shape
carat
color
clarity

How can you tell if you have a real Kashmir Sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gemlover2

Rough_Rock
I recently bought a sapphire, from a reputable jeweler in another city, that was sold as a natural Kashmir sapphire. A jeweler (who has not seen the stone) thinks it is unlikely that it is a real Kashmir at the price I paid. I showed it to a jeweler in my city that may be setting the stone for me. She remarked that it had a "velvety texture" and was probably a Kashmir. How can you tell for certain?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are sapphires from other sources that resemble the Kashmiri ones. The only way to ascertain the origin of yours is to send it to a lab, such as Gubelin. Even then, the report may not be conclusive. Also, as I don''t know how much you paid for the stone, I''m not sure if an origin test will be cost-effective.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
There is also a big difference between:

- A sapphire that happens to come from Kashmir - which could be amazing, good, bad or indifferent.

- A ''kashmir'' sapphire such as those of legend - sadly mostly mined out over 100 years ago.

Sapphires with silk and a sleepy, velvetly look can come from lots of places - I have a few from Sri Lanka. The stone may well be unheated if it has good silk which does convey a premium as regards price.

If you have a great sapphire, adding a lab report confiriming that it comes from Kashmir could significantly up the price. If the sapphire isn''t top quality and top colour then it''s a case of whether you are prepared to pay for the lab report for your own satisfaction (if they are able to ascertain locale at all - not always possible).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results