shape
carat
color
clarity

How Color Sensitive Are You?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its talked about in here a lot because like it or not, diamonds are a zero sum game meaning if your budget is fixed then you have to adjust the 4 C's up or down to equal out.

One such C is color. Many people prefer, or value, colorless stones. However the cost between a D and H stone can be enough to make you consider your sensitivity.

Recently there was another thread and @cflutist provided this awesome link to test your color acuity.

http://www.colormunki.com/game/huetest_kiosk

Apparently 0 is perfect and the highest (worst) score is 378079.

I took the test. Scored an 8. What's your sensitivity?

Screen cap of results:
Capture3.PNG

Screen cap as early as I thought to capture a "starting point":
Capture.PNG

Screen cap when I was done:
Capture2.PNG

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, OK, so I made myself do it and scored a 3. HOW I can't see color (or at least am not bothered by it) in my "I" colored diamond makes no sense.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't think to get a screen shot of the actual test, but I'm a 4. Maybe you need to have your gf do the test? Might help to understand if she is really seeing the tint or just *thinking* that she is.... (I suspect my DH would be a 0 - he is even more colour sensitive than I am).

upload_2018-9-6_14-22-42.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-6_14-18-18.png
    upload_2018-9-6_14-18-18.png
    119.6 KB · Views: 45
  • upload_2018-9-6_14-20-24.png
    upload_2018-9-6_14-20-24.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 17
  • upload_2018-9-6_14-20-31.png
    upload_2018-9-6_14-20-31.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 73

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I didn't have the patience either. I only did the top row and got all of those right. I might have done it the last time the test made the rounds but I can't remember for sure.

At any rate, a high color sensitivity does not necessarily = desire for a high color diamond.

@sledge, from your posts, I think that your fiance loves her ring and you just need to quit worrying about it! :naughty: If she could see color in a D or E diamond, she is not seeing the diamond's body tone but rather the color reflected in the environment or fire or something else. But I think that you are making yourself crazy for NO reason. :!: I figured this thread was as good a thread to tell you as any other. :cheeky:

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I scored a 4, and probably a 5% to perfect color accuity for my demographic. Makes sense. I loved my E colored EC diamond, and needed to see that white stone. Makes me wonder what my tolerance will be for a super ideal cut given that this is my preference?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the repost. I didn't realize it had already circulated. I noticed the OP of the other thread said to take twice as your score improves. I barely had the patience to do once so 8 is my number, lol. In fairness, looking at my screen caps I've identified my mistakes. I think eye fatigue played in as I was very bored after the first line.

FYI I genuinely didn't start this because of the H color and my fiancee. I just found it interesting. Although I am curious how she will test. I'm just not sure she will have the patience to entertain such a test. Of course she's competitive like me and likes to excel at everything so maybe. If so I will let you all know.

Side note, I got a new scope yesterday that I can plug into my laptop. I took a screen shot of the girdle inscription and was showing it to her. She said you know what else I see? Without thinking I say what? Yellow in my diamond!

Ugh. I've created a monster. I couldn't even be mad. She did her scrunchy nose face when she started laughing which I find adorable. I told her I wanted the ring back and was replacing. She wouldn't surrender it and said I needed to relax. Apparently busting my man jewels brings her joy. Yay me! :mrgreen2:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I scored a 0 when I took it last time. I can start to see color from the side at an I and my former e-ring was an E which was overkill for me. Seeing a little color doesn't bother me though. I own an L and I can see the color, but I still like that diamond. My personal sweet spot is about a J. In a perfect world, where I won the lottery, I would buy all G-H. Maybe an F if I bought a step cut.

When it comes to my budget, my priorities are cut, size, clarity and then color.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I scored a 0 the last time I took it. Super color sensitive. Unfortunately for my budget, I like colorless unless it's a vintage cut (and then I'm okay with warm). I see tint in G, but not enough to really bug me. H is too warm (again, unless it's vintage). That being said, one day I'd also like a Q color MRB :mrgreen2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t do the test, but I don’t think I’m particularly colour sensitive anyway.

I have H & I diamonds that look white to me, and Bella is an L.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took that test and others as well. I got a 0 in all of them. I believe there's actually a genetic reason for this. Also, I'm old lol, which makes me pretty low % for my age group.

I like different colors for different kinds of stones. RBs I prefer colorless, antique style diamonds I like lower on the color scale. Fancy shapes can be any color.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another 0 over here. I see the color & depending on the piece it may look better to me colorless, with a hint of warmth, or more saturated/out there.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its talked about in here a lot because like it or not, diamonds are a zero sum game meaning if your budget is fixed then you have to adjust the 4 C's up or down to equal out.

One such C is color. Many people prefer, or value, colorless stones. However the cost between a D and H stone can be enough to make you consider your sensitivity.

Recently there was another thread and @cflutist provided this awesome link to test your color acuity.

http://www.colormunki.com/game/huetest_kiosk

Apparently 0 is perfect and the highest (worst) score is 378079.

I took the test. Scored an 8. What's your sensitivity?

Screen cap of results:
Capture3.PNG

Screen cap as early as I thought to capture a "starting point":
Capture.PNG

Screen cap when I was done:
Capture2.PNG

When I was a puppy I took the munsell color test at one of the AGTA conventions in Tucson, clear back when they were at the Double Tree and not big enough for the convention center that they fill so well now.

I missed two. (You miss in two's as if you put one in the wrong place you automatically have switched two tiles.) I see people talking about missing three above, so perhaps the test is scored differently now.

I tried it again a couple of years ago and more than three decades from my first test. My excellent color vision is no more...

Funny thing is, during that first decade or so of selling diamonds, I would only sell something "below" an H under protest. As I grew in age I also grew in understanding that my tastes do not equal other people's tastes and as I experimented more and more with H, I, J, K colored diamonds for my clients on a budget, I discovered that while I could easily see the colors, the colors were not "evil", merely more observable.

Fast forward a few decades more and I now love any color from D through Z, provided it is well cut and sparkly. Sparkle is my true love. Color is just another flavor of the sparkle. Show me a bright red with no sparkle and I will NOT be impressed or excited.

Show me a light gray, properly cut and I will freely admit that light gray properly cut is excitingly different. In fact, one of the most interesting diamonds I ever owned was a steel gray emerald cut that was incredibly well cut that I bought back in '79 or '80. I still regret that I no longer have that diamond.

Short story, I am not color sensitive, I am sparkle sensitive.

Wink

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fast forward a few decades more and I now love any color from D through Z, provided it is well cut and sparkly. Sparkle is my true love. Color is just another flavor of the sparkle. Show me a bright red with no sparkle and I will NOT be impressed or excited.

Short story, I am not color sensitive, I am sparkle sensitive.

Wink

We are total agreement about this. When I try to explain to people why I don't mind warm colored stones, it's not that I *cant* see the difference, it's just that I don't think it's a bad thing. Colorless and warm are both great--just different "flavors". I need to use that term!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Forget that test. I can't do it all.
I like this one; 41 circles of dots in different colors - what number do you see on each?
https://enchroma.com/pages/test

My results:

"What is a mild protan?

Protan-type color vision deficiency is a type of red-green color blindness where the red cones in the eye do not detect enough red light, but instead respond more to green light.

As a result, many colors such as green, yellow, orange, red, and brown may appear confusingly similar. People with color blindness often also confuse blue and purple, and see pink as a shade of gray or white."

I flunked this test numerous times in elementary school. Couldn't name all of the colors correctly...

BS8.jpg

Now you know why I went with an F WF ACA. I put the burden on them.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We are total agreement about this. When I try to explain to people why I don't mind warm colored stones, it's not that I *cant* see the difference, it's just that I don't think it's a bad thing. Colorless and warm are both great--just different "flavors". I need to use that term!

I remember being taught that there are three kinds of learning modes for people, visual, auditory and tactile. I told the instructor that he had forgotten the fourth.

What forth?

Gustatory.

My mom told me that I was always tasting things as a young child and I had some great faces to go with some of the flavors.

Wink

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree - there is color sensitivity and color tolerance. I am *very* color sensitive, I completed the test pretty quickly and scored a 0 on the first go, but I am also color tolerant - I don't mind a bit of color in my stones.

You know what my husband's favorite game is? When I ask him to grab something and I describe it by color. As in, "Honey, could you grab my sweater? The poppy color one." Poor man had never even heard of aubergine until he met me! :lol:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is a huge difference between being able to see color at different levels, and what color level one might prefer or dislike.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results