shape
carat
color
clarity

How and where can I get a credit card?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
I am frustrated with the credit card application.

Both DH and I have applied for credit cards from our bank. We both got rejected because we have no credit history in USA. We just moved here from Canada few months ago. We really need to build up our credit history in order for us to get a mortgage from the bank later this year. Does anyone know where, and if any company that is willing to issue a credit card to someone who has no credit history?

Many thanks.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Don''t apply for one from your bank - they are just trying to cover their butts in case you make huge bills and bail. The big CC companies like Mastercard, Discover, and Visa will give you a card without any prior credit history with no problem. I recommend Mastercard. No weird fees and their payments stay pretty low.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Credit has gotten very hard to come by with the American economy the way it is. Credit unions can be a little more lenient with credit requirements so you may want to try one of those. You also might want to try a secured credit card. Many unsecure after about a year of use. Here''s an thread from Creditboards.com regarding secured cards: http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180686

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
try capitalone they are the easiest to get but they are a pita to work with also.
www.capitalone.com

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if it''s 100% helpful, but a department store card would help a tiny bit just to build some of a US credit history.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
ok... in the last 30 mins I looked up three credit card companies and all rejected me. America Express gave me a right away rejection. I took a Visa product survey which has "limited or no credit history" as a option.. and after I clicked that they told me they were unable to issue a credit card to anyone who got no credit history. Master Card asked me on the application about my credit history. I have not tried captial one yet... but I am afraid the rejections would show up on my credit history.. How ironic!

I think the only other option I have is.. Macy''s card... Do they ask for credit history too?

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Sarah, Now that I think about it... I don''t really know what is a department store card. I''ve never had one before. I always refused to sign up for one when I was asked.

Every time I shop at Macy''s the cashier would ask me if I had a Macy''s card. Is this Macy''s card a credit card issued by Macy? or just some cards that you can only used in Macy''s?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
more than likely they rejected you based on your answers and didn't even run a check...
Try capitalone it is your best shot.
discover card would be the next one to try but if capitalone rejects they likely will also and you will need to look into a secured card.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
I ran in to the exact same situation for the exact same reason. I finally got the Citibank Gold Visa. No annual fee, specifically for people with no credit history.

Hmm, I''m looking at the website now, and I don''t see that option anymore. It seems like they discontinued it.
There is this, but it''s $30 a year annual fee...

I heard Credit Union gives credit cards to anyone. You should check that out too.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Heraanderson, Storm, and Choro72 for suggesting the secured credit card. I think that's the way we will take to build up our credit score. It is the first time I heard about the secured credit card. Hopefully we can get them. I just don't know why my bank issued debit/credit visa card doesn't count to help build our credit score.

Choro, how long does it take you to build the credit score using the Citibank credit card (I assume it is a secured credit card that you have to pay a deposit first?).

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
No, mine is a credit card. I was very lucky in that I applied for it before the economy meltdown.

I heard that it generally takes up to a year to build a decent credit history. That will be in a few months for me, so after the economy creeps back again, I''m going to reapply for a rewards card.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hi, there. If you go to a mortgage company that still does manual underwriting and you have a decent down-payment (10%-20%) of the purchase price, plus some cash reserves for emergencies, and you have a steady work history as well as history of paying rent on time, you should be able to get a mortgage. You would be in better shape than someone who has lots of debt. You just have to do your research on those mortgage companies that actually do this research instead of only going on the FICO scores.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I second the idea of the department store card to establish some credit. Also, when I was starting out, I got a cell phone in my name, and that can help to establish credit also.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second Capital One.

I am pretty sure department/store CC will not give you one w/o a credit history. At least that was how it was from I used to work at Express 10 or so years ago.

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
When I went to get my first credit card, I got it through my bank. Try asking them to secure it using your savings account... that''s the only way I was approved. They rejected me at first too, but if it''s secured or tied to your account, they know they''ll get your $.

Good luck!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Just a thought...I wonder if you could apply for a card for folks with bad credit...I''m not sure how BAD credit versus NO credit rates in comparison with each other with credit cards...but if they''re willing to take a chance on someone with a bad history I would think they would rather take risk for someone who has not yet proven they won''t pay...make sense?..or am I thinking about this the wrong way.

These sites have many options. I wish you luck!

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/rate/cc_home.asp

http://www.creditcardsearchengine.com/

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Capital One is easy to get but it will not help a credit profile because they do not report credit limits, just so you know.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Hi lovegem FI and I are having the same problem, we just moved from Ireland. We got a credit card with Bank of America, but we had to do it on a kind of secured loan thing. That is building up our credit history. Also buy something like a stereo or something relatively inexpensive on credit, that will help build it up too!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 2:36:15 PM
Author: heraanderson
Capital One is easy to get but it will not help a credit profile because they do not report credit limits, just so you know.
my credit limit for my capital one card is on my #%%%@@ report.
Along with some stuff that is back again from the identity theft grrrrrrrrr

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 2:45:52 PM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 2/8/2009 2:36:15 PM

Author: heraanderson

my credit limit for my capital one card is on my #%%%@@ report.

Along with some stuff that is back again from the identity theft grrrrrrrrr
Then you're the exception because they usually don't report card limits. Usually they just put whatever was your highest balance was. So if you've charged $200 and it's the most you've ever charged on the card and you have a card limit of $500, then it will show your limit as $200.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
At this point, you need to stop applying for credit cards...when you run your credit over and over that actually goes against your score. You are better off not applying for anything right now--or for the next six months--and then try again with something small like a gas station credit card.

Rule one when establishing credit, don''t over apply.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 3:09:59 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
At this point, you need to stop applying for credit cards...when you run your credit over and over that actually goes against your score. You are better off not applying for anything right now--or for the next six months--and then try again with something small like a gas station credit card.

Rule one when establishing credit, don't over apply.
Yes and no... I think they have a slightly more sophisticated method of taking into account credit checks. The worst is late/missed payments followed by unsecured credit applications because that looks like someone nearing bankruptcy. They have carved out exceptions for people with multiple applications all for one type of credit in a short time - ie. many home loan applications - cause that looks like someone shopping for a mortgage.

So the OP might be accumulating little dings to her credit score by these applications, but I don't think that doing nothing and then trying again in 6 mo is going to fix the problem. A secured card or capital one card with a low limit will put the OP in a much better position in 6 mo than just letting her account "rest" - then she'll just be back where she started when she made her first application in the States. She should also look at store accounts - not just ones that function like credit cards but ones that are just a debt to the store. If she can manage to talk to someone with actual authority, she could try going in with the cash to make a purchase, but requesting credit for the purpose of establishing credit and seeing if that gets her somewhere. Though your average floor person from a national chain (such as the PP who worked at Express) is not going to have that authority.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 3:28:48 PM
Author: cara

Date: 2/8/2009 3:09:59 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Rule one when establishing credit, don''t over apply.
Yes and no... I think they have a slightly more sophisticated method of taking into account credit checks. The worst is late/missed payments followed by unsecured credit applications because that looks like someone nearing bankruptcy. They have carved out exceptions for people with multiple applications all for one type of credit in a short time - ie. many home loan applications - cause that looks like someone shopping for a mortgage.

So the OP might be accumulating little dings to her credit score by these applications, but I don''t think that doing nothing and then trying again in 6 mo is going to fix the problem. A secured card or capital one card with a low limit will put the OP in a much better position in 6 mo than just letting her account ''rest'' - then she''ll just be back where she started when she made her first application in the States. She should also look at store accounts - not just ones that function like credit cards but ones that are just a debt to the store. If she can manage to talk to someone with actual authority, she could try going in with the cash to make a purchase, but requesting credit for the purpose of establishing credit and seeing if that gets her somewhere. Though your average floor person from a national chain (such as the PP who worked at Express) is not going to have that authority.
My husband works in corp security for one of the largest banks in the US...dealing with, for the most, people attempting to "borrow" money in form of credit. Now, he works with ammounts upwards of a 10 million dollars, but, it''s just different levels...when you''re applying for a loan (which is what credit is) companys want to know who you owe, how much, and for how long...if you''ve been denied over and over banks take that to heart when deciding to loan you money. If you''ve been denied by big companies such as visa, mastercard, and discovered that does hurt you.

Now, all credit cards (even Capital One) are backed by banks, usually smaller banks...and with the current state of smaller banks aren''t taking the risks they once did. Larger banks, such as Chase or BoA, have their own credit departments and they aren''t as forgiving as they once were when it comes to loaning money.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 3:41:34 AM
Author: strmrdr
more than likely they rejected you based on your answers and didn''t even run a check...
Try capitalone it is your best shot.
discover card would be the next one to try but if capitalone rejects they likely will also and you will need to look into a secured card.
CAPITAL ONE will even do a prepaid credit card to get people started. I don''t like them very much, but they are definately a starter card. I like Discover better, but they can be a little picker than Capital One. I recommend this to start... but not to stay with.

Best wishes!
35.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
Italia - do you think that just waiting 6 mo with no more applications will be sufficient? I agree that multiple rejected applications will not help at this point, I just don''t think that merely waiting some time will be sufficient unless the OP gets *some* form of meager credit on her record over that time. If she just waits, the dings from her recent applications get older (good) but she still doesn''t have any credit history.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 3:46:02 PM
Author: cara
Italia - do you think that just waiting 6 mo with no more applications will be sufficient? I agree that multiple rejected applications will not help at this point, I just don''t think that merely waiting some time will be sufficient unless the OP gets *some* form of meager credit on her record over that time. If she just waits, the dings from her recent applications get older (good) but she still doesn''t have any credit history.
From what my husband told me, applications fall off a credit report after 6 months time. So, if she can wait, she could get a really good plan of attack together and in 6 months time start all over.

If it were me, I would wait 6 months. Once you''ve applied for credit, you can get pre-approved for various starter cards (usually Capital One). If the OP finds herself getting pre-approved, take advantage of that. However, if nothing come through within 6 months...start by applying to either a gas station or department store ... something that reports to your credit score. Once you establish 4-6 months of solid history, apply to one of the big 3 (not American Express..they are the hardest cards to get). Apply generically and see what you get *offered*.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would apply to capitalone the odds are very high that they will offer a card of some kind which is better than no credit and waiting 6 months.
If they deny it is one more listed for 6 months is not going to be any worse off than now with the others listed...

I just checked my credit report and the limit is listed on the 2 I can access online.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Great news! Capital One approved my credit card application. I have to pay a $30 annual fee, but it is all worth it. Thank you so very much nice PS people.

I will apply one for my DH tonight.

You are the best!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 6:02:35 PM
Author: lovegem
Great news! Capital One approved my credit card application. I have to pay a $30 annual fee, but it is all worth it. Thank you so very much nice PS people.

I will apply one for my DH tonight.

You are the best!

Great news! They were my first CC so I figured they would!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
lovegem - You''re going to get a lot of VERY different advice on a subject such as this. Everyone deals with this sort of thing differently.

But you need to be careful just applying for one after another. Do some research for which are the best cards for people with no credit history. My FI is older than me and had a lot of experience with how to deal with credit and how to be careful with it. His favorite site was http://www.creditcards.com/ - we went on there when I was starting to build my credit. We searched under the "Little or No Credit History" field on the left. I chose the Capital One Standard Platinum Mastercard, applied, and was approved. I like it b/c it''s basic and has no annual fee - definitely something you''ll want to look for unless you''re ok with paying a fee every year.

As mentioned above, Capital One''s a pretty good one to start out with. But they are a pain to deal with, and they won''t give you a limit increase. At least, they haven''t for the time I''ve had it (other cards already have).

I used that for a while and paid it off to build a little credit. After about a year, I applied for a Blue card from American Express. FYI American Express is pretty darn hard to get. It''s not one you want to try for first. The Blue is easier than a typical Amex I think, but I don''t know that much about the extent of their cards. FI used to have the standard Amex, that you have to pay off the ENTIRE balance on every month, even if it''s $5, or $5,000. The Blue doesn''t work like that - you pay it off like a normal card.

The last card I got was a Chase Visa. Chase is an awesome company to work with. Now I''ve got a good range of cards, and I don''t plan to get any other cards.

I don''t think department store cards (Macy''s, Belk, etc) or even gas station cards are necessary. I guess if you wanted to you could get a gas card. It just makes more sense to me to have a card you can put anything on.

Lastly, different people use different things, but I use Equifax.com and pay $9.95 a month for Score Watch - you get 2 free Credit Reports with that. I only viewed one when I started it, so as long as I pay attention to what you do that involves credit after that, I can get updates any time my credit score changes through them. I still have another report left to view when I want. But I really like it because it shows me how putting larger balances or applying for a new card affects my credit score. And I know what I have if I ever apply for anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results