shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you ladies avoiding unfortunate tan lines?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our wedding is in September, and though I'm dark-skinned (Indian) I tan, toast, and fry at incredible rates - and nothing but infant-spf even begins to keep it at bay!

So I've taken to wearing light long-sleeved shirts everywhere, but that's not going to fly when we go hiking/on vaca.

Any tips? Any darker-skinned women had good experiences with a specific brand of spray tan?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I am lighter skinned, but I get crazy tan lines too. The only thing I have found that works is a sunscreen with a barrier protection, which is....the baby sunscreen like you are using (I use Neutrogenia baby, I am allergic to coppertone baby). I use a spray tan on the areas where I don't tan as much. I only apply the baby sunscreen to my face, neck, shoulders, and arms.

ETA, my wedding is in September too, I am trying not to tan during the summer (my arms already have some color, but I don't have any dramatic tan lines), and than I guess I will have to spray tan before my Honeymoon in Hawaii.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
I wear spf 30 every day and avoid the sun like the plague. Our wedding is Aug. 28th, so I have to avoid the sun for pretty much the whole summer. It''s not a big sacrifice for me, I''ve never been a sun worshipper, but my sister is embarrassed when I go out with her in my big floppy straw sun hat.
9.gif

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
I''m wondering about this too. I tan very easily, and I walk and jog outside all the time in the summer. It''s one of my favorite things to do, but I always get crazy tan lines from my t-shirts and tank tops. I will probably lather on the sun screen when I go out, and get a spray tan before the wedding. But I do want to get a base tan at some point because we''ll likely go somewhere sunny for our honeymoon.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I wore sunblock with a high spf every day before my June wedding last year. I spend 2 hours in the car and I used to get burned just going to work! Just try to be as diligent as you can up until your wedding. As weird as it sounds, perhaps find a couple of thin strapped tanks you can wear on your hikes so you can slip the straps off your shoulders while out in the sun. You might look strange, but its better than have gnarly tan lines on your wedding day!

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
SPF 50, a strapless top while out in the sun/beach, and you should be good to go!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/4/2010 11:51:25 AM
Author: Clairitek
I wore sunblock with a high spf every day before my June wedding last year. I spend 2 hours in the car and I used to get burned just going to work! Just try to be as diligent as you can up until your wedding. As weird as it sounds, perhaps find a couple of thin strapped tanks you can wear on your hikes so you can slip the straps off your shoulders while out in the sun. You might look strange, but its better than have gnarly tan lines on your wedding day!
That makes total sense!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 4:50:09 PM
Author: yssie

Date: 5/4/2010 11:51:25 AM
Author: Clairitek
That makes total sense!
If you slip them off, make sure you slip them under your arms .. you could still get tan lines if they''re "dangling" on your arm (I hope this made sense?)

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I have a few things to suggest.
I never tan, but I am really good about sun protection.
There are a few things I would reccomend. The first and easiest is a lightweight cotton jacket. I get hot really easily and this is the best solution I have found. You can wear it hiking and take it off when you are in the shade.

I also use really strong sunscreen. My derm has me usuing Neutrogena face shield which is full spectrum, has some special blocking ingredients and is SPF 90. I have gotten very little color with it and I bike to work twice a week, so I am very happy.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
Topless tanning and avoiding the sun to the best of my ability when I''m outside with clothes on
emsmiled.gif
haha.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried invisible zinc that stuff is meant to be really good - apart from that I just stay out of the sun full stop pale as I am I tan/burn too quickly

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FI has been told that I will be laying out on the deck fully naked next summer (might try it out first this summer to be sure it works okay).

Of course our deck is clearly visible from our neighbor''s house (and partially visible from about 6 other houses and the street)
40.gif

So FI is going to build me privacy screens so I can lay out there naked without the whole neighborhood seeing.
1.gif

ETA: I burn really quickly so I''ll need to do something very gradual like 5 minutes in the sun followed by 5 minutes in the house repeated a few times a day.
I guess I better try it out this summer after all to make sure it works and I don''t get left with white streaks where I don''t tan as fast.

I should mention that I am rarely in the sun so this little bit each day shouldn''t be enough to cause any sort of health issues.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just didn't worry about it, actually. I knew I would have tan lines because I ride my scooter to work in the summer and play outdoor soccer 3-4 times a week. I was just not willing to radically alter my life for one day! In most of the pictures the tan lines didn't show too obviously...and in the professional ones they're not there at all!
9.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 12:52:19 PM
Author: TooPatient
FI has been told that I will be laying out on the deck fully naked next summer (might try it out first this summer to be sure it works okay).

Of course our deck is clearly visible from our neighbor''s house (and partially visible from about 6 other houses and the street)
40.gif

So FI is going to build me privacy screens so I can lay out there naked without the whole neighborhood seeing.
1.gif

ETA: I burn really quickly so I''ll need to do something very gradual like 5 minutes in the sun followed by 5 minutes in the house repeated a few times a day.

I guess I better try it out this summer after all to make sure it works and I don''t get left with white streaks where I don''t tan as fast.

I should mention that I am rarely in the sun so this little bit each day shouldn''t be enough to cause any sort of health issues.

Wow, that''s a little extreme TP!
3.gif
I get not wanting tan lines on top, but did your dress not come with a skirt?? How about just topless tanning?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2010 2:29:11 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Date: 5/12/2010 12:52:19 PM
Author: TooPatient

40.gif

1.gif

Wow, that''s a little extreme TP!
3.gif
I get not wanting tan lines on top, but did your dress not come with a skirt?? How about just topless tanning?
You never know how much skin will be showing on the HM
9.gif
11.gif

Gotta be prepared for anything! (since we both think this way, you should see what we pack for 2 nights away...
4.gif
)

No clue where we''ll go for HM yet. We''ve tossed around a few ideas (cruise through Alaska + hiking, a couple of weeks in Israel, a few days at a REALLY upscale/secluded tropical place...)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results