shape
carat
color
clarity

How (and how often) do you clean your studs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I was the lucky recipient of some lovely .5 ctw studs as a wedding gift from my now-DH, and after two weeks on the honeymoon of cleaning them with shampoo while they were in my ears, I am ready to figure out a better cleaning routine.

My studs are screwbacks (good because I lose earrings like it''s my job), and I''m not really prepared to be taking them out of my ears and screwing them back in every day, but I am pretty obsessive about keeping my diamonds sparkly. I clean my rings daily and feel lost without my cleaning solution. I clean my pendant after about 4-5 days of wear.

So, screwback stud owners . . . any suggestions for me? Should I take them out of my ears and put them in cleaner or in the ultrasonic? Should I try to somehow clean them while they''re in my ears? How often do you clean yours?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine get dirty so fast, I''ve become a bad PSer and don''t clean them that often. Only when I''m going somewhere nice and want them to sparkle!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Personally I encourage my studs to show up on the doorstep already cleaned up.

...................Oh wait, nevermind
12.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I clean mine every time I wear them. If I don''t, I find the holes get infected.
14.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have heavy friction backs not screw...but I clean mine in the u/s or with a toothbrush. I really don''t think there is a good way to clean them while in your ears...

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I dunk my friction backs into the US once a week. Generally they a good scrub from my shampoo...but any hair product usually gunks them up. I don''t think there is any way to actually deep clean them on your ear...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2009 4:11:15 PM
Author: purrfectpear

12.gif
Zing! Me, too!
36.gif
11.gif

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 4:11:15 PM
Author: purrfectpear

12.gif

LOL
3.gif

I clean my studs about once every other week. I should do it every week, but they''re screwbacks and a hassle to take off
5.gif
. I clean my rings though at least once or twice a week and maybe I''ll start trying to do the earrings at the same time...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean mine everyday along with my other jewelry. They really get gunked up from hairspray and stuff - even though I put them on after I put on hairspray.

I had mine reset in regular posts - the screwbacks took too long and they hurt my ears. I put insurance on them in case something happens to them. I figured it was worth it to me to be able to take them in and out whenever I wanted without investing too much time. I would have covered them with insurance anyway - you just never know what might happen!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a bit worried about the friction backs becoming loose if I take my studs out too often. . .so, I usually just suds them when I''m washing my hair. . .days when I don''t wash my hair, I wipe the top (table) part of the diamond with a paper towel and that sparkles them up a bit.

About once a month I take them out to clean them. I won''t be wearing them much over the summer because I go swimming a lot and I kind of like wearing fun summer earrings on days when I''m at the park or hanging out.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I just switched from screwbacks to friction backs, and I''m afraid that i won''t be cleaning my studs as much! The screwbacks would always end up hurting my ears so I would take them out often (and would clean them). I don''t feel a thing with the friction backs and have left them in for as long as a week!

Anyway, I think it would be hard to clean earrings while in your ear.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have the exact same studs from BN
1.gif

I soak mine every other day or so in warm water and mr.clean, then clean with a toothbrush and dry with a microfiber cloth. On days when I don't want to take them off to soak, I just wet the microfiber cloth and gently wipe them off. I also cut a tiny square of the cloth to keep in my purse for touch ups!

I'm sure you already do, but be sure close the sink drain and toilet before you remove them, more than once I've had the back go flying while I'm trying to unscrew them
5.gif

ETA: I rinse them off with water after the mr.clean soak/brush

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Mine get very dirty from hair products & from shampoo/conditioner residue. I put them in the US once a week, plus whenever I want them to look nice and sparkly.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
You can swab them with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol between really good scrubs - I find it takes off and wax/hairspray I may accidentally get on them once they''re on. I take mine out at night, but often swipe them with the rubbing alcohol to get rid of fingerprints after they''re in, LOL!

I drop them in the US about once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results