shape
carat
color
clarity

How cool is this

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Pandora II, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. Pandora II
    Ideal_Rock

by Pandora II » May 16, 2008
    I saw this the other week at Grand Designs in London and I sooooo want one.

Sadly I don''t have a garden - but one day it will be mine!

The big one takes Koi carp and the small one decent sized goldfish.

Pb031342.jpg

2. gwendolyn
    Ideal_Rock

by gwendolyn » May 16, 2008
    Is that a fountain on the right side too? Very fun. [​IMG]

3. golden
    Shiny_Rock

by golden » May 16, 2008
    I am so not an outdoorsy type, I have always lived in doorman buildings and now living in a house, I want to do everything outside, gorgeous patio etc but I don''t want to spend anytime out there hahaha
    to me...the table you like, is a breeding ground for mosquitos!

4. Miscka
    Brilliant_Rock

by Miscka » May 16, 2008
    That is fantastic! I love it. I bet crumbs would fall in there and the fish would like it!

5. Maisie
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Maisie » May 16, 2008
    We don''t really have a mosquito problem here in the UK [​IMG]

6. Aloros
    Brilliant_Rock

by Aloros » May 16, 2008
    I think I just suffered from a massive surge of envy.

All I can think about when I see that table is what would happen if someone spilled a glass of wine!

7. bee*
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by bee* » May 16, 2008
    that''s such a cool table! I love it.

8. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Dancing Fire » May 16, 2008
    very popular hobby in the UK. i have a 12,000 gallon koi pond in my backyard.

9. Tacori E-ring
    Super_Ideal_Rock

10. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

pic of my unfinish 12,000 gal pond. if i had the money i would do-over AGAIN. [​IMG]

koi 12300.jpg

11. lyra
    Ideal_Rock

by lyra » May 16, 2008
    I have a couple of problems with the table. We have a very small pond, and a fountain (shaped like a koi!). Birds are attracted to both, as are raccoons. We can''t keep even goldfish in the pond because it would be a source of food for the raccoons.[​IMG] Birds leave worms in the fountain daily. Both the pond and the fountain need a lot of maintainance, and can get smelly, which is natural, but I really don''t think I''d want to eat around either given the amount of wildlife they attract.

DF, I would dearly love to have a real koi pond, but where I live in Canada, it would have to have a very deep end for them to survive the winter, if they did survive. We have nowhere to house them for a winter either.

On the plus side of having them separate from an eating area, I''d never do without either! A mother and 4 baby raccoons came to the pond one night and washed their "hands" in it, it was so cool to watch. Birds bathe in the fountain every day. And last year, we were *thrilled*, because we had 2 frogs come live in the pond. It''s very small, 50 gallons maybe? It was a real coup getting frogs IMO. But I''m just crazy that way. [​IMG]

12. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

lyra
    there''re koi hobbyist in Canada too. what you need to do is built a plastic cover for the winter .

btw; my deep end is 7- 8.5 ft deep. if you ever decide to built a pond,don''t do less than 8 ft deep.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76004&highlight=greenhouse+cover

13. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

SDL
    the San Diego area has some of the best koi pond in the U.S.

the S.D. koi club is one of thee best in the U.S.

the S.D. club runs one of thee best koi show in the U.S.

14. Pandora II
    Ideal_Rock

by Pandora II » May 16, 2008
    Couple of things to add:

Fish are fine with a glass of wine - you''d need a couple of bottles to upset them apparently.

Mosquitos are rarely a problem in the UK and anyway, the fish will eat the lavae asap

There are slatted covers that fit over the squares to stop cats, herons etc eating the fish, and it''s pretty safe for kids as well.

I met the couple who invented it who were so nice - he''s a mad keen fish person.

DF, I love your fish pool, it looks amazing.

If we manage to buy a house with a roof terrace or small garden I am definitely getting one of these!

15. sera
    Ideal_Rock

by sera » May 16, 2008
    That''s really neat! I think the fish would eat any mosquito larvae- I actually sometimes buy it for my fishies in the tank. [​IMG] I guess you would have to be careful not to spill anything that would kill them... and keep it clean so it''s not stinky. I love fish and water and fountains and things... so peaceful.

16. LaurenThePartier
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by LaurenThePartier » May 16, 2008
    Wow, awesome table, and DF, that''s a stunning koi pond! Wow!

17. monarch64
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by monarch64 » May 17, 2008
    Pandora, that is a really sweet table! I''d love to have one as well, but we definitely don''t have room on our patio. Our next door neighbors have a 8,000 gallon koi pond, sometime when they take off the plastic cover (usually Memorial Day weekend) I will take pics and post, they have a lot of mature koi, some of which are over a foot long and I think my neighbor said some of them are 12 years old?! Is that possible, or did I dream it? LOL.

DF, your koi pond is awesome! Here in Chicago my neighbors have the plastic/mesh cover but the fish are up and about now, we can see them over the fence between our properties. The sound of the water bubbling and when the fish feed and play carries up to our bathroom on the second floor, and we can see and hear them every morning when we''re getting ready. It is such a comforting sound, we love being neighbors with them. Also, every time we have friends over, they always want to look over the fence at the koi pond, they think it is SO coool! Wonder if our property value goes up because of it? Ha ha!

18. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Dancing Fire » May 17, 2008
    avg koi life span is 22 yrs,but they go down hill way before that age.

koi 12440.jpg

19. btrflygrl23
    Brilliant_Rock

by btrflygrl23 » May 17, 2008
    OMGosh Dancing Fire it is gorgeous, I totally want one! And Pandora II I don''t have a garden either but I too am going to get that someday it''s on my list of things I must have. Very cool!

20. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

btrflygrl23
    better do lots of research before you decide to built one. my pond may look good to you,but there''re too many mistakes ,not as easy as you think. [​IMG]

koi 12148 a.jpg

21. Independent Gal
    Ideal_Rock

by Independent Gal » May 17, 2008
    Very neat!

Hard to keep clean though, I bet.

And I guess you couldn''t have a cat. [​IMG]

22. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

easy to clean if you do everything the right and yes, you can have cats.

23. Harriet
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Harriet » May 17, 2008
    Cool table!

DF,
    How big is your biggest koi? The huge ones scare me.

24. Kaleigh
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Kaleigh » May 17, 2008
    DF, I well remember your Koi, looks like they are thriving. Well done, they must be lots of fun, are they expensive??

25. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

Harriet.....the biggest i got is about 20".the biggest i have seen is 42"

Kaleigh....the most i ever paid for a koi (not in the pic) was $1250. there're many imported koi that are in the $5000-$10,000 range.in Japan there're many $30,000-$50,000 koi. and....you guys thought PSers are nuts [​IMG] there're more crazy people on those koi forums [​IMG] think about this....kois don't live forever,diamonds do. [​IMG] there're more crazy koi hobbyist [​IMG]upgrading their koi collection than PSers ungrading their e-ring. [​IMG]

26. Kaleigh
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Kaleigh » May 17, 2008
    I kinda get it, but not really. They are beautiful fish. BUT, do they have personalities, do you know them? I would think the fish that live this long would get to know you, at least they know when you feed them. So I would venture to think after observing them for years and years they do know you, they do have their own personalities?? I think that''s cool. [​IMG]

27. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

Lisa, i don''t know [​IMG] but some hobbyist say their kois recognize them. [​IMG]

28. chiquitapet
    Ideal_Rock

by chiquitapet » May 18, 2008
    Cool table! My DH was obsessed with wanting a pet koi, but unfortunately it`s not legal in our state.

29. justjulia
    Ideal_Rock

by justjulia » May 18, 2008
    Wow--just WOW. Maybe you should have a book published with advice, and pictures. Why not?

30. icekid
    Ideal_Rock

by icekid » May 18, 2008
    So cool, Pandora! You''ll have to let us know how it works out when you get one. I can''t wait to have an awesome patio... someday!

DF- Thanks for sharing your koi pics too. How much time do you spend on keeping up the pond / fish?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.