shape
carat
color
clarity

Hotel toilet flushes on it own--- scary

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone ever encounter anything weird while staying at a hotel? Recently, hubby, our baby girl & I stayed a night at a 5 stars hotel in the midwest. It happened sometime before midnight and we're all about to go to bed. I heard a flushing sound. Its a 2 bedroom hotel and the door to the door to the toilet in the bedroom was opened. My hubby heard it too..

We looked at each other and he said, "That's normal I guess, this hotel must be old". Old or not, I don't think that hotel is that "old" old. Is it a common thing for old toilet to flush on its own?

I slept with the our luggage blocking the toilet door. Sure scare the heck out of me.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
7.gif
guess no one have met a ghost.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes it happens
The valve sticks and instead of spilling water all over the place it flushes.
Mine upstairs one does it from time to time.
Flush it then a couple hours later it will flush itself every once in the while.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 10:37:19 PM
Author: strmrdr
yes it happens
Flush it then a couple hours later it will flush itself every once in the while.
is that right? ok, no ghost, just the valve. thanks strmrdr. That says so much about my knowledge where potty is concern.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 10:41:57 PM
Author: hibiscus

yes it happens

is that right? ok, no ghost, just the valve. thanks strmrdr. That says so much about my knowledge where potty is concern.
I guessing it is likely a 1970-1980 toilet they were the worst ones for doing it.
1980-1994 is less likely to do it.
The newer low water use from 1994 and later don''t do it at all as they use a different design.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Hibiscus, I sweat for you when I saw your post.

Thanks Storm for giving such good info. Next time we stay in an old house and hear the toilet, we wouldn''t freak out. haha.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oohh--yes. One night while Hubby and I were staying at a Homewood Suites hotel, we were sound asleep when the overhead light and ceiling fan came on at about 2:30 am. I was so freaked out, I couldn''t get back to sleep.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:41:16 PM
Author: deegee
Oohh--yes. One night while Hubby and I were staying at a Homewood Suites hotel, we were sound asleep when the overhead light and ceiling fan came on at about 2:30 am. I was so freaked out, I couldn''t get back to sleep.
EEK! THis would freak me out!
I have not had a toilet flush incident, or a fan, but since we are on the topic of strange things happening at hotels...a few years ago the hubby, our 3 kids and I went to Chicago for a long weekend. We stayed at this old hotel in one of the suburbs. We were sleeping one night, it was after midnight, when all of a sudden the lights came on and the main door slammed shut! It was scary as all heck...all three kids were sound asleep (they are little so I know that it was not them) and DH was snoring away. I peeked out into the hall and I saw nothing
23.gif

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 10:48:27 PM

Date: 10/3/2008 10:41:57 PM
Author: hibiscus

yes it happens

I guessing it is likely a 1970-1980 toilet they were the worst ones for doing it.
1980-1994 is less likely to do it.
The newer low water use from 1994 and later don''t do it at all as they use a different design.
Karl, its comforting to know it wasn''t an encounter with a third kind. Guess that explains the house previously owned by my husband, built in 1920''s. Perhaps the toilet was upgraded around the 70''s, 80''s, that''s why we hear occasional flushing in our toilet.

Jen

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Yeah would definitely freak me out! Then again..the toilet in FI''s bathroom flushes randomly every once and a while. And our apt is less than 6 yrs old so it''s pretty freaky!
14.gif

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 10:56:47 PM
Author: lovegem
Hibiscus, I sweat for you when I saw your post.

Thanks Storm for giving such good info. Next time we stay in an old house and hear the toilet, we wouldn''t freak out. haha.
Lovegem, I sweat even more than night, oh wait, I can''t possibly sweat in that not so hot or cold indoor temperature :).. I didn''t really sleep and kept my back towards the toilet all night long. I wish I can switch place between my daughter and hubby and had myself in between them, heheh.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Oohh--yes. One night while Hubby and I were staying at a Homewood Suites hotel, we were sound asleep when the overhead light and ceiling fan came on at about 2:30 am. I was so freaked out, I couldn't get back to sleep.
Sccccccccccccccccaaary. You should have called front desk and ask for another room. Yes, that's just freaky.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 11:52:00 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana

EEK! THis would freak me out!
I have not had a toilet flush incident, or a fan, but since we are on the topic of strange things happening at hotels...a few years ago the hubby, our 3 kids and I went to Chicago for a long weekend. We stayed at this old hotel in one of the suburbs. We were sleeping one night, it was after midnight, when all of a sudden the lights came on and the main door slammed shut! It was scary as all heck...all three kids were sound asleep (they are little so I know that it was not them) and DH was snoring away. I peeked out into the hall and I saw nothing
23.gif
Dana, I can''t sleeeeeeeeep reading yours and deegee post. You even have the courage to peek.. I would have just wake my hubby up. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, scary for sure.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
My hubby was staying at one of the Navy hotels while on a rotation, and the overhead light and ceiling fan had a remote for turning it on and off. He said both the light and the fan would randomly turn on/off throughout the day and night. It freaked him out at first, but then he realized it was probably just the person next door using his remote on his light, and the remote was strong enough to reach through the wall. One night they even got in a remote "war" because the light kept coming on, and dh would turn it off, and then it would come on again, etc. and dh couldn''t find a string to turn it off manually.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 6:41:03 PM
Author:hibiscus
Has anyone ever encounter anything weird while staying at a hotel? Recently, hubby, our baby girl & I stayed a night at a 5 stars hotel in the midwest. It happened sometime before midnight and we''re all about to go to bed. I heard a flushing sound. Its a 2 bedroom hotel and the door to the door to the toilet in the bedroom was opened. My hubby heard it too..

We looked at each other and he said, ''That''s normal I guess, this hotel must be old''. Old or not, I don''t think that hotel is that ''old'' old. Is it a common thing for old toilet to flush on its own?

I slept with the our luggage blocking the toilet door. Sure scare the heck out of me.
Well for starters, yes toilets can flush on their own. Before we replaced our very old and rusted toilet flapper the toilet would flush on its own. The water overnight would lift the flapper and flush.

As for anything weird in a hotel...no. In houses I''ve stayed in yes. My aunt lives in a home that we are convinced is haunted (found out it was built on top of a few old graves). The things that happen in that house
32.gif

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 12:37:56 PM

Date: 10/3/2008 6:41:03 PM

As for anything weird in a hotel...no. In houses I''ve stayed in yes. My aunt lives in a home that we are convinced is haunted (found out it was built on top of a few old graves). The things that happen in that house
32.gif

please enlighten us with your ghost stories.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''ve got a ghost story!

When I first started out as a teacher I lived in a tiny little apartment. The school nurse''s ex-husband lived right next door to me. One night I was awakened by a noise in my bathroom. When I went to check, the bathroom faucet was on full blast. It freaked me out so bad that I grabbed my clothes for the next day and took off to my boyfriend''s (now husband) house for the night. At the end of the next school day, our school nurse was notified that her ex-husband had died in his apartment the night before. CREEPY! I didn''t spend much time after that in my apartment.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2008 5:20:29 PM
I''ve got a ghost story!

When I first started out as a teacher I lived in a tiny little apartment. The school nurse''s ex-husband lived right next door to me. One night I was awakened by a noise in my bathroom. When I went to check, the bathroom faucet was on full blast. It freaked me out so bad that I grabbed my clothes for the next day and took off to my boyfriend''s (now husband) house for the night. At the end of the next school day, our school nurse was notified that her ex-husband had died in his apartment the night before. CREEPY! I didn''t spend much time after that in my apartment.
OMG! Now that would freak me out! I don''t think that I would EVER go back!!

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 2:21:16 AM
Author: SarahLovesJS
Yeah would definitely freak me out! Then again..the toilet in FI''s bathroom flushes randomly every once and a while. And our apt is less than 6 yrs old so it''s pretty freaky!
14.gif
If i were you, i would be worried everytime I have use the hot seat. What if the flushing episode occurs and should I run on a half bake cake? Perhaps, won''t have a choice at that point.. Maybe, I watched too much of elm street in the past and other horror movies ..
23.gif
That''s just too scary.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 8:57:09 AM
Author: Sabine
My hubby was staying at one of the Navy hotels while on a rotation, and the overhead light and ceiling fan had a remote for turning it on and off. He said both the light and the fan would randomly turn on/off throughout the day and night. It freaked him out at first, but then he realized it was probably just the person next door using his remote on his light, and the remote was strong enough to reach through the wall. One night they even got in a remote ''war'' because the light kept coming on, and dh would turn it off, and then it would come on again, etc. and dh couldn''t find a string to turn it off manually.
hehehe, that''s funny. I stayed at a navy lodge twice at key west.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 12:37:56 PM
Author: fieryred33143

Well for starters, yes toilets can flush on their own. Before we replaced our very old and rusted toilet flapper the toilet would flush on its own. The water overnight would lift the flapper and flush.

32.gif
did your aunt meet "anyone" interesting? I would make arrangement to move if I ever find out house was a graveyard in the past. Even if the ghost(s) never plan to make any encounter with me, I''ll be too freaked out and occupied with the thoughts of them everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results