shape
carat
color
clarity

How comfortable are Manolos really?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
I''m short (and pleasantly plump) so my godmother and mom have concerns that I will have to wear heels with my wedding gown because the dress will not be able to be shortened enough to not look "silly". I think they are being a bit paranoid but I digress. Heels and I do not get along. My ankles are pronated which means they turn in (despite having very strong leg muscles). My godmother has offered to purchase a pair of designer shoes for me for my wedding based on her assumption that a good quality shoe can make all the difference in comfort. She suggested Manolos and I had a heck of a time not slipping into the dreamy eyed state that comes with the thought of even touching, much less slipping on, a pair of such well-known shoes
9.gif

However, given my turny ankles and bad history with stiletto shoes I''m wondering if I should decline her more than generous offer. I''d hate for her to spend hundreds on a pair of shoes only to see me parading around my reception barefoot.

So tell me ladies, how comfy are Manolos really? Have any of you been unable to wear other heels and found that you could comfortably wear (and dance) in Manolos?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are really not bad. The Carolyne style is fairly comfy and they come in a variety of colors and materials.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any Manolos (sigh...someday...) but I just wanted to suggest looking at some wedges rather than stilettos -- you''ll still get the height but they can be a little more stable. Lucky girl you are, your godmother sounds like a gem!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Given that you have ankle issues, I would stick to wedge heels. They offer so much more stability. I have strong ankles that don''t turn easily, and stiletto still manage to make my ankle twist occasionally. You don''t want to get hurt or fall on your wedding day--please don''t wear stilettos if you never wear heels and have weak ankles!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
+1 on what DiamondFan said about the Carolyne''s in particular. However, what separates MB''s from most shoes is that the designer REALLY knows what he is doing in terms of front/back-left/right balance in the structure; I find the superior weight distribution ratio is noteworthy for Manolo''s. In essence, it''s mathematically engineered better than the average shoe. I can wear mine for 12 hours in a 90mm with no problems. However, that''s only true if it works with your walking style!

The only way to find out is to try a pair on. Let us know how it goes!

f-d-l

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
To me, Manolo Blahniks and other shoes of that caliber are much more comfortable than poorly-made shoes of the same heel height. However, heels are still heels and can never be as comfortable as flats. Is there a store near you that carries them so you can try them on and see for yourself?

I find that comfort in heels takes a lot of time and practice. I love the way heels look, but I try to be kind to my feet and not wear them too often. I usually wear heels once or twice a week to keep my legs and feet used to wearing heels and so I can enjoy my nice shoes, while hopefully avoiding the problems that come with constant high heel usage.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
The only pair I have have a stiletto style heel and they''re not super comfortable. Not bad..I definitely have worse.
3.gif
Mine are what the nice lady at Saks that I work with a lot when I go there calls "dinner shoes" because they''re good for walking into a restaurant and sitting down..not so good for standing up for a long time or anything else.

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
KeepingtheFaith, a good quality shoe CAN make a difference in comfort, but only to a point. As someone else said, heels are heels. From what you said, you should really consider low or medium heels, and do NOT under any circumstances wear stilettos or even high wedges REGARDLESS of who makes the shoe. This Manolo comes in gold, silver and white satin.

NMX8516_my.jpg

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone who says...stay away from very high heels on your wedding day. No matter the price tag. With turny ankles...you will not be comfortable.

A lower wedge or kitten heel in a well made shoe in my opinion would work, Whatever you do though...where them around for hours on end at home to get your feet use to them. If you are not a heel wearer, no matter how well made they are. If your just wearing them on the day. You may have issues.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide...depending on the heel height. The manolo posted looks divine..

By the way.......when your godmom offered to pay for a pair..did she really know how much they cost? That is a very nice offer...You at least need to go do a try on afternoon anyway. Even if you do not buy them...that would just be so much fun!

ETA I almost forgot...also look for a shoe with a thick heel and a little bit of platform in the front. You can go higher and feel more stability that way. The plate form raises the front of your foot closer to the back making it feel as though your shoe is not as high as it seems. Something like this style...

http://www.bellissimabridalshoes.com/product/019152.shtml

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Manolo Blahnik''s Carolyne also comes in a 2" heel, I think. I dont wear heels much, but I''d suggest wearing atleast tiny heels or wedges for the wedding. Heels (of the right height) give you a wonderful posture and back arch. If the heels are too high for your liking, then you''ll look super uncomfortable in them (you''ll walk with a forward leaning centre of mass).

I''d suggest going around and trying on different shoes. Walk around in them for atleast 10-15 min in the store before you make a puchase. Good luck!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have wobbly ankles too. I would lean toward the 70 mm and not the higher one. Too much lower and you might as well not bother with a heel at all. I hate to feel my feet hurting, it is the pits!!!

SuLi

Shiny_Rock
I can definitely relate to your problem -- I have flat-feet and tend to over pronate as well. I usually wear flats, but sometimes, you have to bite the bullet and try a pair of flats. I just received my Sedaraby shoes yesterday, the 90mm, and I''ve walked around them at home, and they feel very comfortable. I know that Manolos come in 70mm, which is a shorter heel.

I really recommend, if possible, going to a store that carries Manolos or designer shoes (you shouldn''t limit yourself to Manolos only...lots of great designers make lovely wedding shoes) and try them on in person. Should you decide to purchase a pair, I would practice walking around the house to get used to them.

Also, I would recommend inserts if you have foot issues that you are concerned with. Foot Petals (which can be found at Nordstrom) work really well for me for some shoes.

Good luck!

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much everyone!

I will certainly be scheduling a shoe shopping day once I have my dress picked out and feel more comfortable knowing if I can get away with flats or not. I am certainly going to lean towards a kitten heel; wedge or none at all.

My godmother is quite the fashionista so I am sure if I was to ask her to spend a day shopping for that perfect pair she''d jump at the chance. I''m the one who is more of the plain jane "thanks, but my birkenstocks are fine" girl
2.gif
My godmother is quite a ham - she certainly knows the high price tag attached to the shoes but I think she wanted to take ownership of the "something new". Her generosity astounds me.

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
I think everyone has already answered your shoe question, but as for the dress looking "silly" because you are short, well, that''s just silly! There are a lot of short brides out there that look just gorgeous. Some gown manufacturers actually offer their dresses in petite. So, when you go shopping, ask about this! Good luck!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
They really are the most comfortable shoes. I wear them out on the town most nights and they are amazing.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
I just wore for my wedding my red Sedaraby Manolos from 1PM, all around the NYC for photos, through the ceremony, danced all night, and finally took them off for flip flops at midnight. They were AWESOME!

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
I''m wearing my Sedarabys for the wedding and they are super easy to walk in (I have the 90mm). The only thing I noticed is that the balls of my feet hurt a little bit after 1 hour straight of standing on them during my fittings. But I think any high heels would hurt after that amount of time of standing still.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 6:00:43 PM
Author: Krissie
I''m wearing my Sedarabys for the wedding and they are super easy to walk in (I have the 90mm). The only thing I noticed is that the balls of my feet hurt a little bit after 1 hour straight of standing on them during my fittings. But I think any high heels would hurt after that amount of time of standing still.

Krissie-
Try foot petals! They helped a lot and while I still had a tiny bit of pain at the end of the night, there''s no doubt it would have been far worse without!

SuLi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/11/2008 7:37:53 AM
Author: scarlet16

Date: 9/10/2008 6:00:43 PM
Author: Krissie

Krissie-
Try foot petals! They helped a lot and while I still had a tiny bit of pain at the end of the night, there''s no doubt it would have been far worse without!
I agree -- Foot Petals are amazing! In fact, I''m picking up some Foot Petals after work tonight for my Sedarabys.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results