shape
carat
color
clarity

How are these dimaonds priced? Need help to pick up engagement diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mra

Rough_Rock
I''m working with a local reputable dealer (100+ positive reviews across websites) and they procured 2 diamonds for me and I was wondering are the prices reasonable? Both are GIA

1.) The first diamond is a 2.11ct/F/SI1/ EXC/EXC/EXC/None
The dealer says that he has seen this one in person and its BEAUTIFUL, but using the Holloway diamond cut analysis it comes out with a 3.6..which isnt that great.

Price: $23,000
Depth: 60.8
Table: 56
Crown: 31.5
Pavilion: 41.8
Girdle: medium to slightly thick

2.) They dont'' have this one but its in transit to them from their supplier.
It is 2.28ct/G/SI1/ Exc/Exc/Exc/None

Price: $24,000
Depth: 61.6
Table: 56
Crown: 34
Pavilion: 41
Girldle: thin to medium

Image0032.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi mra,

I would be most interested in the second diamond, the first scores the way it does on the HCA because of the steep pavilion angle, because you have another contender with proportions in a '' safer'' area then I would be most inclined to pursue that one. As to pricing, are they brick and mortar jewellers or online vendors? Typically store jeweller prices can be higher than online, but you can use the Pricescope your Diamond tool above to get a feel for prices of similar online, bearing in mind that a store price is usually more.

mra

Rough_Rock
its a brick and mortar store in LA Jewelry district.

The online reviews say their prices are very competitive with online vendors such as bluenile etc.

I checked pricescope and the avg price per ct was more in the range of $8000 whereas the 2nd one was over $10k.

But then there is the issue of other diamonds being EGL..or not exc/exc/exc..so it skews it

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2009 3:00:54 PM
Author: mra
its a brick and mortar store in LA Jewelry district.

The online reviews say their prices are very competitive with online vendors such as bluenile etc.

I checked pricescope and the avg price per ct was more in the range of $8000 whereas the 2nd one was over $10k.

But then there is the issue of other diamonds being EGL..or not exc/exc/exc..so it skews it
You can select GIA graded diamonds only on the search which will narrow things down a bit, really the best you can do is get a ball park figure but as this is a considerable amount to spend. I had a look on the search tool and the prices of similar vary between 20 - 26k, for a diamonds between 2.27 and 2.29 cts, G SI1 for online, so that gives an idea. What you could do is to ensure the seller has a return policy and get an independant appraiser to check the diamond you choose and he or she will be able to give you an opinion on pricing too. Here is an appraisal tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

mra

Rough_Rock
thanks, can i get it appraised even when its on the ring? or only when it is loose

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2009 3:11:34 PM
Author: mra
thanks, can i get it appraised even when its on the ring? or only when it is loose
Apparently it is preferable to have the loose diamond appraised, but it can be done mounted also.

And you are most welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results