shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I go about a custom made ring set?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
After looking at thousands (literally) of settings and sets, I have found 4 that I L-O-V-E
love.gif
love.gif

I also went to jewelers and they do not have anything close to what i am looking for....

How does getting custom setting work? What is the process?
Do you get a drawing of it? Can they take the 4 rings I love and create one new ring ??

This is what i want:
1. Antique style wedding set in white gold
2. A combination of the following:
* center stone at least 1/4" off finger (high)
* 1/2" width of set together on finger
* a combination of: bead set rounds, baguettes, to create "texture"
along w/ a touch of filagree, engraving
* diamonds on the sides (tiny for sparkle)
* chunky look / wide look overall that looks bright and white
* details (fillagree, etc)

If you have any suggestions of a brand name set i can look at , I would love to see it.

The rings i Love are & want combo of:
1. foreverjewelers.com = #FJR9544S11
2. faycullen.com = 105M3D
3 & 4 - don''t have photo to refer you to, they are like 1 & 2!

All help, any help is appreciated!
wavey.gif
appl.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
FOund a way to post. finally.

I think you should show your photos to one of the vendors on here. I think you probably live fairly close to at least one of them. Within a fairly reasonable drive anyway. Id get a few ideas from them and go from there. Its probably something they could easily create to your liking.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Excellent advice has been posted above. I thought I'd tell you about what is in the works for me at the moment.
Currently, I am having one custom ring made, and the design for another is in the works. I LOVE my local B&M jeweler (not a chain-store or mall store) - he has made some delightful things for me in the past. One ring is of simple manufacture - a curvy band of varying thickness, with a .58 ct RB (internet purchase, with which I am delighted) channel set into one of the curves. We met, made a sketch, and he carved a wax. We reviewed the wax together, made some small changes and another wax, and now it is off to be cast. Three more weeks and it will be in my posession, and I look forward to it very much. This job is much less complicated than yours in that no engraving is involved. Hopefully my jeweller will take some digital pix for me to post here, as I own no camera.
The other ring is a more complicate project - the sun/moon/stars/other astonomical features using various coloured stones and some small, well cut diamonds and engraving. This one warrants CAD drawings, a 3-D (electronic) model and some engraving drawings as well. From all of this, a wax will be carved as well. You have to be willing to pay the price for these services though (oh so worth it to make sure your vision matches the jewellery designer's). This particular ring will be completed in February - I am just getting the design work out of the way first and searching for various small sapphires, garnets and so on.
Good luck with your project.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
wax carvings...?? sounds awesome!! what a perfect way to get the design just perfect!

that might cost a small fortune though,

i found some rings on a site by larouche in nyc, so i am thinking of going thru them...
wavey.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
just found their actual website: www.plarouche.com if you hadnt seen it

reena

Ideal_Rock
also, check out these links.

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45755&highlight=LaRouche
http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45975&highlight=LaRouche

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
thanks reena ! i just checked out those links - one lady LOVED her ring from larouche and said he was legit and ring was gawjus.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Neither the wax or the CAD/3-D drawings cost very much at my jeweller. Considering the cost of the diamonds and other stones, and the platinum, this is practically free. He charges $30 CAD/hour, and expects the total time involved to develop and edit the drawings (with my input) to be anywhere from 4 to 6 hours. The 6 hour time estimate applies to how many times we go back to edit the work. My jeweller says it takes him about an hour to do the wax, and a flat $30 fee applies to that. I had two waxes made for the simple project,no CAD drawings were necessary, and the $30 flat fee applied to both of these waxes. He charges a small fee for carving a wax because he was doing a large number of waxes where the people who came into the shop were not serious about following through with their projects. I also cannot believe how reasonable his fee is for making the ring. I initially looked for mounting on-line, and everything I saw along the lines of what I was looking for was $$$$. While buying a diamond from my jeweller is not a practicality, having him make something special for me really is. I love the service there, and the fact that it is in my community. I love supporting a local and talented artist.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results