shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you tell friends/work colleagues you were engaged?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve just gotten engaged and we''ve told our parents/brothers/sisters, who are all thrilled. We''ve also told our very best friends. But now I''m wondering - what about everyone else? I''m bursting to tell people because I''m so happy, but am worried it might come across as bragging, especially to single friends.

How did you tell your friends, work colleagues and so on? Did you actually bring up the subject, or just wait until they noticed the ring and asked you about it? (My ring is on order and I won''t be getting it for another two weeks). I know people are going to be asking how my holidays were when I go back to work on Tuesday, so I could mention it then... but then it occurred to me that this might be taken the wrong way. Help!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
We phoned our closest family and friends, texted a few and then changed our status on facebook... That did the rest for us!
1.gif

I am facebook friends with a few people at work so word got around pretty quickly. I didn''t really Have to tell anyone face to face that I was engaged.

pinki

Shiny_Rock
I told my closer friends at work and then let the rumor mill do the rest. I also did the FB thing and that pretty much covered everyone else!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I told two friends at work and then just told people if they noticed the ring
9.gif

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
My story was a bit unique since FI actually started the "scavenger hunt" by leaving clue #1 at my work. So all my co-workers had the opportunity to see me totally flustered, unable to finish a report, blushing like crazy, shaking like crazy....so on Monday morning they all flocked to my desk to ask if he proposed!!! I even met some new coworkers that way, haha, since most women seem to love proposal stories even if they don't know the couple.

For the coworkers who weren't around...I told some when talking about our weekends, and others I just didn't tell, and they found out through the grapevine or by looking at my hand. But with many, we talk about our weekends and of course that was a perfect chance for me to say, "well, I got engaged on Friday night!" And with all the females at my job, you tell one, and news spreads like crazy.

ETA - facebook also does a good job of announcing the news...I changed my status to "I am engaged!" or something like that (ONLY after telling everyone important, that is, or they could be majorly ticked that they found out through FB!)

I think with some people, esp. if they are single and maybe you get the sense they wish they weren't single, you may not mention it. Its ok to let it take a couple months for people around you to find out. If you are having a convo with coworkers or acquaintances and it comes up, great. But certainly don't feel the need to let every single person know. They will find out eventually. Even 6-8 months after getting engaged, I still have people say "ohmigosh! Your ring! When did you get engaged?" Or "I heard the news, congrats!"

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 9:01:22 AM
Author: hawaiianorangetree
We phoned our closest family and friends, texted a few and then changed our status on facebook... That did the rest for us!
1.gif

I am facebook friends with a few people at work so word got around pretty quickly. I didn''t really Have to tell anyone face to face that I was engaged.

+1... it was easier to let everyone (after close friends and family phone calls) find out through fb.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Hehe, I just sort of let people notice, but two people knew :)

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I told a few co-workers right away Monday morning and let the rumor mill take over. I''m not really fb friends with any of my colleagues.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I phoned my closest family members and friends the day we got engaged.

I sent an email or text message to all of my other family members and friends the day after we got engaged.

I told my work colleagues by bringing in an 8 X 10 of a picture that we took right after he proposed, along with lots of sweets and a sign saying "He finally popped the question!" or something like that. I put it all on a big table that sits in the middle of our department office, which is what everyone does when they have something to celebrate. We also had a monthly newsletter that our PR person put out, so I emailed him a little blurb for that, as well.

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
right after M proposed we called parents and my brother and then texted everyone else who we were close with then posted it on facebook... it was super easy that way :)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just told them the next day by showing them my left hand! But I was in a pretty casual work environment at the time. At my current job I would probably just tell the people in my own office and let everyone else find out through the grapevine.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
I told my close friends, and they helped spread the word (as did changing my status on facebook).

I didn''t tell anyone I work with (I got a new job very shortly after I got engaged). They just noticed themselves.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
facebook got the word out to the "fringe friends," but sent text messages or called people who i would want to tell me personally if they were engaged.

at work, we have a daily meeting each morning going through each department. when they got to my department (i''m the 2nd person up), my boss said, "charbie, what''s going on in admissions?" and i said, "well, on saturday i got engaged!" it was quite fun to announce it that way, since i could get it over and done with in front of all of the department managers and not have to tell the story 20 times over. everyone pretty much started congratulating, wanting to see the ring, etc.

if i hadn''t said anything, i probably would have told my boss ASAP, who then would have said, "and is there anything ELSE you want to tell us???" she almost always asks permission to announce things of personal matter in morning meeting anyway, as it is our way to get all the news out of the way. its where pregnancies, promotions, and voluntary resignations usually are annouced- its the one time of day we are all in one location and makes it easier and quicker!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't need to... DH proposed with a huge pic on the front page of our city's newspaper, most of the town knew he'd asked me to marry him before I did, because I slept in that morning!
9.gif

Having said that there were a few that didn't hear the hubbub or read the paper, I just talked to them with my hands alot that day
41.gif
News like that spreads fast though! It's so much fun telling people!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I was a very vocal LIW. I called friends and family. Went out with my friends for drinks... and at work, everyone saw my new finger decor and word spread like wildfire. Anyone who was interested came over... even people I didn''t know. It is a fun and exciting time! Don''t worry about bragging, most people don''t see it that way unless you clearly ARE bragging. Trust me, if you are just excited about being engaged, and your new FI status - it shows, and most people just want to be apart of that spark.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I only told two people--my mom and my BF. I didn''t even change my fb status until another of my friends wrote on my wall that it I should, about a month after the fact. I guess I just depended on others to do it for me. DH and I had been together so long, though, we had several family friends and more removed relatives write that they thought we had been married for years already on our wedding RSVPs.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Word spread like wildfire around my work. I told my best friend at work, and then she just told everyone else, lol!

As far as family goes, I took a picture of my ring on my camera phone and sent it to them.

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2010 9:44:17 AM
Author: tlh
I was a very vocal LIW. I called friends and family. Went out with my friends for drinks... and at work, everyone saw my new finger decor and word spread like wildfire. Anyone who was interested came over... even people I didn''t know. It is a fun and exciting time! Don''t worry about bragging, most people don''t see it that way unless you clearly ARE bragging. Trust me, if you are just excited about being engaged, and your new FI status - it shows, and most people just want to be apart of that spark.
That''s EXACTLY how it went for me too at work! It was SOOOO much fun that day, and everyone loves to see the BLING! I got in the office, took my coat off and said to my co-worker GUESS WHAT??? And she spun around in her chair and siad "You''re engaged!!!" Yeah it was 9 years in the making so people were waiting....Honestly I never felt like I was bragging - eveyone was happy for me and it was a blast! Then everyone heard about and stopped by to congratulate me.

For our clsoe friends, we all got togehter for drinks first day back at work - FI sent them an email saying MANDATORY MEETING AT THE XXX BAR TONIGHT...We have some news!!!

We had been on vacation so they thought 1.) we already got married in St Maarten, or 2.) I was pregnant... too funny....ahh no.

That first Monday back to work was one of the best days ever!

The only thing that made me feel bad (and still does) are the comments from some other married women who have smaller diamonds and were like OMG yours is huge - look at mine Horrifying and embarrassing....I just keep saying the longer I had to wait the bigger my stone had to be, like I have to make a joke out of it. Soemone else actually asked me how much it was (???)

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 8:19:38 AM
Author:LilyKat
I''ve just gotten engaged and we''ve told our parents/brothers/sisters, who are all thrilled. We''ve also told our very best friends. But now I''m wondering - what about everyone else? I''m bursting to tell people because I''m so happy, but am worried it might come across as bragging, especially to single friends.

How did you tell your friends, work colleagues and so on? Did you actually bring up the subject, or just wait until they noticed the ring and asked you about it? (My ring is on order and I won''t be getting it for another two weeks). I know people are going to be asking how my holidays were when I go back to work on Tuesday, so I could mention it then... but then it occurred to me that this might be taken the wrong way. Help!
Oh - so I wanted to mention......ENJOY this time and revel in it! You only get to do this once!

And congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
I told a couple friends at work and word spread that way. Also fb helped.

If you don''t want people asking about the ring that you are waiting to get, then I''d wait to tell people other than those closest to you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results