shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you eating during the virus lockdown?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read an article yesterday that said sales of alcohol were up 42%. So are sales of condoms, so swings and roundabouts, I guess...

But the alcohol article made me wonder how people were eating at the moment. I've been seeing a BUNCH of comments online about people eating their way through this time of isolation, and I wondered how everyone was coping.

Have you gained weight?
Have you lost weight?
Are you pickling everything in sight?
Cooking like a fiend?
Working out?
Spending long days in bed?
Is now the time to go vegan/keto/carnivore/vegetarian/paleo?

Share how you're coping regarding food during what is surely one of our strangest times in living memory!

Coronavirus coping.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I adore that you asked a food question!!!!!

I've lost weight because I'm super picky so I'm only eating things I want to eat. Usually I'll be able to go to a restaurant and pick through my cravings but now it's only what's available so some days if I don't like what's on offer, I can't eat it.

That said I'm eating rather well as I tend to cook what I like.

I'm still going for walks and getting my 10000 steps a day. Previously it was 15000 but hey we're in a pandemic and I've got to home school so a girl can only do so much.

Speaking of fussy I ordered myself a pandan plant because I can no longer go galavanting around for fresh pandan so I decided I'm going to grow that damn leaf myself to make pandan waffles and chiffon cakes.

Food is life for me and I'm not an Armageddon food type of girl. I mean what is the point??? I've told the boys if it's actual Armageddon I'm peacing out cuz I ain't eating beans and tree roots. Or tinned tuna.

Some food pics of virus food (posted in another thread already):

IMG_20200325_205317.jpg
IMG_20200323_205638.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've lost weight because I'm super picky so I'm only eating things I want to eat. Usually I'll be able to go to a restaurant and pick through my cravings but now it's only what's available so some days if I don't like what's on offer, I can't eat it.

I'm still going for walks and getting my 10000 steps a day. Previously it was 15000 but hey we're in a pandemic and I've got to home school so a girl can only do so much.

Speaking of fussy I ordered myself a pandan plant because I can no longer go galavanting around for fresh pandan so I decided I'm going to grow that damn leaf myself to make pandan waffles and chiffon cakes.

IMG_20200325_205317.jpg
IMG_20200323_205638.jpg

Looks so yummy ❤️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far we’re eating similarly to pre Covid 19. I fully expect that to change. The only addition for me is chocolate and I wouldn’t be surprised if I gained weight.

I am trying to build muscle with free weights but that’s for a different reason. I am seeing more muscle definition in my arms even with the baby weights I’m using lol.

I’m doing my elliptical daily for same amount of time as pre Covid 19. Not walking as much because I self quarantined for 7 days due to not feeling well. I’m feeling well now thankfully so hope to get in some walking again.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve lost weight. My appetite hasn’t been the same. I eat but not regularly and usually just once a day. When I’m at work I might get food twice (12 hours shifts) but just pick thru it.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I'm losing weight. For some reason, my appetite has been lesser in the morning, and we used to eat out 2-3 times per week. Other than that, it's about the same except that we're eating a lot more red meat and pork. Chicken has been hard to come by. We're also going through more eggs as I've been baking more, and my husband is home for breakfast and eats it here instead of at his work's cafeteria.

I've ordered a book, it's called "100-day Pantry: 100 Quick and Easy Gourmet Meals by Jan Jackson." It's supposed to give you ideas of how to cook more food that's canned, shelf stable, etc. I'll see if we like it when it arrives!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have kind of gone back and forth. On my husband's last trip to Costco a week and a half or so, I had him buy some Palmiers for the sons. What a lie. I ate so many of them myself. I haven't eaten sugar in about 2 years but boy did I go big when I did. As of this morning, I had a gained 1 pound.

I have also been a little depressed like many people I suspect. I have enough fabric and projects to last many years but I cant seem to get myself into my sewing room.

For the most part, I see eat very low carb. We make deviled eggs so there is always that. I do have a freezer full of meat, so every morning we decide what protein we want to eat. My sons eat a lot of eggs and burritos. The other day they asked me to make some cookie dough for them. When they were in school I used to keep a large container of cookie dough in the fridge and I made a fresh batch every morning for their lunches. So I guess we all need some comfort foods.
I am now out of flour so they will have to make that last.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing much has changed, food and diet wise to be honest.

I am eating out of the freezer as much as I can, to reduce the amount of home-cooked food, so that I could replenish with fresh ones.

The kind of food I make in bulk are more suited for the colder months, and I shall switch to lighter food such as salads after Easter.

However, I shall be cooking things like lardons, Chorizo pieces, meatballs, duck confit chunks etc. in bulk before freezing in individual portions, so that I could reheat in the microwave to add to salads, as I like eating warm salads with bits of cooked meats.

Hence I need the freezer space.

I have an exercise machine at home, a Maxi-Glider 360 that I like to use as it is less boring than just a stationary exercise bike. I use it in conjunction with walking the dog even before the lockdown.

I am drinking less alcohol for certain, as I do not like drinking on my own at home unless I am having a full meal, usually at weekends.

I am hoping I could continue to lose weight by eating less and exercising more, for my own health benefits due to being a Type 2 Diabetic. So far I have lost 14lb/a stone in weight since my confirmed diagnosis in June 2019. It has taken this long to lose the weight as I love food and drinks, in case it is not already apparent in what I have posted by now.

My next goal is to lose another 7lb, then I would be very happy if I can achieve this loss, and shall have a nice piece of bling as an incentive. Not easy, as I have already made as much food and drink adjustments that I could without depriving myself!

Given the choice, I would opt for savoury rather than sweet snacks. However, I am well-stocked on caramel waffles and mini Creme Eggs at present, just a small amount a day, so I am happy.

Stay safe!

DK :))

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m gaining because I’m stressed and pregnant and eating 5x a day with my toddler instead of the 3x a day when she was at daycare lol...

Omg @mellowyellowgirl May I have the prawn and noodle recipe? Are you a chef? These foods look amazing!!!!!

Food is life for me and I'm not an Armageddon food type of girl. I mean what is the point??? I've told the boys if it's actual Armageddon I'm peacing out cuz I ain't eating beans and tree roots. Or tinned tuna.

IMG_20200321_235212.jpg
IMG_20200329_230010.jpg
IMG_20200330_182504.jpg
IMG_20200331_142756.jpg
IMG_20200330_224901.jpg
IMG_20200325_205317.jpg
IMG_20200323_205638.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m gaining because I’m stressed and pregnant and eating 5x a day with my toddler instead of the 3x a day when she was at daycare lol...

Omg @mellowyellowgirl May I have the prawn and noodle recipe? Are you a chef? These foods look amazing!!!!!

It's actually a banana blossom and cucumber salad with prawns! We grow bananas so I try and use the blossoms.

But I'm sure you can use whatever veggies and noodles you like. Just add plenty of fresh herbs and use this dressing. This is the recipe for the dressing that I use:

Not a chef but looooove food and incredibly food motivated!!! I live to eat and I love cooking!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I just add a photo, pls? I *just* got off the phone with my gastro after a really horrible ulcerative colitis flare and a trip to hospital last week, during which a bunch of blood tests were taken which were pretty worrying (checked me out for liver cancer post endometrial cancer last year and a 'probably Lynch Syndrome' diagnosis this year). Apparently all the worrying blood readings were due to infection and inflammation, which, while horrible, just aren't in the same league as liver cancer.

So while I was getting all that good news, I snapped a photo from Zoom while we were chatting. I am SO RELIEVED!

And also - I'm doing keto and have been continuing it during this lockdown. It normally agrees with me - a lot - but it's such a simple diet, cooking is largely off the table (so to speak) as an activity. So I'm not gaining weight, but I'm pretty damn bored....

Facetune_02-04-2020-08-05-44.jpg

ETA I can't drink on keto, but I would LOVE a large glass of celebratory wine right about now!

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've lost weight but mostly due to stress. My job which I love, went from 100 to 10000 in a few days. and so I work some really messed up hours. Still, I make time to get out and get some sunlight, thats really important these days. In the food area, not much has changed an we eat much the same though less fresh vegetables are coming in the house.

I have lots of booze/wine here, I'm just not drinking it. (not taste for it at all)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1585841594578.png

'Nuff said...

Q

Queenie60

We're eating about the same, healthy. I find that there are plenty of fruits and vegetables at the local supermarket. However, I decided this morning that my wine intake was a bit more than I am used to so I decided to stop having wine during the week days. I'm a foodie, love to cook but have never been tempted to eat everything I make. But I do love my glass of red wine while preparing the food! Great thread @mrs-b

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b do you suffer greatly if you were to drink and go off your keto?

Let me be the devil and say that if doesn't cause you physical pain...... Just go for it!!!!!!

Of course this is coming from a girl who is allergic/intolerant to bean thread noodle (usually throw up and need to lie down after I eat it) but continues to eat it until her body gave up and decided to tolerate bean thread noodle.

Hehe people used to be so alarmed when I'd tell them "if I get really sick don't worry. I'm allergic but I'll recover" before tucking into a giant serve.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am still doing my Intermittent Fasting (two 36-hour fasting periods a week) which has been working out very well for me. For Lent, I gave up sweets and desserts and while challenging I've kept that commitment too (with one small hiccup). Our meals are fairly healthy and nutritious, mostly home-made but occasionally take-out pizza or frozen Stouffer's Mac & Cheese. I haven't been tempted by the cookies that have been in the house for my DH and my mom to enjoy. That said, we already had purchased Easter goodies to make individual little baskets, and I keep changing my mind about what to bake for Easter dessert!

eta: it is possible one day a home-made Apple Raisin Galette was more (in)correctly termed a "fruit casserole" so I could partake a slice at lunch ... truly, it tasted very/too sugary for me, but my mom and I enjoyed baking it together and eating it warm ... small joys are so important, always, but now more than ever.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're eating about the same, healthy. I find that there are plenty of fruits and vegetables at the local supermarket. However, I decided this morning that my wine intake was a bit more than I am used to so I decided to stop having wine during the week days. I'm a foodie, love to cook but have never been tempted to eat everything I make. But I do love my glass of red wine while preparing the food! Great thread @mrs-b

YES!! Drinking while cooking! Love it! Miss it.... :(

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frankly, I was afraid to check. I thought it would definitely be up. My scale says down a few lbs. But I get weighed formally and in public, with my weight said out loud to a bunch of people again on April 20th. Haha. So then we'll see the truth with the accurate hospital scale.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's actually a banana blossom and cucumber salad with prawns! We grow bananas so I try and use the blossoms.

But I'm sure you can use whatever veggies and noodles you like. Just add plenty of fresh herbs and use this dressing. This is the recipe for the dressing that I use:

Not a chef but looooove food and incredibly food motivated!!! I live to eat and I love cooking!

Thank you!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I just add a photo, pls? I *just* got off the phone with my gastro after a really horrible ulcerative colitis flare and a trip to hospital last week, during which a bunch of blood tests were taken which were pretty worrying (checked me out for liver cancer post endometrial cancer last year and a 'probably Lynch Syndrome' diagnosis this year). Apparently all the worrying blood readings were due to infection and inflammation, which, while horrible, just aren't in the same league as liver cancer.

So while I was getting all that good news, I snapped a photo from Zoom while we were chatting. I am SO RELIEVED!

And also - I'm doing keto and have been continuing it during this lockdown. It normally agrees with me - a lot - but it's such a simple diet, cooking is largely off the table (so to speak) as an activity. So I'm not gaining weight, but I'm pretty damn bored....

Facetune_02-04-2020-08-05-44.jpg

ETA I can't drink on keto, but I would LOVE a large glass of celebratory wine right about now!

Omg you are just as beautiful on the outside as the inside! One classy lady! You should know that the well-thought-out aspect of your collection is my goal! Working towards that. Like bling zen lol.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS congrats on the good news!!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not getting on the scale :snooty:

I'm a stress eater, not necessarily eating terribly (no fast food etc) but I'm eating whatever I feel like in the moment. Chocolate is definitely on the menu!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b Thank you for the good news. You are glowing!

_

IDK for meet much, but the local game & ham have me; cooking game certainly entertains me for a couple of days at a time; I used to go to town for a properly cut platter of jamon [my skills are miserable - I'd need a sword], but there might be one on its way to my cellar now [fingers crossed for delivery.]

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS congrats on the good news!!!

Thank you so much, @pearaffair. :wavey: I'm turning 60 this June, so I'm at an age where a lot of the things I have can start to turn ugly, so good blood results are like a centerpiece in my ability to be happy. Bad bloods can knock me off my perch like nothing else, so today's conversation was a blessing. :))

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’d asked me at the beginning of last week, I’d say we were eating less, simply because we couldn’t get any food, so were being careful with what we had. We would normally have had a full freezer and stocked cupboards, but we were due to be away (St Lucia & Barbados) so had been running everything down for the previous 4 weeks.

I stayed up all last Monday night trying to get a click and collect slot at any of the 5 supermarkets near us, and within a 20 mile radius. Absolutely nothing.

A friend told me about a local green grocer who delivers, so I was able to order a big box of fruit and vegetables, and then miraculously, a slot appeared at a supermarket I’d registered with before Christmas but hadn’t yet used. They delivered most of what we ordered, and I found a butcher in Scotland (the other end of the country to where I live), and ordered a lot of meat from them, which arrived yesterday.

We have fantastic neighbours who’ve offered to shop for us, but both have young families, and we’ve been reluctant to ask them for more than the odd carton of milk. This morning, one rang to ask if we needed eggs, something we haven’t been able to get, so he got us 12, which is fantastic.

I’m feeling considerably less stressed now we’ve sourced food and been able to get a couple of deliveries, so my appetite is back. I can see we’ll be putting on weight as we haven’t been going out at all, but are trying to exercise at home, but it’s not the same.

Congratulations on the good news @mrs-b

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I like to cook but we’ve gotten in the habit of eating out over the last few years. My people are not as adventurous with food as I am so eating out offers me options/variety that seem lacking when we cook at home.
That said, we are still ordering out some but definitely cooking at home more. The other night I made a pork tenderloin with the sous-vide and fondant potatoes. It was yummy!! DH only ate the pork.
My problem being home more is that I am a muncher/grazer. it’s an easy trick but works for me (mostly)...out of sight out of mind. If we leave the snacks out I will eat them, lol.
I like to bake so that doesn’t help. I also tend to eat when I’m bored or stressed. The odds are greatly against me now, lol. So I did get on the scale and was happy to see it was the same. But I’ll still hide the snacks from myself. I’m trying to keep busy as well.
I’ve opened only one bottle of wine...that actually surprises me a little...I thought I would be drinking more.

Chocolate is definitely on the menu!
Yes! but that is every day even when there isn’t a pandemic. :lol:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I refuse to gain weight during this, so we are a no sugar household right now. Coronavirus likes diabetes patients a lot it seems (I seriously don’t mean to sound flip there) and so I made it up and extrapolated that it might also like sugar and insulin.

I’ve lost two pounds so far and my son (not all of us are weighing in) has lost 1 pound.

Every 2 weeks, I let my daughter make Brownies or something so we don’t feel deprived etc.

But I absolutely will not gain weight during this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results