shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you eating during the virus lockdown?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1CFA9470-31F4-43C2-90A6-6BB35574986F.jpeg

Pickled cucumber and shrimp stir fry tonight.

voce

Ideal_Rock
1CFA9470-31F4-43C2-90A6-6BB35574986F.jpeg

Pickled cucumber and shrimp stir fry tonight.

I've had fresh cucumber and shrimp stir fry before, but what kind of pickling is it?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Ive been such a little glutt lately amd feel so weighed down, slow, and energy drained so Im going on a two day water fast & after will reintroduce food slowly with salads and small portions of fruit.

I need this boost after such a food centered trip and last two weeks.
It always feels so refreshing to go on a small fast and stop feeling hungry. I feel as though it also resets my taste buds and the food I reintroduce tastes so much more delicious.

I hope everyone is doing ok during this odd faze in our world. I'm excited to see the little changes made in our paradigm when the cogs start turning again & I hope theyre all positive.
Love to everyone!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce
I made my own mix of rice vinegar, fish sauce, and a touch of sugar. Marinated it for an hour. So it’s a light pickle. I don’t really stir fry it but mix it last into the shrimp + sauce mixture.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@voce
I made my own mix of rice vinegar, fish sauce, and a touch of sugar. Marinated it for an hour. So it’s a light pickle. I don’t really stir fry it but mix it last into the shrimp + sauce mixture.

That sounds delicious. Ive never had a dish like this. Is it eaten cold?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a dish served hot @TheGarnetGirl but I don’t see why it can’t be a dish served cold either. I’m going to set aside a bit and eat it chilled tomorrow as an experiment!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Whyyyyyyy did I come to this thread & see your scrumptious looking cake while im fasting....whyyyyyy

Why did you come to this thread at all if you're fasting? :lol-2:

Thinking about cucumber/shrimp is thinking about food, and undermines your resolve to fast?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Why did you come to this thread at all if you're fasting? :lol-2:

Thinking about cucumber/shrimp is thinking about food, and undermines your resolve to fast?

Oh I have an iron will, so there will be no fast breaking. :evil2:

& without getting too innapropriate lets just say Im a masochist.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Made some cheese biscuits. These contain a stick of butter, Gouda, cheddar, and Parm, among a few other ingredients.
122ACE75-5A1C-43E0-A151-2EE7930C8C37.jpeg
11A170F9-B11D-4DD3-8247-3CEF4A390720.jpeg

these are an old favorite of ours......

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tonight im atempting toad in the hole
i know nothing about tradional uk fare - i don't even like triffle, my grandma used to make Yorkshire pudding but mum never did.
I got some pork sussages and i brought some Texas muffin pans and i reserved some bacon drippings, i brought some dujion mustard but i forgot the red onion

Im not making the onion gravy because English gravy always looks thin and unappealing
Wish me luck

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pics please @Daisys and Diamonds

I went through a phase where I was fascinated with toad in hole and toffee as a child.

And blancmange

Hehe too many British boarding school books

Had pork chops, pumpkin, kumera, spuds and most excitedly the first of our nz yams (oca) from the garden as Gary said Toad in the hole is lunch food ???????
Anyway i read its good to make the batter ahead
Wish me more luck for tomorrow ...
Sigh

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tonight im atempting toad in the hole
i know nothing about tradional uk fare - i don't even like triffle, my grandma used to make Yorkshire pudding but mum never did.
I got some pork sussages and i brought some Texas muffin pans and i reserved some bacon drippings, i brought some dujion mustard but i forgot the red onion

Im not making the onion gravy because English gravy always looks thin and unappealing
Wish me luck

It’s verging on illegal to eat toad in the hole without onion gravy - you should definitely make it! But don’t make it thin - it should be thick enough that you can almost feel it coating the insides of your arteries as it’s digested. Good, stodgy winter grub!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6888BA06-E06B-48C4-B1D5-70D60526B9A8.jpeg

Nappa with glass noodles in spicy Szechuan sauce. Mushroom thrown in for some umami since this is vegetarian.

@TheGarnetGirl The pickled cucumber dish will need to be modified if you want it served cold. The shrimp was a bit odd. Maybe it I sliced it smaller.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
82CF6702-59B1-4BE8-8A71-A02DCF4C44E1.jpeg

This is what it should look like @Daisys and Diamonds , remember the secret is to make sure the fat is smoking hot before putting in the batter, so it seals it and will then rise.
thank you, i will keep this in mind as it seems to be very important
Gary (who was born in Birmingham) is being difficult
Many years ago his mum warned me of this - fussiness around food

I must confess to loving those little Yorkshire puddings that come in the red plastic bag in the frozen section of the supermarket actually made in Yorkshire but Gary has never been keen

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A comedy of errors
Gary had a big moan and complain so i had to cook up some of his preferred precooked sussaages he likes
you know i worked in this village with a butcher shop that won all kinds of awards for their sussages and Gary complained about every single one

so i found some left over mash for him
I get my susaages into the pan with a blob of bacon fat in each muffin pan
i had to buy this mugfin tray because Gary won't eat mimi muffins

So all is looking good.
I have the element on for the muffin tray with the half cooked sussages, ive got his sussages in then one of his fell into the oven, i burnt my hand getting it out, he's insiating he wants curry gravy which i hate
I get the mix into the hot bubbling tray
im bending over putting the muffim tray back in the oven full of mix
Borris sticks her claws into my butt ???
And is moewing to go outside - that's a complete new one - claws in my butt

anyway i have never in my life eatten 4 normal sized sussages at once but my the time i muched around making his curry gravy and getting all his other culinary demands met i had no time to think about sides for myself

However i thought the actual yorkshire pud was good
id make it again with out the sussages and maybe in the mini muffin tray !
im.not sure why my two sussagesless ones are so round - but they did not get the bacon grease ???

Anyway Gary just said despite not enough potatoes and lumpy gravy his was nice
20200705_183804.jpg 20200705_182018.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds it's fascinating what makes a fussy eater.

I had a nightmare baby. Hated breast milk, hated formula. When he started solids, if he didn't like something he would throw it up (and he didn't like a lot of things).

The first year of his life I cried about his consumption of milk/food every day.

For three years I sat him on my lap during every meal and offered everything under the sun to him.

After three he simply turned a corner and was like a different child. Ate anything and everything. I cook things that were past their prime and he'd polish it off to help me clean my fridge.

He picks out the best cherries/berries for me because according to him "You are a difficult woman when it comes to fruit and I can't really tell the difference"

So it's always fascinated me what makes a fussy eater. Mine was certainly born like that but I have no idea why he changed. He's got his preferences but is one of the easiest kids to feed. Eats a wide range of food including vegetables (will chopstick battle me for sauteed green beans). Will try anything and if he doesn't like it will try it again every few months to give himself another chance including things I don't want him to try because I don't want to share :lol:.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds it's fascinating what makes a fussy eater.

I had a nightmare baby. Hated breast milk, hated formula. When he started solids, if he didn't like something he would throw it up (and he didn't like a lot of things).

The first year of his life I cried about his consumption of milk/food every day.

For three years I sat him on my lap during every meal and offered everything under the sun to him.

After three he simply turned a corner and was like a different child. Ate anything and everything. I cook things that were past their prime and he'd polish it off to help me clean my fridge.

He picks out the best cherries/berries for me because according to him "You are a difficult woman when it comes to fruit and I can't really tell the difference"

So it's always fascinated me what makes a fussy eater. Mine was certainly born like that but I have no idea why he changed. He's got his preferences but is one of the easiest kids to feed. Eats a wide range of food including vegetables (will chopstick battle me for sauteed green beans). Will try anything and if he doesn't like it will try it again every few months to give himself another chance including things I don't want him to try because I don't want to share :lol:.

Your perseverance paid off

Gary is 68 so he grew up in that time before microwaves when vegetables were boiled to oblivion but i know his mum cooked tasty meals
he used to like her meatloaf in sandwiches the next day
when he started work as a 16 year old apprentice someone made fun of the smell and he wouldn't take it for lunch again
of course now he would have just told that person to F off !
His mum told me once when he was a teenager he was so bad complaining about food she once stood on his feet so she could reach to slap him !
But he loves food and he enjoys modern and ethnic flavours when we are out but will not try new things at home and he wont eat hardly any fruit
I now make appleslaw to get apples into him on a regular basis

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hamburger was delicious! Grilled in cherry wood. Grilled corn then baked beans like Grandma taught me.

I bought a crepe maker. Need to practice more, but they taste great even if they aren't pretty yet. Made blintzes yesterday using fresh crepes.

The tart and macarons were made by a friend who owns her own baking business.

Smoked carrots, purple potatoes, onions, and NY strip roast. Amazing and very few dishes!

IMG_20200704_212732953.jpg IMG_20200704_142344869.jpg IMG_20200704_123042711.jpg IMG_20200703_224949466.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results