shape
carat
color
clarity

How big is too big?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

golfer

Shiny_Rock
My girlfriend's ring size is 4.5. One dealer (who I spoke with by phone) said that I shouldn't go above 1.25 carats. I was planning on something in the 1.5-1.7 carat range, possibly even a little larger. My girlfriend doesn't wear any other jewelry (except a watch). We looked a few stones and she seemed comfortable with anything up to 2 carats, but that was just a few seconds each, and the bands didn't fit (just looking at the mirror, not actually wearing the thing). I don't want to get her something too big, i.e., impedes her normal life, she is too aware of it.

Is the dealer just giving me b.s.? What size stone should I be looking for? She's about 5'4, average weight, 4.5 ring size.

Thanks a lot in advance for any thoughts.

jessicarfc75

Rough_Rock
I am responding to this as someone who looks at diamonds and hands all day long...having said that...your gf will more than likely find herself complaining later on that "the diamond is too big". That would be a new one for me. I have had clients go smaller down the road, but have gone up in cut, color, or clarity...but I have yet have one come in and say "We'd like the exact same diamond, only smaller". When that happens to me, I will, as I read someone else say earlier..."eat my hat":bigsmile:

golfer

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry, but I don't fully understand your post. Are you saying that 1.7(ish) is too big, or not?

jessicarfc75

Rough_Rock
nope...not too big...sorry...I can be long-winded:snore:

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It takes a woman about 24 hours (or less) to get used to a big diamond. I've never seen a woman who thought a diamond was "too big" for her, unless she was concerned about her fiancee's budget.

Go for it. The jeweler was inadvertently boxing you in with a traditional response.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results