''s worst sore throat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sick. I''ve been sick. I''m tired of being sick. My throat feels like it''s almost closed up and it hurts SO MUCH to swallow. At first I thought I had a sinus infection a couple of weeks ago but then I began to feel better. About a week ago, I got what I thought was a cold (and it still could be, who knows) and it''s worse now. I have a stuffy and runny nose, a very congested chest, a hacking cough, and I''m constantly clearing my throat.

I can deal with the rest of it but my throat feels like there are rocks in it. Boulders. Ouch! Does anyone have a remedy that I should try?

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
There are cough drops, I think called Halls Max, that actually have numbing medicine in them (I think you can only take one every 4 hours or so), and although they don''t hold out for 4 hours, they do give some immediate numbing.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
you sure it''s not strep? get to a doctor!!! aside from that, gargle with warm salt water often. hope you feel better soon!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Sabine and Summer! I''ll have to try the Halls Max. I had forgotten about using salt water. I''ll give it a shot; hopefully it will work. I keep tugging on my left ear -- that hurts too. Oh dear, I think I''m falling apart.

I''m going to call the doctor on Monday.

Thanks again ladies!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely get a strep test!! In the mean time Chloraseptic spray to numb your throat. I hate having a sore throat. Sucking on popsicles helps too. I hope you fel better soon.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kaleigh! We have popsicles and I think I''ll go grab one (or two or five) now.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest heat therapy. Hot liquids (lots!!!!), and ibuprofen for pain. Definitely get the strep test. Really, cram down as much liquid of any temp. as you can, and then cram even more, until you''re floating in the stuff. A good one is hot (or warm) chicken broth (or veggie broth). Water is great too. Tea with a bit of honey. Good luck!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
i agree to get to a doctor, but in the meantime, if you have a whole foods/wild oats type of place near by, Throat Coat herbal tea works wonders for my sore throats. If you can''t find it (it''s by Traditional Medicinals), any type of licorice root tea is really great. Doesn''t taste that great if you aren''t into licorice, but it sure does work. Feel better!!!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely do the warm salt water! Also, 2-3 iboprofen will work wonders, 4 for prescription strength. I actually dealt with this last week, it was awful! It took about 4 days before I could stop treating it, ugh.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Vitamin C or Airborne. When I had mono my throat was so sore it would wake me up at night. The ONLY thing that helped of the many things I tried was high doses of vitamin C. My FI says airborne helps him more but it is high in vitamin C so it serves the same purpose.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Grapefruit Seed Extract! It comes in a powder that you mix with water... it tastes terrible but it works wonders!

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re tugging on your ear are you sure you don''t have an ear infection?

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have much to add, but last time I had the worst sore throat ever I had strep throat and bronchitis. I was so miserable it hurt to breathe, never mind eat or drink! I remember it clearly. I remember the urgent care doctor telling me to drink cold liquids, like an icee, then I found out later that was much worse and I should have had warm liquids.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the recommendations. I will definitely look into all of them. I ended up taking an Aleve last night before going to bed. I felt better when I woke up but now that I''m fully awake, I''m coughing again. It doesn''t hurt to breathe but inhaling makes me cough and that hurts. My ear feels a little better too but I''m sure my doctor will check it out when I see her.

I''ve been drinking hot water so often, and even though it helps, it''s only temporary. Better than nothing though I suppose.

We''re going to see Avenue Q in Boston today, and I feel so badly for those who will sit next to me (I''ll make sure to have MANY cough drops on me). I wish I could just curl up in bed and watch movies all day instead. I had thought our tickets were for last weekend but I was wrong. Darn.

Thanks again everyone!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, as someone who had strep, staph, and a bacterial sinus infection this winter, I can only tell you that horribly painful sore throat sounds like strep and therefore won''t go away without antibiotics. Often a virus like a cold can weaken your defenses and turn into something bacterial.

Can you forgo Avenue Q and go to the doctor instead? I mean, that''s not so crazy, right? Things come up, and if you want to curl up and rest, trust your instincts!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I used to get strep every few weeks during the winter, until I finally had my tonsils out at the age of 23... which was like combining ALLLLL those previous sore throats, multiplying them by a zillion, and being bedridden with it for a month. Definitely the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. I no longer have any fear of childbirth, because all the people on my tonsillectomy forum made it clear that after surviving that surgery as an adult, birth is a breeze.
23.gif

I was taking codeine and oxycontin round the clock, but the only other things that helped were ice packs to my neck and face... and drinking room-temperature, fresh-brewed, unsweetened tea. When I mentioned that to my doctor afterwards, he said it might have something to do with the tannins in the iced tea coating my raw throat? Either way, it definitely helped! Might be worth a try if you're still feeling badly.... let us know how the doctor's appointment goes! (Oh, and ear pain is a common type of "referred pain" to have with a sore throat.)

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Zoe I have a history of horrible sore throats. Eventually I had my tonsils out (not a fun op when you're an adult!) and while it's not as bad as before it can still get pretty bad. At least my throat doesn't bleed any more eh?
40.gif

The very best thing you can do is the gargling. Fill a small glass with warm water (not cold or hot, just nicely warm) and add in some salt (don't be stingy with it) and gargle small mouthfuls until the whole glass is gone. It's not very pleasant at the time but the salt helps your body to kill off any nasties back there, and the warm water is soothing and eases the swelling.

Another thing some people swear by over here is gargling Disprin, which is a water-soluble paracetamol. I don't know if you have that over there or if that would help you but I thought I'd mention it. Personally the taste of Disprin makes me vomit so I can't attest to it's efficacy! I would imagine though that a product like that might also help with the swelling.

Definitely get the numbing spray if you can. I never find the numbing lozenges to be any good as they only numb your mouth. After all, you don't such with your throat now do you?
2.gif
Get a spray and aim that thing back there as far as you can. That'll keep the worst of the pain at bay for about an hour or so.

Last, try to sleep and rest propped up on lots of pillows. When you lie down flat you get post nasal drip and that irritates your throat, causing more swelling. If you feel at your worst in the morning and get gradually better through the day, this is why.

Enjoy the show and don't worry about annoying other people, sure who hasn't had a cough before? Maybe bring a thermos of soothing warm water with you and that might help if you can sip it. Maybe even a little lemon juice in the water might help it go down easier.

Take care and feel better soon
35.gif

ETA -

I'd also get to a doctor first thing tomorrow and see about an antibiotic as you've had this for a good while now. All my suggestions sadly will only help to ease the pain but won't get rid of the problem if it's an infection.

Ephemery - I hear you girl! Specially as (a) my surgeon sent me home on painkillers that turned out not to work on me at all; and (b) my hospital insisted on me eating harsh foods as soon as possible after surgery to 'toughen' up the wounds. Eh, what??? My first meal post surgery was salty streaky bacon, cornflakes, and Irish brown bread. They threatened to sedate me and put a tube down my throat if I didn't eat it. Ugh, I'm cringing just thinking about the pain...

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
All this bonding over tonsils... I had my tonsils out at 17 because my brother had it done when he was 21 and it almost killed him so they said "yeah, we should do her too before she gets too old". It was torture, but the worst part is that my mom was feeding me sugar free jello! It hadn''t occurred to her that as my only source of nourishment for 3 days, maybe I should have a few more calories? I was weak. Finally I got ice cream and soup. She also gave me a bell, and then shut my door so she couldn''t hear it. I had my own phone line, so I would call her and ring the bell into the phone! It was not a pleasant time.

But I still got strep a few times after the surgery. No fair. Get the test Zoe! If it''s bacterial, you need medicine!

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
Ah, I feel You! I've been sick for the past week, with fever and THE WORST sore throat I've ever experienced. I tried it all, tiger balm, ibuprofen. The sore throat was really the worst, at last i went to the doctor, he prescribed me antibiotics and some painkillers for my throat (cause seriously, nothing helped.
23.gif

Oh! Btw! You should really try gargling whiskey (or vodka, konyak etc.) mixed with hot water and lots of salt! I found it the only thing helping (atleast a little) before i got the painkillers.
7.gif

Get well soon!
2.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2008 10:41:01 AM
Author: phoenixgirl
Well, as someone who had strep, staph, and a bacterial sinus infection this winter, I can only tell you that horribly painful sore throat sounds like strep and therefore won''t go away without antibiotics. Often a virus like a cold can weaken your defenses and turn into something bacterial.

Can you forgo Avenue Q and go to the doctor instead? I mean, that''s not so crazy, right? Things come up, and if you want to curl up and rest, trust your instincts!
Oh no! It sounds like it''s been a rough winter for you.

Since it''s Sunday, the doctor''s office isn''t open and I didn''t want to make an emergency room visit. We just got back from Avenue Q and if you haven''t seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it. It''s hilarious!! It definitely made me feel better, if only temporarily. I forgot about how I feel and it was a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I do feel slightly better than I did yesterday, so that''s good. My throat''s still really scratchy and it still feels like there are rocks in there but hot water has helped somewhat.

I stopped at the drug store on the way to the show and I was told that taking cough drops usually aren''t worth taking but Halls Breezers contain pectin. Pectin is a good ingredient to look for.

Anyway, I''m going to call the doctor first thing in the morning. I was wondering if it''s strep but there aren''t any spots on my tonsils.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I feel you! I''ve been sick all week.
7.gif
Hot tea is helping my throat as much as it can. I''m trying to sleep whenever I can.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no! I hope you feel better soon LegacyGirl!

I''ve heard more people tell me about getting the flu, stomach bug, etc. for a while now. It seems like this winter''s been particularly harsh for some reason. My dad''s got the flu now. I spent the day with him yesterday and he was fine but last night he got really sick. My mom said it''s the worst she''s seen from him. Uh oh.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, Sum and Delster... I love all the tonsillectomy bonding!! I really did not believe it was going to be as horrible as they warned me. My doctor told me I should get it done 3-4 weeks before my internship started, to give myself time to recover... I thought he was crazy and started researching online. Came across all these stories of people who've had multiple back surgeries, knee surgeries, c-sections, natural childbirth, etc and still felt their adult tonsillectomies were the worst pain by far. [TMI warning:] After the surgery, the doctor came in and told me he had some tough O.R. nurses who've seen a lot, but they all had to take a step back when they saw my disease-ridden tonsils come out... apparently they were pretty vile after all those years of infections. They'd gotten so gargantuan they would sometimes swell my throat shut and make it almost impossible to breathe.
14.gif
Delster, I can't believe they made you EAT that soon!! I would have died, I think. I was just told to get as many fluids as possible... and I lived on cream of wheat, soft scrambled eggs and lukewarm soup for at least 2 weeks.

The good news is, I have had NO major sore throats since then (just the regular ones that come along with colds)... it has honestly changed my life. But any time anyone mentions a sore throat or tonsillectomy, I still feel instant sympathy! I'm glad Avenue Q was a good distraction for you, Zoe...
1.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went to the doctor today and I''m now on Amoxicillan and heavy-duty Robitussin.
14.gif
Darn sinus infection.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol ephem your tonsils sound nasty!!! and i agree re; food after a few weeks, when i had my tonsils out it took 2-3 weeks for me to even eat any solid food. cream of wheat and ice cream were my main staples!

zoe i was also going to say get to the DR, glad you did. chloraseptic numbing works great for me or has in the past, and also as others said, warm salt water as well, helps kill the bacteria in the throat.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
you absolutely have to try stuff called Alcolol. it is an antiseptic liquid that you gargle with.

it tastes gross but we gargle every couple of hours with it when we have sore throats and it kills the bacteria and we Always wake up the next day with no sore throat.

you have to ask your pharmacist to get it from behind the counter. (we do at ours)

a holistic dr. gave it to my husband 20 years ago and we have been using it since.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I can join the tonsillectomy as an adult club. I won''t go into the gory details of how miserable I was before I had it and the recovery period.

Sounds like you have an infection. Get some antibiotics. I have some leftover vicodin from my c-section. I take that when I get a really bad sore throat. If you are at the doctor getting an antibiotic, ask him for some.

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to share a remedy I found recently.

Gargle with apple cider vinegar or sip it if you can stand it. Mix about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with a cup of warm water about a tablespoon of honey and few drops of lemon juice. I know it sounds odd but I was actually able to sip this mixture when I wasn''t able to swallow anything else. I did this about 3 times in one day and felt much better. I did it once the next day when I woke up and after that the sore throat was history.

I also read that you can gargle with cayenne pepper and watter mixture but I''m not that brave.

Glad to see you''re feeling better!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Another adult tonsillectomy survivor here. It was HORRIBLE! If your children have bad tonsils ... get them out when they are young!

I hope that you are feeling better, Zoe. Any improvement?
I just wanted to stop in and send you some encouragement ... I don''t know what it is but last night I read this thread right before heading to bed and I woke up with a sore throat.
23.gif
Sympathy pain?
33.gif
I know how horrible and exhausting it can be to be in pain especially for such an extended period of time. I hope the doctor has something to help you out or that some of these home remedies kick in and ease the pain. I got some Cepacol for myself so hopefully that will help ease my pain until this sore throat goes away.

Take care!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results