shape
carat
color
clarity

how are you ladies dealing with your sparklies obsession during these tough times?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
hi everyone, i''m new to this portion of pricescope, this is pretty cool

anyway, i''ve recently reset my e-ring and purchased two gemstone rings on etsy, total it wasn''t too much out of my pockets, but i''ve been feeling guilty about the purchases

i''ve limited myself at this point, but i was wondering how everyone else is dealing. i already have another ring idea in my head, so this is rough...
3.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well. The only way we''d be in terrible shape is if I lose my job (please, please, please let that not happen!). And with my job, we''re fine. If I lost my job, 2K or 5K wouldn''t make a difference to us. Just a drop in the bucket. LOL. Seriously. We''d have the same number of options (all bad) if I bought my pendant, or if I didn''t. So... at least if I get my pendant, with or without my job... I''ll have something lovely to look at.

Doesn''t make sense to anyone but me I suppose. But I am scaling back more in almost every other way as well, just to not feel bad about the pendant. It is hard to not be terrified.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
crying

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I''m not getting involved in any new projects.
I decided last year that I was making my 5 stone into an eternity but it''s going to take a looooong time. I did purchase my 6th stone this week though. My 7th won''t be til the end of the year. ..sigh..
I figure having a long term goal is good in a way. It won''t tempt me to get anything else in the meantime.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Go to SMTR thread and feast my eyes on others'' sparklies.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 11:48:31 PM
Author:ficklefaye
hi everyone, i''m new to this portion of pricescope, this is pretty cool

anyway, i''ve recently reset my e-ring and purchased two gemstone rings on etsy, total it wasn''t too much out of my pockets, but i''ve been feeling guilty about the purchases

i''ve limited myself at this point, but i was wondering how everyone else is dealing. i already have another ring idea in my head, so this is rough...
3.gif
The rough economy has made me cut back on any major purchases so over the last few years ive really appreciated the jewelry i have in my jewelry box.At current prices i could never afford the time or money to collect in these times.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
To deal with my urge to buy, I just go "review" my jewelry boxes and count how many pieces I already have, then I stop wanting to buy. :)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a student so can''t afford anything at the moment let alone sparklies! I have a little folder on my mac with all the things I want to buy when I graduate.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have just upgraded my diamond. There won''t be any large purchases for me in the near future. But thats ok. I am just glad to be getting a big sparkly diamond!
30.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 12:48:03 AM
Author: lili
Ditto.
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 2:44:47 AM
Author: zhuzhu
To deal with my urge to buy, I just go 'review' my jewelry boxes and count how many pieces I already have, then I stop wanting to buy. :)
He he, that's funny! I wonder know how many of PS'ers do that (?). I actually lay all my bling out on my bed practically every few days to "admire" them!
9.gif

BUT I'm having real withdrawal symptoms. I keep dreaming about bigger studs (well, bigger bling in general) and I keep thinking all I need is $5k to upgrade my studs to the colour and minimum size I'd like. Not sure if hubby would let me though.
5.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 12:48:03 AM
Author: lili

Exactly. And, I do stare at my own sparkly quite a bit!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not affected so far. I have an annual jewellery budget that I adhere to so I'm all right. If I don't use it or if I have excess from the previous year, it goes back into my savings again.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
My husband had to take a pay cut :-/. I''m just glad he still has a one though because so many people in the US have lost theirs. We have had to cut back on so many things and that includes gemstones and jewelry. One of the things I did to satisfy mu lust for pretty sparkly things was to start taking a jewelry making class. So far I love it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 7:41:35 AM
Author: Phoenix

To deal with my urge to buy, I just go ''review'' my jewelry boxes and count how many pieces I already have, then I stop wanting to buy. :)
He he, that''s funny! I wonder know how many of PS''ers do that (?). I actually lay all my bling out on my bed practically every few days to ''admire'' them!
9.gif

BUT I''m having real withdrawal symptoms. I keep dreaming about bigger studs (well, bigger bling in general) and I keep thinking all I need is $5k to upgrade my studs to the colour and minimum size I''d like. Not sure if hubby would let me though.
5.gif
Phoenix
BIGGER ??
23.gif
i''ve always wonder...how the heck you are able to lift your hand with them boulders on your fingers now.
9.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 11:49:17 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 3/15/2009 7:41:35 AM

To deal with my urge to buy, I just go ''review'' my jewelry boxes and count how many pieces I already have, then I stop wanting to buy. :)
He he, that''s funny! I wonder know how many of PS''ers do that (?). I actually lay all my bling out on my bed practically every few days to ''admire'' them!
9.gif

BUT I''m having real withdrawal symptoms. I keep dreaming about bigger studs (well, bigger bling in general) and I keep thinking all I need is $5k to upgrade my studs to the colour and minimum size I''d like. Not sure if hubby would let me though.
5.gif
Phoenix
BIGGER ??
23.gif
i''ve always wonder...how the heck you are able to lift your hand with them boulders on your fingers now.
9.gif
You''re too cute, DF!
9.gif

I''ll let you know if and when my bling becomes that big, ok?
2.gif
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 11:01:16 AM
Author: innerkitten
My husband had to take a pay cut :-/. I''m just glad he still has a one though because so many people in the US have lost theirs. We have had to cut back on so many things and that includes gemstones and jewelry. One of the things I did to satisfy mu lust for pretty sparkly things was to start taking a jewelry making class. So far I love it.
innerkitten - a jewelry class! What a great idea. What kinds of metals are you working with? My friend took one a few years back and she made a few fun rings out of silver.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually, even though I love diamonds, I''m not obsessed enough to be in the catagory of "dealing" with the economic sitation and scaling back as a result.

Just my view: it''s impossible to predict who may loose a job at this point. I don''t think it''s wise for most to even consider buying any luxury items!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went to my safety deposit box, to rotate some pieces. Put some in, and took some out. It''s like they are brand new to me.
1.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same way I always have: Thinking about want I would like to have next.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The recession (depression?) has not changed my gem and jewellery plans much. This is because we've always refused to buy anything on credit and I'm fortunate enough to have a reserve.

It terrifies me to see how some people spend. For example, I have a SAHM friend in Singapore. Her hubby doesn't have a good job, they live with her parents, have 3 kids, and yet she's a serial upgrader thanks to her credit card. I don't know if and how I should express my worries to her.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 7:06:40 PM
Author: Harriet
The recession (depression?) has not changed my gem and jewellery plans much. This is because we''ve always refused to buy anything on credit and I''m fortunate enough to have a reserve.

It terrifies me to see how some people spend. For example, I have a SAHM friend in Singapore. Her hubby doesn''t have a good job, they live with her parents, have 3 kids, and yet she''s a serial upgrader thanks to her credit card. I don''t know if and how I should express my worries to her.
We see that all the time, Harriet. It''s not unusual for people living in a HDB flat driving a Merc or BMW costing several times more than what their flat is worth, all the while financing these cars, living with their parents and having barelly enough money to pay for the bills.

A friend of ours who''s the Managing Partner of his law firm told us a young associate had just bought a Merc for about $200k and our friend knows exactly how much this young guy is paid (he''s the boss after all) - though of course he didn''t tell us this young guy''s salary.

People defaulting on CC loans are on a steep increase these days. It''s all over the newspaper.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Times are certainly scary. We were in the UK last September and seeing these big name banks going to the wall on a daily basis was very sobering.

I''ve thought long and hard about postponing my couple of projects. Thing is, I''ve waited a very long time to do these, if I don''t do them now then there is always the very real possibility that some other very good reason will come along why it''s not a good time.

My Mum scrimped and saved all her life. She was never a spendthrift and although she loved good jewellery and emeralds in particular, she never had any good jewellery until 4 months before she died. She went on a trip to Venice and spent a small fortune on a suite of emerald jewellery and wearing it made her feel like a goddess in the brief time she had it.

No, the recession is not putting me off this time, not one bit.

Mrs.Guz

Shiny_Rock
Last year Whiteflash made me a gorgeous diamond pendant.

My plan for this year (and hubby approved) was for new diamond studs but hubby has laid off 40 people over the last 3 months in his company.

I mentioned the earrings yesterday and he though I sounded like a brat so obviously I will have to wait until the economy turns around to get them.
28.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 12:13:05 AM
Author: Gailey
Times are certainly scary. We were in the UK last September and seeing these big name banks going to the wall on a daily basis was very sobering.

I''ve thought long and hard about postponing my couple of projects. Thing is, I''ve waited a very long time to do these, if I don''t do them now then there is always the very real possibility that some other very good reason will come along why it''s not a good time.

My Mum scrimped and saved all her life. She was never a spendthrift and although she loved good jewellery and emeralds in particular, she never had any good jewellery until 4 months before she died. She went on a trip to Venice and spent a small fortune on a suite of emerald jewellery and wearing it made her feel like a goddess in the brief time she had it.

No, the recession is not putting me off this time, not one bit.
Kudos to your Mum, Gailey!

You''re right. If we can afford something that makes us happy, why not go for it? Life''s already "nasty, brutish and short."

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 11:23:52 PM

Date: 3/15/2009 7:06:40 PM
Author: Harriet
The recession (depression?) has not changed my gem and jewellery plans much. This is because we''ve always refused to buy anything on credit and I''m fortunate enough to have a reserve.

It terrifies me to see how some people spend. For example, I have a SAHM friend in Singapore. Her hubby doesn''t have a good job, they live with her parents, have 3 kids, and yet she''s a serial upgrader thanks to her credit card. I don''t know if and how I should express my worries to her.
We see that all the time, Harriet. It''s not unusual for people living in a HDB flat driving a Merc or BMW costing several times more than what their flat is worth, all the while financing these cars, living with their parents and having barelly enough money to pay for the bills.

A friend of ours who''s the Managing Partner of his law firm told us a young associate had just bought a Merc for about $200k and our friend knows exactly how much this young guy is paid (he''s the boss after all) - though of course he didn''t tell us this young guy''s salary.

People defaulting on CC loans are on a steep increase these days. It''s all over the newspaper.
Phoenix,
Any insight as to what motivates these people to act so irrationally?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Same as I do in non-tough times: thoroughly enjoy the lovely pieces I already have.

Having a 'sparklies obsession' is a different monster from having an 'obtaining new sparklies obsession.' I have the former, and it doesn't really require any more money once you've got one or two great pieces
1.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
FI and I went to look at wedding bands yesterday and I will admit I was very diamond happy trying on all the eternity bands
30.gif

He said 'no more diamonds!' awhile back but I think he was joking (I think
2.gif
). We're not getting married for at least a year and a half so we have time. If I end up with a plain band for the wedding, that's fine too...we can always upgrade...and we will
31.gif

BUT Lord have mercy, I am loving those eternity wedding bands!

LilyOfTheValley

Shiny_Rock
Take out the sparklies that I already have, clean them, admire them, wear them and appreciate them! If it's a piece that I haven't worn in awhile, it'll feel like new all over again.
1.gif

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I had planned to upgrade my wedding set in or around 2011-2012 but after the financial hit we have taken, I just don''t even think about it. My husband works for an insurance company and we have lost a lot of our net worth in company stock. Right now, we are just trying to plan better so we don''t make the same mistakes in the future. Someday, maybe I will do the upgrade, but my priorities seriously have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results