shape
carat
color
clarity

House pics..updating oak (as mentioned in my previous thread about trim color)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Well..here is the living room. I know some of you said you hate oak. Here is how I have updated it, or modernized the look a bit. First off, brown tiles with oak nosing to lead to the oak hardwood floors newly installed. Removed most of the oak hand railing and spindles, replaced with brown wrought iron to give it a more modern look. (Can also see oak cabinets in kitchen). Seen the use of wood and iron in a few magazines and LOVED the look! New windows were installed this past summer, and they replaced the trim around those with light oak as well. So..you can see, oak CAN look beautiful!
30.gif

stairs lead to second level.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I love the oak trim to match the floors in this room. I think it looks great against the dark red walls.

liv room two.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
You can see the same colors flow thoughout the dining room, and kitchen, as does the floor. It''s all the same level, with one half wall separating the three different spaces.

liv room and dining area.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who hates oak?!! How can *anyone* possibly hate oak!!?
33.gif

You have a BEAUTIFUL home. I
30.gif
it!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Can see a bit of the foyer in this shot. We changed the light fixture a year ago..this was bought from a contemporary lighting store (it's dark brown as well) . I decided doing 2 accent walls the dark red, the other walls (because it's more open, and flows into other rooms) are left a neutral color. I love the combination, and the warm colors look great with the oak!

living room and foyer.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 11:18:32 AM
Author: Phoenix
Who hates oak?!! How can *anyone* possibly
33.gif
hate oak!!?

30.gif
it!
EXACTLY!! lol
I think it''s rich..some people don''t like it, but I am just proving a point..it doesn''t look "dated", and can be made to look more modern!
I posted a thread about painting trim in my family room, and some people suggested I paint the oak fireplace
40.gif
. Everyone has different taste and different opinions. Thanks for the compliment Phoenix, I love my home and have spent much time decorating and redecorating, and upgrading EVERY room of the house since I''ve owned it ( 5 years now)....it''s so much fun!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your house is gorgeous! We had a split level only once, and it was the best! They don''t build them much because split levels are much more expensive to build than traditional 2 storey houses. It may be different in the states, but as you know Beau, where we live there isn''t as much variety. You''ve done a beautiful job with the colours. I know that oak isn''t that popular where we live, but I am stuck with a solid oak staircase and spindles, and oak kitchen cabinets (again SOLID oak, not veneers). We''ll be putting in oak hardwood too, to replace the parquet we have. We have all oak tables (kitchen/dining) and entertainment centre. Can''t get away from it I guess.
2.gif

I''d say come do my house, but it wouldn''t be worth it! I just want to move!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful beau !!
30.gif
36.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Lyra..I''m sure you could do alot with your house..why move? I would never move..we lucked out with this house..we knew the builder (who built it for himself), then divorced, and had to sell it. It''s made above and beyond the building codes. Houses are going up in our neighbourhood , and you can cut through the siding a untility knife (no word of a lie) they are made so cheaply. Crazy thing is..young couples are paying hundreds of thousands more than we parid for ours and there isn''t much too these new homes. If I had to build a new home, it would be a backsplit just like this one!! Only on the lake!
31.gif
One way to update the oak kitchen cabinets it by changing the knobs or handles, we did that, and added crown moulding above the cabinets. You can also give it a quick "scuff" not even have to sand them, and stain them lighter or darker with a new product out by Benjamin Moore. I''m thinking about doing it to my cupboards which are solid oak like yours! If you want ideas, I''m game..I love decorating, and remodelling!! I''ll gladly come over and help!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Your house is beautiful!! Everything is well suited especially the oak!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:41:17 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
beautiful beau !!
30.gif
36.gif
Thanks DF..that''s a HUGE compliment coming from you!
2.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 11:24:12 AM
Author: beau13
Date: 4/21/2009 11:18:32 AM

Author: Phoenix

Who hates oak?!! How can *anyone* possibly
33.gif
hate oak!!?

30.gif
it!
EXACTLY!! lol

I think it''s rich..some people don''t like it, but I am just proving a point..it doesn''t look ''dated'', and can be made to look more modern!

I posted a thread about painting trim in my family room, and some people suggested I paint the oak fireplace
40.gif
. Everyone has different taste and different opinions. Thanks for the compliment Phoenix, I love my home and have spent much time decorating and redecorating, and upgrading EVERY room of the house since I''ve owned it ( 5 years now)....it''s so much fun!

i know everyone is entitled to their own taste, but...

i think a blanket statement like hating oak is like saying you don''t like the color blue, or words that start with the letter ''P'',or tuesdays. i mean - some things are just absolutes, surely... almost anything can be made to look gorgeous if it''s done the right way, dressed in properly, used appropriately.

i think you''re definitely heading in the right direction for the style of house you have, beau - it''s looking great! and house decorating is an organic thing - it evolves during the process. will ove seeing where you are in another 5 years!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like oak floors...it feels sort of rustic-y to me. I don''t associate it with a modern house, but I think your floors look great Beau.

As far as oak being dated, I do think generally it dates a house. You''ve done a nice job updating a dated look and giving your house some uniqueness vs a lot of the homes these days that are very cookie cutter because they all use the same stuff (granite counters, darker wood trim, etc), but unfortunately to many people it still doesn''t look as up to date as they would prefer.

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to jump in here and say I think it just depends on the style of the house. One house may need oak to compliment it's design while others need a more modern look. I think it also depends on the style of the cabinets and that sort of thing. I'm also of the opinion that it's possible to have oak that doesn't look dated.

Of course I'm biased... we've spent the past year renovating a house and we've chosen oak. To be honest we really wanted a darker wood (cherry or something like that) but it just didn't fit our house and was too dark/ overpowering (does that make sense).

In the end we chose a warm oak color for our floor... in fact most people don't think it's oak at all since it's not the traditional light golden color. We've chosen a similar color oak for our cabinets (which will hopefully soon be installed in our kitchen) but we're planning to use black (with brown specs) granite countertops, darker tile on the floor, and simple but modern hardware. The style we selected for the cabinet doors is also very simple....nothing that looks like it belongs in a farmhouse
1.gif
My husband really wanted darker cabinets but our kitchen isn't all that large (about 200 sq ft) and I wanted to keep it open looking.... it wasn't possible to open it up to the rest of the house and I was afraid darker cabinets would be oppresive. When all is finished I hope we will have acheived a nice balance color-wise.

All our trim is painted white and i think that helps to darken up the floors too and keeps our house a little more in line with the current trends.

So... all of this to say that I think it is possible to use oak in a way that doesn' t look dated ... it just depends on how it's done
1.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 1:16:01 PM
Author: applequeen
I''m going to jump in here and say I think it just depends on the style of the house. One house may need oak to compliment it''s design while others need a more modern look. I think it also depends on the style of the cabinets and that sort of thing. I''m also of the opinion that it''s possible to have oak that doesn''t look dated.

Of course I''m biased... we''ve spent the past year renovating a house and we''ve chosen oak. To be honest we really wanted a darker wood (cherry or something like that) but it just didn''t fit our house and was too dark/ overpowering (does that make sense).

In the end we chose a warm oak color for our floor... in fact most people don''t think it''s oak at all since it''s not the traditional light golden color. We''ve chosen a similar color oak for our cabinets (which will hopefully soon be installed in our kitchen) but we''re planning to use black (with brown specs) granite countertops, darker tile on the floor, and simple but modern hardware. The style we selected for the cabinet doors is also very simple....nothing that looks like it belongs in a farmhouse
1.gif
My husband really wanted darker cabinets but our kitchen isn''t all that large (about 200 sq ft) and I wanted to keep it open looking.... it wasn''t possible to open it up to the rest of the house and I was afraid darker cabinets would be oppresive. When all is finished I hope we will have acheived a nice balance color-wise.

All our trim is painted white and i think that helps to darken up the floors too and keeps our house a little more in line with the current trends.

So... all of this to say that I think it is possible to use oak in a way that doesn'' t look dated ... it just depends on how it''s done
1.gif
That all sounds so beautiful Apple!!
I hope you post pics once the project is complete..sounds like an elegant kitchen that I would much enjoy!!
Good luck with the project!
emthup.gif
to oak!!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your house looks beautiful. I always laugh when people say that something, whether it''s a wood species or a stain color or whatever, makes a house look dated. Yes, it does and all the things that people are doing to their houses now will also date the house and that''s okay. Dark floors and cherry cabinets are going to look very late 90''s and 00''s in a few years. The same way maple did before cherry and oak before that. And dark wood moldings aren''t something new. My mother-in-law''s house has dark trim which was very current when it was built in 1966. It''s mid-century modern to younger people but we just see it as what our parents'' houses looked like when we were growing up. And years from now people who were raised in houses with dark floors and cabinets or painted white molding will look at all these remodeled houses and say "That''s so dated" and then want to remodel it with something else. Like oak. And it won''t be nearly the quality of the wood you have.

So I say you''re right to celebrate the oak. It''s one of the special features of your house and will be what make someone falls in love with when yo sell. And they''ll say "You just can''t get wood like that anymore" and it will be true.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
That looks fantastic!! LOVE the dark red walls
30.gif
9.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
That was so well said Rainwood.
You're absolutely right..wood is like fashion, going full circle..what was "in" then, will be in again.
When I chose the hardwood floor color, a few friends asked why I didn't go with dark (chocolate brown) floors, like they see in all the magazines, and new homes. I said, "the natural oak goes with everything, " (thinking about resale value), not everyone would enjoy the dark floors. PLUS..those friends who chose that route sure are cursing themselves now..ever see how dusty they look, dustbunnies multilpy hourly..vacumming is a must twice a day!! You see so much dust on dark wood.
I do plan on living here for many years to come... and I do enjoy the uniqueness and warmth of the wood and other features of this home.
I'd hate to spend hundreds of thousands more on a home, and have to start all over, adjusting it to my liking.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 1:41:23 PM
That was so well said Rainwood.
You''re absolutely right..wood is like fashion, going full circle..what was ''in'' then, will be in again.
When I chose the hardwood floor color, a few friends asked why I didn''t go with dark (chocolate brown) floors, like they see in all the magazines, and new homes. I said, ''the natural oak goes with everything, '' (thinking about resale value), not everyone would enjoy the dark floors. PLUS..those friends who chose that route sure are cursing themselves now..ever see how dusty they look, dustbunnies multilpy hourly..vacumming is a must twice a day!! You see so much dust on dark wood.
I do plan on living here for many years to come... and I do enjoy the uniqueness and warmth of the wood and other features of this home.
I''d hate to spend hundreds of thousands more on a home, and have to start all over, adjusting it to my liking.
So true. I''m pretty sure some of the shoes my mom wore would be seriously killer cute shoes now.

I''m with you on the dark floors. I like the look of them, but boy, they seem high maintenance. I''m not a fan of oak trim, but when I buy our house and if we need to put in flooring, I''m going to do a lighter color, possibly oak! It seems to open up a room more than darker floors as well.

Anyone wonder when wallpapering is going to come back in?
31.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Wait, I''m confused, you''re selling this house!? I WANT IT!!!

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks beau
1.gif
I admit reading all the "oak is out" posts had me questioning my judgement but I like to think of oak as the "little black dress" of wood... how it looks depends on what you put with it.

Rainwood.... you''re totally right. Our house was full of dark paneling and trim (built in the 70s) and I think that might have influenced my choice to go with something lighter.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 1:50:12 PM
Thanks beau
1.gif
I admit reading all the ''oak is out'' posts had me questioning my judgement but I like to think of oak as the ''little black dress'' of wood... how it looks depends on what you put with it.

Rainwood.... you''re totally right. Our house was full of dark paneling and trim (built in the 70s) and I think that might have influenced my choice to go with something lighter.
Have to agree with you there. The dark countertops with the lighter cabinets will be KILLER!! Don''t 2nd guess yourself..you will love it when you see the final product..mark my word!! Be sure to take some pictures !!

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 1:58:34 PM

Date: 4/21/2009 1:50:12 PM
Thanks beau
1.gif
I admit reading all the ''oak is out'' posts had me questioning my judgement but I like to think of oak as the ''little black dress'' of wood... how it looks depends on what you put with it.

Have to agree with you there. The dark countertops with the lighter cabinets will be KILLER!! Don''t 2nd guess yourself..you will love it when you see the final product..mark my word!! Be sure to take some pictures !!
I hope so, I''m really excited to see the finished product. From what I can see of your kitchen it looks like you also used a dark countertop.

BTW... I love your house... I think it looks great and I love the red you''ve used. It looks like you''ve found a really nice balance with your updates.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Yes Apple, we installed new countertops that are a chocolate brown with black and beige flecks in it. Even though the countertops are only 2 yrs. old, I am considering changing them again in the next few months (and the island top) to a lighter color, if I stain the oak darker, or leaving the countertops as is..and staining the oak cabinets just a tad lighter!
I want to see yours..that will give me ideas!! lol

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 1:48:49 PM
Author: Feralpenchant
Wait, I'm confused, you're selling this house!? I WANT IT!!!
NOPE..house is not for sale, the kids might be!
31.gif

I joke with people who come over and compliment me on the house. They say if ever I sell..let them be the first to know. I tell them it comes fully furnished..with KIDS!! HA!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think anyone could hate anything in your house! You''ve got great style!

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:14:30 PM
Yes Apple, we installed new countertops that are a chocolate brown with black and beige flecks in it. Even though the countertops are only 2 yrs. old, I am considering changing them again in the next few months (and the island top) to a lighter color, if I stain the oak darker, or leaving the countertops as is..and staining the oak cabinets just a tad lighter!
I want to see yours..that will give me ideas!! lol
Oh the fun of remodeling... it never ends does it?

We haven''t ordered our countertops yet (can''t do that until the cabinets are installed) but we''re 98% sure we want the dark ones ...this is the link to what we''re considering http://sensagranite.com/2006/images/granite/TropicBrown_400.jpg

We have a Plan B option that is a light (tans/ browns) color but we''re really wanting the dark. I''ll post a picture if/ when we ever get finished.
1.gif

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 11:16:06 AM
You can see the same colors flow thoughout the dining room, and kitchen, as does the floor. It's all the same level, with one half wall separating the three different spaces.
Beau,
Your house is GORGEOUS, but I am wondering who is in the picture on the table with the Toronto Maple Leafs logo...is it you???

~Kat

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:18:57 PM
Author: Kelli
I don''t think anyone could hate anything in your house! You''ve got great style!
Ahhhhh..thanks Kelli..you''re my new best friend!
2.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:42:34 PM
Author: got2goldens

Date: 4/21/2009 11:16:06 AM
You can see the same colors flow thoughout the dining room, and kitchen, as does the floor. It's all the same level, with one half wall separating the three different spaces.
Beau,
Your house is GORGEOUS, but I am wondering who is in the picture on the table with the Toronto Maple Leafs logo...is it you???

~Kat
Good eyes!! There's a few of those pics around. That one is my hubby and kids, just outside (across from the ACC). We live about 3.5 hrs north of Toronto, but my husband will occassionally bring home tickets for the Leafs game (platinum seats at that), take the kids out of school for a day or two, and we drive down, watch the game, stay the night, do some shopping..etc. It's great!! I'm not a Leafs fan, but I do enjoy sitting 3 rows up from the rink, getting in seat service..the guys that bring you beer/wine are awewome!! Are you a Leafs fan Kat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results