shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you convey the importance of prong uniformity?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We are having my e-ring made by Brian Gavin soon. I am extremely picky about prongs being totally uniform and having the correct shape. I see rings on PS often that don't have prongs I could live with, but then others that look perfect to me. How do I explain how important it is? Would offering to pay extra for extra TLC get me anywhere?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1313764201|2994231 said:
We are having my e-ring made by Brian Gavin soon. I am extremely picky about prongs being totally uniform and having the correct shape. I see rings on PS often that don't have prongs I could live with, but then others that look perfect to me. How do I explain how important it is? Would offering to pay extra for extra TLC get me anywhere?

I would just tell them exactly this-that you're extremely picky about prongs and want them to all be totally uniform. I don't think paying extra will matter because prong quality seems to be based on the talent of the bench and not necessarily $.

That said, if prongs are one of the more important elements, you might want to consider going with a jeweler like Leon Mege who is know for their perfect, delicate prongs. I'm not knocking BGD's work at all, as I have a bezel necklace from them that is absolutely perfect. They're just not specifically known for their prongs like LM is.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thing2, that certainly did occur to me, but honestly I don't like The Leon Prong. I want Gypsy's!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am beyond anal-retentive, so I show photos, and reiterate like 100 times, what I want them to be like. I won't just "accept" less than perfect. Probably to my detriment.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I would provide one or two pictures of the prongs you do want and specify exactly what it is about the prongs you want. I'd also provide some pictures of what you don't want and point out why.
You shouldn't have to bribe them ;))

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I'd show photos of what you want, as well as what you do not want. That should make it clear.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you MissStepcut... Brian is really good about details. Get him on the phone personally and send him pics of do's and don't. Also, check on the prongs on Ellen's newest set and see what you think-- it was done bt BGD and she was very particular about her prongs as well. If BGD wants to send me a label I can send my ring into them as well... if it means that much to you.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I met with Brian yesterday, and he spent two hours talking to me about diamonds and what makes them sparkle, even though I am not even purchasing a huge diamond. He seems very detailed oriented (which of course is a good thing in a jeweler), but is also very personable and humorous, which makes him easy to talk to. I think he'd be willing to talk to you for as long as it took to make sure you and he are on the same page with what you want and what he will create.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1313800589|2994661 said:
Thank you MissStepcut... Brian is really good about details. Get him on the phone personally and send him pics of do's and don't. Also, check on the prongs on Ellen's newest set and see what you think-- it was done bt BGD and she was very particular about her prongs as well. If BGD wants to send me a label I can send my ring into them as well... if it means that much to you.
Wow Gypsy, that's quite an offer! I am hoping it can be done with photographs, and I have some of yours saved already! With incredibly symmetrical and angular cut diamonds like emerald and asscher, it seems extra important to me. To be clear, her Vatche x-prong was set by BGD?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1313804598|2994719 said:
Gypsy|1313800589|2994661 said:
Wow Gypsy, that's quite an offer! I am hoping it can be done with photographs, and I have some of yours saved already! With incredibly symmetrical and angular cut diamonds like emerald and asscher, it seems extra important to me. To be clear, her Vatche x-prong was set by BGD?

No, I'm sorry. I meant Lynn and her Grace set. My bad!

You want the new prongs from Steven or the Ocean prongs, btw? Cause BGD's seen my Ocean prongs (they were the ones who did all the pave repairs for me on that halo), but they haven't seen the Steven ones on the new halo (as it hasn't had any issues-- YAY!).

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah, I see. Okay, THOSE are prongs I could live with! Thanks, Gypsy. His own bench's work is probably the best jumping-off point. I was referring to your Steven prongs, which are TDF! Graceful, feminine claws.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1313807033|2994758 said:
Ah, I see. Okay, THOSE are prongs I could live with! Thanks, Gypsy. His own bench's work is probably the best jumping-off point. I was referring to your Steven prongs, which are TDF! Graceful, feminine claws.

I'm glad you like Lynn's prongs. And yes, his own bench's work is the best starting off point. You'll be happy, just make sure you let them know the prongs are an issue for you.

I was hoping you were talking about my Steven prongs. My Ocean prongs were a big point of dissatisfaction for me, but I am very happy with my Steven ones. Thank you again.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am very picky about my prongs and am very happy with the ones I got from BGD. I would personally find a photo of a ring that *BGD* did that you love the prong work for, and send THAT as your example saying "Do this!!". That is the safest move, better than giving a photo of someone else's prongs. Giving a sample of BGD's own work means you know they can do it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results