shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you handling bling deliveries?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With all the recent talk of how long the coronavirus can live on various surfaces, I’m curious whether PSers are taking any precautions when opening bling deliveries. What’s your routine in these strange times?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wipe the package with clorox wipes?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m thinking open with gloves, make sure everything’s there, then leave the lot in the garage for a couple days - toss gloves, wash knife/scissors?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

voce

Ideal_Rock
Wait 72 hours before opening the package.

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
I spray with Lysol, let it sit for a few hours. Then open the package, dump the contents out without touching with my hands and spray again, wash my hands and let sit for a couple of hours. Then do the same again if triple packaged.
If perishable, I use Chlorox wipes but those are scared so I use them wisely.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The results from the latest tests that I've read said the virus can live on cardboard for 24 hours, on plastic and steel for 72 hours, and there was some other surface that was 48 hours, but I can't remember what it was.

However, during that period, the microns break down and it's unlikely the virus is viable for transmission in the latter stages of those time periods. In other words - COVID-19 on cardboard doesn't go from tansmissive to non-transmissive at precisely 24 hours - it's less than that.

And in other, super-encouraging news - COVID-19 has to be ingested in certain ways - and through your alimentary canal isn't one of them. In other words, if your virus-carrying take-out server sneezes into your food, and you eat the food, you won't catch the virus. You may well do from him or her touching the packaging, then you touching the packaging, then touching your eyes, for example - but not from eating the food. Fascinating, really.

So all that to say, when we're opening packages, we can probably put the Lysol away for a rainier day.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We wash our hands right after handling the mail and packages and discard the boxes. We spray what we think is necessary. Our building staff who receive the deliveries before we do spray all the boxes with Lysol before letting us know we have packages downstairs.

The Viral load also matters so I think that in conjunction with the time the virus can survive and the numbers we might be exposed to on packages it is a fairly low chance to contract it this way.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I’m keeping it simple. Open package, discard box, wash hands.
Washing your hands, disinfecting frequently touched surfaces, don’t touch your face...still the best way to avoid catching something.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Washed my hands after opening any packages being delivered.

DK :))

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
I am getting a delivery tomorrow. I will be opening with great excitement and then washing my hands. :mrgreen2:
My usual plan of lying in wait for the postal worker and pouncing on them will have to wait due to social distancing! :lol-2: Will I be able to contain myself? :think:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am getting a delivery tomorrow. I will be opening with great excitement and then washing my hands. :mrgreen2:
My usual plan of lying in wait for the postal worker and pouncing on them will have to wait due to social distancing! :lol-2: Will I be able to contain myself? :think:

Hahahaha I think you will be able to and in any case Woohoo can’t wait for you to receive your beautiful blingy delivery. ❤️

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
:evil2: I will restrain myself!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are wiping everything down in the garage before we bring it in. We set up a 'clean table' for bring in groceries and everything else I spray a paper towel with Lysol and wipe it down. No bling but I am waiting for a Escale Neverfull coming from LV.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Some disinfectants require a surface to be wet for several minutes to be truly effective. Some are not effective against human Coronavirus at all. A quick wipe down is probably sufficient given the risk of transmission is sooooo low (i.e. the wiping is unnecessary to begin with) but for truly contaminated surfaces it may not be effective at all. Most Lysol products are in that category...the wipes are particularly ineffective as surface contact/wet time is 10 minutes. Everyone out clearing out shelves of wipes is mostly wasting time and money...I hope they are also following hand washing guidelines because that is what matters. If you are truly concerned about contact transmission the EPA has a list of disinfectants and the contact time required to be effective. You can also look up the products you have to see if they are on the list.

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some disinfectants require a surface to be wet for several minutes to be truly effective. Some are not effective against human Coronavirus at all. A quick wipe down is probably sufficient given the risk of transmission is sooooo low (i.e. the wiping is unnecessary to begin with) but for truly contaminated surfaces it may not be effective at all. Most Lysol products are in that category...the wipes are particularly ineffective as surface contact/wet time is 10 minutes. Everyone out clearing out shelves of wipes is mostly wasting time and money but probably feel better about it so it’s not a complete waste. I hope they are also following hand washing guidelines because that is what matters. If you are truly concerned about contact transmission the EPA has a list of disinfectants and the contact time required to be effective.

I found the link you posted interesting, but it only led me to more questions. If the active ingredient in some of the products the EPA found to work against COVID-19 to be something (e.g. hydrogen peroxide) wouldn't that by itself be likely to kill COVID-19?

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
According to a reference citing the CDC, Hydrogen peroxide kills rhinovirus (common cold) in 6-8 minutes. Rhinivirus is actually harder to kill so H2O2 should be effective against coronavirus in less time. Again, the surface would have to remain wet for the length of time required to be effective. Peroxide on a towel and used as a wipe probably not effective.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The results from the latest tests that I've read said the virus can live on cardboard for 24 hours, on plastic and steel for 72 hours, and there was some other surface that was 48 hours, but I can't remember what it was.

However, during that period, the microns break down and it's unlikely the virus is viable for transmission in the latter stages of those time periods. In other words - COVID-19 on cardboard doesn't go from tansmissive to non-transmissive at precisely 24 hours - it's less than that.

And in other, super-encouraging news - COVID-19 has to be ingested in certain ways - and through your alimentary canal isn't one of them. In other words, if your virus-carrying take-out server sneezes into your food, and you eat the food, you won't catch the virus. You may well do from him or her touching the packaging, then you touching the packaging, then touching your eyes, for example - but not from eating the food. Fascinating, really.

So all that to say, when we're opening packages, we can probably put the Lysol away for a rainier day.

As encouraging as this sounds -- and I really do like the studdies of the virus on cardboard and other surfaces -- the artcle says that if someone coughs on a surface and I touch it then touch my mouth then I can catch the virus.
Logically if I follow this argument, then I would conclude that if someone coughs on my food (say the surface of a hamburger bun for instance) and I touch this surface then I touch my mouth I can get coronavirus. However if I very carefully put gloves on, then take this hamburger bun and touch the infected surface directly to my lips I will be fine (provided I directly dispose of the gloves etc without touching my face). If I wish to build a straw man, then I can ask what happens if I directly start touching my lips to other surfaces people have coughed on (is this fine as well, or are hamburger buns a special classs of surfaces?).

While encouraging, I think perhaps it might(/is highly likely to) be a bit of a misquote.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found the link you posted interesting, but it only led me to more questions. If the active ingredient in some of the products the EPA found to work against COVID-19 to be something (e.g. hydrogen peroxide) wouldn't that by itself be likely to kill COVID-19?

Hi Deb here is what the experts say about hydrogen peroxide and Covid 19.

"
According to the CDC, household (3 percent) hydrogen peroxide is effective in deactivating rhinovirus, the virus that causes the common cold, within 6 to 8 minutes of exposure. Rhinovirus is more difficult to destroy than coronaviruses, so hydrogen peroxide should be able to break down the coronavirus in less time. Pour it undiluted into a spray bottle and spray it on the surface to be cleaned, but let it sit on the surface for at least 1 minute.

Hydrogen peroxide is not corrosive, so it’s okay to use it on metal surfaces."

Here are some links I found to be informative.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not ordering anything :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Open contents, put packing in plastic bag, tie bag, put in trash. Wash hands, wash item or wipe it down, wipe down surfaces package came in contact with and be done with it. This is the same thing I did before COVID.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results