shape
carat
color
clarity

How did “PriceScope” get its name?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With that title this forum could be just about anything! Couponing. Wealth management. A stockbroker haunt.

Someone tell us the story of “PriceScope” ::)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's related to the Idealscope and the original founders of the site? I can't remember exactly.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always wondered this, @yssie... I mean, why not JewelryScope or something that indicates it's a site for jewelry enthusiasts?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Confession here - when I first looked for an upgrade stone, I came across pricescope and didn't even click on it. The name seemed so pedestrian, strange, and just blah, no glamour at all. Lol, sure wish I had checked it out BEFORE I purchased the first upgrade stone. I would have saved a lot of money!!

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe something to do with it being a consumer forum and prices being under a (micro) scope?? That’s what it always suggests to me but I have often thought they could have come up with something catchier!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Confession here - when I first looked for an upgrade stone, I came across pricescope and didn't even click on it. The name seemed so pedestrian, strange, and just blah, no glamour at all. Lol, sure wish I had checked it out BEFORE I purchased the first stone. I would have saved a lot of money!!

:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always wondered this! I actually get a smidge embarrassed when I am telling someone about the site and say the name. They almost always get this odd look on their face and I realize I have to explain it. Even then, I can tell they don't think it's legit. Or serious about jewelry.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
From my recollection, it was not something Leonid who founded Pricescope thought a lot about.
He primarily chose a product category with a high price arbitrage that was vulnerable (trade closed biz) or opportunistic (consumer POV). Maybe if diamonds didn't work - he would have a crack at travel???

Nothing to do with Ideal-scope - a name I had begun using sometime late 1980's after making a hand held Firescope - a decade before I met Leonid.
But please remember the fashion back then: Amazon, BlueNile etc - no relevance to the business at hand.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Time to rename to iDiamond or BlockChainScope? :mrgreen2:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I always thought it was because of the diamond search engine, You scoped out the prices hence PriceScope.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah memories...remember the diamond in the web?

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I think so too! The name always threw me off and sounded sort of like "PriceSmart" or "Bargain Shop" or something totally unrelated to diamonds and more like a bargain basement site. Sorry to the guy who thought it up! I wish they'd change it to something cooler. Even "Diamond Scope" would be better. Oh wait...maybe not...that sounds like a clinic that's looking for diamonds in all the wrong places. Never mind...:loopy:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With that title this forum could be just about anything! Couponing. Wealth management. A stockbroker haunt.

Someone tell us the story of “PriceScope” ::)

I went to the FAQs and here is some reasoning behind the name.

PriceScope is a tool you can use to find the best diamond prices before you go out shopping. Our database consists of publicly available diamond pricing information as well as advertised specials. We then present this information to you in a searchable form.

PriceScope is a privately held consumer advocate corporation.

So I think the name has to do with scoping out the best price before purchasing diamonds.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah memories...remember the diamond in the web?

wait, is that not there anymore?

(scrolls up)

damn, when did it go?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I actually like the name Pricescope. I prefer it to an obvious name like diamondforum or iGem. People who need answers stumble their way in here just like a rookie detective discovering the speakeasy where the informants hang out.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL. I can't remember exactly but I think it's been a decade at least.

I don't think it was quite 10 years ago, as I recall the web, and found you all just about 10 years ago, looking for ideas for a reset for my 20th anniversary. Not long after that, though.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I always thought it was because of the diamond search engine, You scoped out the prices hence PriceScope.

That makes perfect sense. But if I hadn't found this site through a co-worker's fiance, I'd never have known, from the name, what it was and likely would not have ever clicked on it. Or found it for that matter.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember "RockyTalky" always striking me as a very odd name for a forum. I chalked it up to Leonid not being a native English speaker. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results