shape
carat
color
clarity

how can I look closely at some stranger's beautiful rocks?

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
so yesterday I was at an event and this lovely young lady's e-ring caught my attention right away. it is an emerald cut, white and sparkly.As I am quite obsessed with emerald cut recently, I really wanted to grab her hands and give it a close look. but I don't know her, and I didn't want her to think I am a freak...so I had to let go of that young lady and her ring :wink2: :wink2:

same thing happened from time to time...

anyone here has the same experience before? anyway you give a close look at that beautiful diamond at last?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: how can I look closely at some stranger's beautiful rock

Generally if something catches my eye I will just say pretty ring - or pretty earrings. Then it depends on their reaction. Most people I've said something too are gracious and say thank you and sometimes they offer more information about it. If they offer to let me see it closer I would look at it on their hand but keep my distance. If they don't offer I would never ask.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

When I see someone wearing a gorgeous piece of jewelry, I usually comment.
I just approach the person and say "I can't help noticing your beautiful ring! It's just gorgeous!" Most people are flattered.
(I never say "diamond" in case it is a simulant, I don't want to be presumptuous)
They will say "Oh, thank you!" Then it is up to them to offer more info, if they want to.
If they seem friendly, they will offer their hand and you can look closer.
I find that almost everyone loves to talk about their jewels.
Sometimes you get a great story, and make a new friend, too!

I used to work retail, and the parade of beautiful rings past my cash register was fascinating!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dude - wave the freak flag and just pull out the loupe, the camera phone with the macro lens, and just go to town - YOLO!!! :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just say...Can I have a closer look at your fake diamond?.. :wink2:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My mother just bought herself a new diamond ring for her 70th birthday and is really sad because she thinks no one has noticed it. I tell her people have, but are probably too shy to say anything. So if you see a lovely piece of jewelry say something. I know my mom would be thrilled and would be happy to show it off and tell you about it. Often jewelry commemorates a special event so people like to share the jewelry and tell you why it has special meaning. I think it is funny most people have no problem showing off new cars, homes and electronics but feel talking about jewelry is somehow "gauche". Jewelry is WAY better.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean|1465013987|4040011 said:
Dude - wave the freak flag and just pull out the loupe, the camera phone with the macro lens, and just go to town - YOLO!!! :lol:

I am a jewelry freak but I've had someone ask to loupe my ring before and did not appreciate it! It's one thing to pay someone a compliment about their jewelry and maybe THEN ask for a closer look, but right off the bat saying motioning to hand over your ring with one hand while grasping the loupe on your lanyard is downright reprehensible in my book! For context, I was at work and this was a total stranger--not like a jewelry store or social situation at all. People are crazy, man. :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1465080864|4040260 said:

I am a jewelry freak but I've had someone ask to loupe my ring before and did not appreciate it! It's one thing to pay someone a compliment about their jewelry and maybe THEN ask for a closer look, but right off the bat saying motioning to hand over your ring with one hand while grasping the loupe on your lanyard is downright reprehensible in my book! For context, I was at work and this was a total stranger--not like a jewelry store or social situation at all. People are crazy, man. :lol:

Monnie, Were you living in Chicago when this happened? My mother in law carried her loupe with her everywhere and was known to do just what you stated. And yes she was CRAZY!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake|1465181686|4040658 said:
monarch64|1465080864|4040260 said:

Monnie, Were you living in Chicago when this happened? My mother in law carried her loupe with her everywhere and was known to do just what you stated. And yes she was CRAZY!

Haha, no, I was back in Indiana when this happened. It was an older gentleman who was probably either a hobbyist or jeweler himself. I just felt very put on the spot because there I was at work taking care of customers on the sales floor and I didn't want to offend him but I didn't want to show him my ring, either! That's funny that your MIL did it too, I almost would have felt more comfortable if it had been a woman who asked me. During my retail career I attracted a LOT of creepers, always older men. You're an easy target when you can't exactly leave the room. :rolleyes: :sick:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I do the same thing stracci does. I compliment the piece and ask for a closer look.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock

hey my dear fellow PSers :wavey: thank you for sharing all the tips and your great or crazy stories and i can't hold my laughter when reading down the thread :lol: i am quite shy and always afraid to be rejected by people. I am so encouraged and I think I will get my loupe ready for every big shining rock i can catch from tomorrow on LOL!

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock

:lol:

I very, very, very rarely get to see anything over 0.50ct in my neck of the woods and what there is is usually filthy and gunked up. Occasionally I'll see a pretty old cut at which point I pretty much lose my mind and gush, like flat out gush! And say wow! That is stunning! Wow! Amazing! It looks antique! Was it your grandmother's?

And then I hear aaaaaall about how granny had 14 grandchildren but chose to leave it to them, and everyone said it was unfair but she doesn't care because she was the favourite, or how her great-great-great-grandfather was a big noise Randlord and there was drunkenness and debauchery which led to a major family squabble and the lawyers took everything but a few jewels remained and this is what was passed on to her or how her Nonna brought it over from Italy and she was going to sell it to help them in the business but her grandfather refused or how her grandfather won it in a poker game (I heard this on a train in Japan from a wonderful American woman scientist colleague of my husband's - beautiful story, richly told. This woman has since passed and I often wonder what happened to her beautiful 1ct+ old cut and every time I see her husband I want to ask, but it's not really something you can ask, y'know?).

I always, always ask. Even when my hair is a mess, I'm not wearing any makeup and I reek of baby puke - hearing the stories and ogling the jewels makes everything else worth dealing with!

Anyway. Moral of the story, I gush! And ask to take a closer look.

Only once has a woman taken offence - she turned her 9mm rock palm inwards, said it was fake, and rushed off. Whatever. I have one unpleasant story out of literally dozens, so I'll take those odds any day! :D

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock

pricescopenewbie said:
so yesterday I was at an event and this lovely young lady's e-ring caught my attention right away. it is an emerald cut, white and sparkly.As I am quite obsessed with emerald cut recently, I really wanted to grab her hands and give it a close look. but I don't know her, and I didn't want her to think I am a freak...so I had to let go of that young lady and her ring :wink2: :wink2:

same thing happened from time to time...

anyone here has the same experience before? anyway you give a close look at that beautiful diamond at last?

Just say, "oh wow, your ring/necklace/earrings/bracelet/etc are stunning" and see what they say. Maybe they'll talk about them and let you see them, even let you try them on. Maybe they'll give you the name of the jeweler or shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results