shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I strip?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
How do I strip....a door? I just bought an old door from Salvage One in Chicago. It''s an exterior door with 12 windows (3 across, 4 down) covered in layers of old white paint. The door is heavy as all can be so we know it''s solid. My husband is pretty sure it is walnut based on the unpainted bottome of the door. Any advice on which strippers work best?

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
First get some get music going...candle lights...and then apply a thick gel based....

paint remover. Let it sit for the allotted time, it will begin to bubble and get groovy...then you get you groove on and gloves and gently remove with a spatula type paint scraper. It will lift off with ease. Slop the goo into a bucket. Wipe down with a cloth. Re access and see if another coat of goo is warrentied. If you have lots of nooks and crannies you may find using a toothbrush to get the goo into the corners work best. The best techinique is to remove one glove at a time...slowly to the beat of the music.

Oh, The hardware stores rent strippers....that is paint stripping heat guns. You can also employ a sander once you have removed the paint.

Va va va voom...get stirpping!

Oh my...that was fun.
emwink.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
OH you will want to lay the door over two saw horses..and do one side at a time. The wood that surround the glass may be weak and damaged. If so you should remove it along with the panes of glass knowing you will have to use the old molding for a pattern for the new molding...carefully remove it and mark it. Pane one, side a.... a, b, c, d...or pane one 1, 2,3, 4 pane two...etc.

I would remove it as soon as you have access through the seal of the paint. Scoring it with a blade to release the paint may be necessary.

If you have a spot in the garage lay lots of newspapers or drop cloth down...then saw horses, then door. Remove all hardware and hinges. Get pleanty of cross venitilation. The paint stipper is sold in all different sizes...i would get at least a gallon. Apply liberally.

Your glass probably has paint on it and needs cleaning. I like a razor blade...sharp...to scrape.

Gloves, eye ware, and NO KIDS OR PETS.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
door knob, your first set of instructions were certainly more, well, fun!!!!!

i would add ''you can keep your hat on'' while doing your ''routine''.

peace, movie zombie

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
MZ,

That was SOOO out of character for me! I am shocked I even attempted it. Oh my.
emwink.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leave it to DKS to make stripping a door sexy
31.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Door-knob that was just great. I shared it with my husband he requested Daisy Dukes & a triangle bikini top to wear while "stripping." He said he was going to help, but now he might just sit and watch!

Anyway, thanks for the fun and I will be hunting down some gel stripper as soon as the weather is warm again...since I can''t do it in my house.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
IslandDreams, i had to read your post a 2nd time as i thought you were saying your husband was going to wear a bikini!!!!

peace, movie zombie

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
oh my.. i dont even know how i can add to this...

well, some things to keep in mind. its probably lead paint if its that old of a door in chicago area. so dont scrape dry! you dont want to get that in the air!

you might also want to be careful where you store it before, after, and prior to install. a little moisture could cause a lot of warping / swelling.

how do you plan on refinishing? is it going to be used indoors?

good luck
35.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Daisy Dukes are great...but not when you have this caustic goo sloping about. It will remove all sorts of things...even those dukes. Too funny about your husbands new found interest in paint removal. Had no idea I had the power of marriage counseling! Ha Ha. ( My invoice will be arriving in the mail anyday now..)

Don''t be intimidated the goo will do most of the work. I agree however...you will have layers of lead in there. So be serious and pay attention...leave the music off...I want you in goggles...maybe enough a breathing mask...and long rubber yellow goofy looking dishwashing gloves...old long sleeve shirt...and well...keep it all on.

DKS
emsmiled.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, my husband in a bikini...now that would be a hoot!

Right now the door is in my very cold garage on bricks to keep it off the floor. It will be the new front door for my house--but I have a full glass storm door to protect it from the elements. I am hoping it will be in good enough shape to just stain. I don''t mind a few "worn" dings/scrapes etc. to it. I actually would prefer it look old--that''s why I bought an old one rather than having a new one made. (Also a lot cheaper to buy old!) I want it to me a darker medium brown...I think walnut is the right stain color. I''m going to try to match my hardwood floors because I like that color. I currently have a painted door with no windows. I have painted it dozens of colors and none of them have looked right (My house is different--cream with lavendar shutters--my whole front yard is cottage garden style). I really wanted windows...and stain instead of paint. See picture. This is from a couple of years ago. The door surround is now the same lavender as the shutters and there are a lot more flowers.

My husband will be so disappointed to know that I shouldn''t wear Daisy Dukes. It''s going to be hard to act sexy in a breathing mask...but lead paint is dangerous! I guess I''ll have to promise him some "celebrating" after the door is stripped!

PurpleHouseinProgress2.jpg

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock

very pretty house...

21.gif
i think the wood door can work with the front of it. you have enough lanscaping and the warm color of the window boxes will help tie it in more.. on the inside you will be ok with the wood floor. just wondering... what is the front porch? if its a warm brick or stone i think the transition will be ok.. just something to think about...

forgive the hand drawn door... but i couldnt find any other images to drop in. (if you want to post a picture of the door i can show you the real thing

41.gif

are you thinking something like this???

PurpleHouseinProgress2_a.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Lost on 5th YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!
emotion-19.gif

You hand drew that? Too cool. I am sure when ID sees that she will hoot with delight.

ID...I love your home! It is quaint and cottage like and homey. I am sure your flowers are magnificant. Can''t wait to see the update picture. And please, please keep the music down..you live in a very respectable neighborhood. Your traditional neighbors are not going to be too keen on any stripping...

Hey lost on 5th are you available to stucco my house? I have wood shake shingled contemporary sharp angular roof house and would like to turn it into a modern white stucco flat roof with stainless sophisticated accents. What program are you using to do your wonders? I am sure it is 10 program and 90 percent skill. I have tried to use paint and it looks like a gradeschool project. Throw me some tips on your magic. I am truly amazed!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Lost of 5th...wow...love the hand drawing. Thank you!!!! I don''t love the white color of the storm door & frame (white in picture). I think it needs to be a darker color...I''ve been debating between spray painting it black (it is metal with glass window), or purple like the surround. My DH has suggested getting a wood storm door made to match the new windowed door. What do you think?

The actual porch of my house is concrete, but the walkway & step up to it are dark reddish/purple brick. Our plan has been to cover the actual top of the porch in a thin brick if possible. I would actually really love to build a small roof type structure over the front door, but not sure if it would work.

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
ID: something like this maybe??

DKS: everything is photoshop. it is my paintbrush, markers, color pencil, and eraser all in one! i guess its bad that i refer to photoshop work as "by hand" but anymore that is what i find myself grabbing! hmm.. stucco would be fun
41.gif
keep in mind that this is what i do for a living, so it makes a difference when someone pays you to learn programs and design things..

35.gif

PurpleHouseinProgress2_b.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Thanks 5th,

I will reopen my photoshop and get busy. There are sooo many features a laymen has no clue about. I was thinking about taking a course, I think I will now. Seeing your before and after is encouraging.

ID,

On your porch overhang idea...You may consider a portico awning over your door. If you did that you may need to balance that with moulding over your windows. The moulding would be just like what is over your front door. Also consider using the concrete brick forms and repour your porch and sidewalk in the faux brick pattern. You and your husband can do this. You add brick color dye to the wet concrete and it would match the brick in your fireplace. This is something you can wear those dukes with....ah ha...I just got an eureka moment. When ever we want a Honey Do project...started...we get the dukes out to get the project completed. Ah ha.

I do love you house. It is serene and peaceful colors and delightful. The update ID did is going to look fabulous!!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
lost on 5th. Thank you so much for doing the white area darker. Did you use black or brown? I think the darker storm door is the way to go--now I won't be afraid to spray paint the storm door. Your photoshop skills are terrific!

I need to paint the outside of my window frames next year..they are peeling. Right now they are white. Do you think they should be purple like the shutters?

Doorknob---yes the honeydo list can be sweetened with the use of daisy dukes & bikini tops ;-) I already have the brick sidewalk, but the forms might be a good option for the concrete porch. I had thought of a portico type option for the front door too but not sure what it should look like. Ideas? I like the idea of something over the windows to balance it out...but I don't want to make my house more formal. I'm really trying for the casual more cottagey look.

Thanks for the nice compliments on my house. It's not big or fancy, but the neighborhood is great. It's right downtown--5 minutes from my job. The house behind me was designed by Frank Loyd Wright so I have a very nice house to look at behind me. Across the street is a city park...just trees & grass & picnic tables. There are lots of kids & the neighborhood actually has block parties so everyone knows each other. I actually used to live in a much bigger house that I built but I couldn't warm up to it. I like the older house much better...even if I do feel like we live at Lowes & Home Depot on the weekends. I think I may need to make several pairs of Daisy Dukes for next summer!!!!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow...FLW is my hearts desire. I so adore all of his work. So creative way before it was time to be. I am in Tulsa we have a magnificant FLW here. I weep everytime I drive by it. Truly. I am not into any idol follower in music or fashion or hollywood stars per say, but for some reason I get goofy-giddy when I get close to a FLW. I have a huge library of books on his work. I am going to try to find the house...in my books.

Can you tell me if the house behind yours is the FLW you mentioned? I can see a tidbit of mahogany redish brick? If it is, just confirm, Please tell me no more. See if I can find it. I will PM you when I think I have your city down.

DKS

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
Hi;
I hope this isnt too late. But I do wood refinishing for a living, so I hope I can give you some advice.
There is a brand called Zip strip, it is strong but very good. You def will need gloves and make sure to use it in a place that is venilated well so you dont have to breath in the fumes too much. Like someone mentioned, let it set and then scrape it off. At home depot and places like that they sell brushs that you can use if there is intricate designs in the woodwork.
After it is stripped, if you can wipe it down with a damp cloth that would be best, it will get rid of any residue on the wood, then you can sand and finish the piece.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.
Good luck

Phil

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh poo, I can''t find anything close in any of my books. Maybe Illinois...but anybody could ration that state. Well, take an extra peek at your FLW for me.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Pad306--thanks for the advice. Is ZIP STRIP a Lowes type of item? How warm does the temperature need to be for it to work best?

Door Knob--the house behind me with the brick chimeny is the FLW house. From what I understand it is a house he worked on with one of his protegees so it might be listed under the protegee''s name. To me, it doesn''t look like a typical prairie style FLW. It is more vertical--it is all brick with a slate roof. My friend has the PLAT book for my neighborhood (very cool book--describes the each house in the neighborhood--who bought the land, who built it etc. --and it is listed in there with both FLW & the protegees name. I''ll see if I can get her to look it up for me. Also, if I can get out this weekend I''ll snap a digi pic of it and post it. I live in South Bend Indiana--we do have 1 true prairie style FLW house on Chapin Street. The house behind me would be on Northshore Blvd.

In looking at my house, I think I need bigger lanterns next to my door. I liked these because they were very curvy and not real colonial looking...but they need to be twice the size. If anyone knows a good source for lanterns or has suggestions--let me know.

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
Hi Island;
I would think that Lowes would have the zip strip. I have seen it in a lot of hardware stores.
The temperature doesnt matter too much, unless its very cold in the room and the stripper is cold (below freezing) then it takes longer to work. It still will work, but will take longer to do the job.
Good luck, I hope it turns out well.

Phil

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Phil--thanks for the information. I think I''d better wait a couple of months until spring starts...it has been around 10 degrees F this week. I''m glad to know it doesn''t need to be 75 or something...that could take until June!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
lost on 5th...nope neither of these, but I know where both of them are...I forgot about one of them...

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Island Dreams,

How sweet of you to post more about the FLW. Please son''t go to anymore effort. I thought it would be cool if all along I have a book with the house that is right behind you! I thought that would be really something. The two homes 5th posted I have interior shots of. I am familiar with both of them. Thanks again...

On those curb appeal makeovers...they usually change out the light fixtures for larger or brassy or wrought iron where there wasn''t and just the light alone has quite an impact. I would try Lowes first. My builder told me unless I had connection with the "Market" Lowes is always the best price on lighting...and a ton more things.

5th-Thanks for posting the FLW''s. They are really something. In Bartlesville OK there is one just like the red brick one...it is completely furnished in FLW designed furniture...many are...but any way it is avocado greens and golds and lots and lots of woods. Thinkit is ahout 5k square foot...for sale for $1.8 (NOT) Bartllesville OK is not the place for a FLW. I jsut know whom ever buys it will have a tag sale and all his furnishings will be on the curb! Ekkk. Thanks again for trying!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
CIMG02101.jpg

Welcome to Westhope in Tulsa....Our FLW...circa 1929...it may not be bling...but it is yumminess! Giddy I am!

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
ID- sorry... been a bit crazy here.

anyhow, your window frames. i actually like the white for the frame. i think that if you went purple to match shutters it would make the front of the house read too flat. the white frames helps call out the windows and give a little dimension. also, from the inside you will be surprised how much the window frame impacts interior light and your view. darker colors will make your windows feel smaller and less bright.

a thought if you want to add more dimension to the front of your house is to do a dark accent trim. (this is jumping a bit more into the cottage style...) here is a picture below of a cottage window.
35.gif

window_01.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Lost on 5th...My husband agrees with you. Although I think we will do very light cream instead of white. The darker accent detail--we''re thinking black on the storm window frame. It would only be about 1/2" outline. The actual wood part of the window & the mullions would remain the light cream. I love the detail on the cottage window. I don''t think my house could handle the little peaks above each window though....do you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results