shape
carat
color
clarity

House pics..updating oak (as mentioned in my previous thread about trim color)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
You are a good decorator. The color schemes compliment the oak quite well. And I just love the accent pillows on your couches. I''m a pillow fiend. Their super cute!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 11:24:12 AM
Author: beau13
Date: 4/21/2009 11:18:32 AM

Author: Phoenix

Who hates oak?!! How can *anyone* possibly
33.gif
hate oak!!?

You have a BEAUTIFUL home. I
30.gif
it!
EXACTLY!! lol

I think it''s rich..some people don''t like it, but I am just proving a point..it doesn''t look ''dated'', and can be made to look more modern!

I posted a thread about painting trim in my family room, and some people suggested I paint the oak fireplace
40.gif
. Everyone has different taste and different opinions. Thanks for the compliment Phoenix, I love my home and have spent much time decorating and redecorating, and upgrading EVERY room of the house since I''ve owned it ( 5 years now)....it''s so much fun!

I think the comment(s) regarding painting your fireplace was more about trying to merge the traditional style of the mantle/surround with the modern style of your decor, not the oak. Currently the two styles in your family room (see other thread) conflict. Painting, while not ideal, is an easier option than pulling off the mantle and putting in a new one. IMHO, I think a slate mantle/fireplace surround would be spectacular in your family room and would match the stairs leading to the level with your kitchen (I couldn''t see if the stair treads were all slate, or just the kickplate.

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:58:08 PM

Date: 4/21/2009 2:42:34 PM
Author: got2goldens

Date: 4/21/2009 11:16:06 AM
You can see the same colors flow thoughout the dining room, and kitchen, as does the floor. It's all the same level, with one half wall separating the three different spaces.
Beau,
Your house is GORGEOUS, but I am wondering who is in the picture on the table with the Toronto Maple Leafs logo...is it you???

~Kat
Good eyes!! There's a few of those pics around. That one is my hubby and kids, just outside (across from the ACC). We live about 3.5 hrs north of Toronto, but my husband will occassionally bring home tickets for the Leafs game (platinum seats at that), take the kids out of school for a day or two, and we drive down, watch the game, stay the night, do some shopping..etc. It's great!! I'm not a Leafs fan, but I do enjoy sitting 3 rows up from the rink, getting in seat service..the guys that bring you beer/wine are awewome!! Are you a Leafs fan Kat?
Hi Beau,
You know, I used to be a hockey fanatic. Like, when I saw the Leafs logo, I immediately thought of Mats Sundin...anyway, I have a little daughter that takes up a lot of what used to be my hockey-watching time
9.gif

I have to admit, I saw the logo and got kind of excited (well, and the fact that you sit 3 rows from the ice...wow). But that picture/logo takes a definite backseat to your house pictures...my goodness, it is absolutely beautiful (I personally love oak), and spotless, too!
30.gif

~Kat

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your house is gorgeous beau! Love the oak.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 3:11:29 PM

You can see the same colors flow thoughout the dining room, and kitchen, as does the floor. It''s all the same level, with one half wall separating the three different spaces.
Beau,
Your house is GORGEOUS, but I am wondering who is in the picture on the table with the Toronto Maple Leafs logo...is it you???

~Kat
Good eyes!! There''s a few of those pics around. That one is my hubby and kids, just outside (across from the ACC). We live about 3.5 hrs north of Toronto, but my husband will occassionally bring home tickets for the Leafs game (platinum seats at that), take the kids out of school for a day or two, and we drive down, watch the game, stay the night, do some shopping..etc. It''s great!! I''m not a Leafs fan, but I do enjoy sitting 3 rows up from the rink, getting in seat service..the guys that bring you beer/wine are awewome!! Are you a Leafs fan Kat?
Hi Beau,
You know, I used to be a hockey fanatic. Like, when I saw the Leafs logo, I immediately thought of Mats Sundin...anyway, I have a little daughter that takes up a lot of what used to be my hockey-watching time
9.gif

I have to admit, I saw the logo and got kind of excited (well, and the fact that you sit 3 rows from the ice...wow). But that picture/logo takes a definite backseat to your house pictures...my goodness, it is absolutely beautiful (I personally love oak), and spotless, too!
30.gif

~Kat
Sundin is one of my favs!! I''ve partied with a few NHL''ers over the years, (that''s a whole different thread..lol) some are arrogant, some are cool..."
Mats is cool! I miss him now that he isn''t playing for Toronto! Hockey is my life..a hubby who played for years..and two boys who play competively..so I''m involved with hockey for 8 months out of the year, travelling alot!!
Cleaning house is my job..I''m fortunate to be able to stay home, so I feel the least I can do is keep the place tidy all the time (which is difficult with two boys who take 5 minutes to mess up, what took you 4 hrs to clean!). If I worked full time, the place wouldn''t look so tidy, and the housekeeper would have her hands full!! lol

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 4:54:42 PM

Date: 4/21/2009 3:11:29 PM

You can see the same colors flow thoughout the dining room, and kitchen, as does the floor. It''s all the same level, with one half wall separating the three different spaces.
Beau,

~Kat
Good eyes!! There''s a few of those pics around. That one is my hubby and kids, just outside (across from the ACC). We live about 3.5 hrs north of Toronto, but my husband will occassionally bring home tickets for the Leafs game (platinum seats at that), take the kids out of school for a day or two, and we drive down, watch the game, stay the night, do some shopping..etc. It''s great!! I''m not a Leafs fan, but I do enjoy sitting 3 rows up from the rink, getting in seat service..the guys that bring you beer/wine are awewome!! Are you a Leafs fan Kat?
Hi Beau,
9.gif

30.gif

~Kat
Sundin is one of my favs!! I''ve partied with a few NHL''ers over the years, (that''s a whole different thread..lol) some are arrogant, some are cool...''
Mats is cool! I miss him now that he isn''t playing for Toronto! Hockey is my life..a hubby who played for years..and two boys who play competively..so I''m involved with hockey for 8 months out of the year, travelling alot!!
Cleaning house is my job..I''m fortunate to be able to stay home, so I feel the least I can do is keep the place tidy all the time (which is difficult with two boys who take 5 minutes to mess up, what took you 4 hrs to clean!). If I worked full time, the place wouldn''t look so tidy, and the housekeeper would have her hands full!! lol
Hey now...maybe you should start that whole different thread about partying with the NHL''ers! (I have been to the Celebrity Bartender event for the STL Blues quite a few times...fun bunch, there!)
Yeah, M. Sundin was an awesome hockey player. I am very impressed with your family''s involvement with hockey! I can only hope my daughter will play field hockey some day...
Well you are certainly a spiffy housekeeper! I work from home, so I am here all day but I can tell you that my house is not spotless like yours...and I do love the way you have your house decorated, the colors, etc.
It looks like a showcase home!

~Kat

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beau--Your home is beautiful! Of course, that''s not surprising after seeing your fabulous taste in jewelry.

I wish I had your flair for decorating. I love our new home, but I am at a total loss for decorating it. Maybe I''ll get around to posting pictures and begging for advice once the school year is out . . .

I LOVE your home! The oak is beautiful in my opinion. I''m a huge fan of wood, in general.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 5:58:23 PM
Author: Haven
Beau--Your home is beautiful! Of course, that's not surprising after seeing your fabulous taste in jewelry.

I wish I had your flair for decorating. I love our new home, but I am at a total loss for decorating it. Maybe I'll get around to posting pictures and begging for advice once the school year is out . . .

I LOVE your home! The oak is beautiful in my opinion. I'm a huge fan of wood, in general.
Thanks Haven!!
I'd love to come over and help you decorate..my friends usually start their projects soon after seeing any I have recently completed. So..I imagine one will be calling me and offering me a paint brush very shortly!
28.gif

I love it though..painting is relaxing, as is sewing (curtains). So..I will never refuse a chance to help beautify a room..any room..any time!!
I love making over friends too..those who let me. Give me a color palette (makeup) and watch me go..transforming them into masterpieces. It's just like painting, on a different canvas!
I love giving advice on colors and wardrobe too (the image consultant in me). Friends usually throw clothes at me, asking what they should wear on a date, or for an event, and what accessories..sometimes I will lend them mine (not my diamonds though)
38.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I am not a fan of oak...when we redid our home I riped every inch of oak out and replaced it. Oak just wasn''t my thing. But, when it''s "done right" it looks alright if it fits your style and decor. For me, it didn''t...but Beau''s home and style is more traditional and certainly fits oak.

Personally, I think anything can be timeless when you decorate appropriately and do it correctly.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I guess I would have to see it in person. Every time I''ve seen oak in a house I''ve looked at I''ve thought, "Well, that would have to go." I do like your oak floors, though.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful Beau!!! I think that you have a wonderful taste of decoration, you house is so beautiful and gorgous!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have oak wood floors and I love them! In fact, it was one of the selling points. I love having the wood floors throughout the house and I love the continuity throughout the house. I hate it when a house has one type of wood in one room and another type in another. Tile I don''t mind, different types of wood throughout a house would drive me buggy. Also, I like wood floors in the bedrooms as well. Oh well, I am just like that.

I definitely don''t think it looks dated and my house was a year old when I purchased it, so I know they were not "old" either and need replacing. But, if I were to redo the wood floors, I would go with the light oak or maple. I think it brightens up a room.

I think your house looks great. In fact it looks very similar to my house with the lighter color couches and the darker colored walls.

You house looks great.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your house looks beautiful! I love the colors, the floors and the trim. My downstairs has all oak hardwood floors that are a little darker than yours. I''d love to carry them through to the upstairs if we ever get around to working on the house. I have wood trim, interior doors, stair rails, mantle, etc. I''d never consider painting any of them. I really like the mixture of wood and iron you have... great idea!

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
Beau -
35.gif
You did a very nice job with your house. I love your wood and iron railing... was that custom ?

We are in the middle of a big kitchen/hallway/foyer renovation.. it has been going on for a long time.. My husband had to tear out two old floors and install a new hardi backer subfloor..that alone took several months..he just finished. In the main foyer we installed a marble medallion with porcelian tiles and black granite inserts at every other point. He had alot of prep work to do with clipping the tiles corners. Next we will be installing our new kitchen cabinets..we still have to make a final decision on our granite.. You are lucky to be done
36.gif

Some of the old sayings are true... if you don''t have anything nice to say... don''t say anything at all..

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 12:53:40 PM
Author: crystalheart1
Beau -
35.gif
You did a very nice job with your house. I love your wood and iron railing... was that custom ?

We are in the middle of a big kitchen/hallway/foyer renovation.. it has been going on for a long time.. My husband had to tear out two old floors and install a new hardi backer subfloor..that alone took several months..he just finished. In the main foyer we installed a marble medallion with porcelian tiles and black granite inserts at every other point. He had alot of prep work to do with clipping the tiles corners. Next we will be installing our new kitchen cabinets..we still have to make a final decision on our granite.. You are lucky to be done
36.gif

Some of the old sayings are true... if you don''t have anything nice to say... don''t say anything at all..
Thank you Crystalheart..I think I did a decent job...I love my house !!
I was going to get a huge wrought iron piece (sort of scroll work) that would have been custom, however they told me 2 months..and I wanted it done within days. I managed to find these wonderful spindles in a catalogue that a local hardware store ordered for me. The color was perfect, I liked the design, and hubby loved that I saved us about $2000 not going the custom route!
16.gif
. Good luck with your projects, and be sure to keep me updated..would love to see pics! I enjoy seeing different styles, different homes..it always gives me ideas for the next project I have in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results