shape
carat
color
clarity

Hotel pricing glitch - think they'll honor it?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to leave out names and locations, but just wondered if anyone had ever dealt with this and if I should anticipate some trouble when I show up.

I had a hotel room booked at a less expensive hotel for next week, but since the trip is coming up soon, I decided to check other local hotels to see if there were any details.

When I searched on one hotel's page, rooms normally $200+ a night came up as $50 a night (for a weekend no less). I knew this was likely a glitch so I called the hotel before booking to confirm (I have stayed at this hotel several times before and know what it costs). The lady on the phone was very surprised at that rate but said she couldn't access the screen I was on, and that if I found that rate, book it, then she could confirm the reservation number and tell me if it went through or not.

So, I booked the rate and then called back right away and sure enough, it did show the cheap price. The woman said she had never seen a price that low before, but that it was showing up in her computer that way and she sent me an email confirmation displaying the price as well, so I do have written proof that I booked at that particular rate.

As of right now, if you type those dates in again, it's coming up as about $700 but the price I'm confirmed for is $300. I'm worried that when I show up, they'll say it was a mistake and charge me the full amount, in which case I would have been better off keeping my less expensive reservation elsewhere.

Anyone have any experience with this situation?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had no problem several years ago when I stumbled upon a similar steal, which could only have happened because of a computer snafu in the hotel's own, online booking system: a 1-bedroom suite at The Lucerne (near Lincoln Center, where my niece's college graduation was being held) for $75/night when the rate should have been $395/night for those dates.

Like you, I was apprehensive about what might happen at check-in. When I handed my confirmation print-out for the 2-night reservation to the woman at the registration desk, her eyes widened before she started clicking away on her computer. But after a minute or two, she looked up with a smile and said, "Would a corner suite be alright with you, Ms. Malone; one of those is immediately available, on the 3rd floor." A higher floor, more removed from traffic noise, would have been better, but I sure wasn't going to quibble!

In my years on TripAdvisor's NYC and Washington, DC forums, I've only heard of this kind of thing happening a handful of times. But in every one of such instances, the hotels did indeed honor the erroneous price. :sun:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
MollyMalone|1442722483|3929732 said:
I had no problem several years ago when I stumbled upon a similar steal, which could only have happened because of a computer snafu in the hotel's own, online booking system: a 1-bedroom suite at The Lucerne (near Lincoln Center, where my niece's college graduation was being held) for $75/night when the rate should have been $395/night for those dates.

Like you, I was apprehensive about what might happen at check-in. When I handed my confirmation print-out for the 2-night reservation to the woman at the registration desk, her eyes widened before she started clicking away on her computer. But after a minute or two, she looked up with a smile and said, "Would a corner suite be alright with you, Ms. Malone; one of those is immediately available, on the 3rd floor." A higher floor, more removed from traffic noise, would have been better, but I sure wasn't going to quibble!

In my years on TripAdvisor's NYC and Washington, DC forums, I've only heard of this kind of thing happening a handful of times. But in every one of such instances, the hotels did indeed honor the erroneous price. :sun:

Thank you! That's encouraging. I asked friends on FB and am not feeling too confident but I don't have any other option at this point. I had to cancel my backup reservation because it's non-refundable if you don't cancel 72 hours in advance so I can't wait until I try to check in to decide.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers crossed for you!! I know you'll feel much relieved once you're ensconced there.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they don't contact you well before hand to cancel and "fix" it I can't see them turning you away. THAT would be cause for some pretty terrible reviews and I think they would rather eat the booking cost than let that happen.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonny I'm so excited for you about this I hope it goes without a glitch for you! Do you know what you'll do with the extra money?

Enjoy!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1442779099|3929912 said:
sonny I'm so excited for you about this I hope it goes without a glitch for you! Do you know what you'll do with the extra money?

Enjoy!

Ha that's the thing, if I have more money I'll spend it at the hotel (drinks, food, and I'll let the cat out of the bag, the hotel is in Vegas so I'll spend it at the tables too). They'll get it one way or another.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I worked in travel and this does happen occasionally. The hotel has to honor the rate it was booked at. Hotels have a 'pricing department' responsible for entering rates, and humans make mistakes. Generally they will take the rate down ASAP and honor the rate for the people who booked it in the meantime. Just make sure you bring your confirmation with the rate included somewhere on the printout so you have backup if they think it's a mistake. You hear about this occasionally with airlines--they load the wrong fares and until they take it down/change the fare, they have to honor the fate the flight was booked at for those who booked during that time. You're lucky on this one!!!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1442782490|3929940 said:
CJ2008|1442779099|3929912 said:

Enjoy!

Ha that's the thing, if I have more money I'll spend it at the hotel (drinks, food, and I'll let the cat out of the bag, the hotel is in Vegas so I'll spend it at the tables too). They'll get it one way or another.

Oh that's exactly the kind of thing I would do too! Extra lavish dinner, maybe a better bottle of wine...whatever...it would definitely be spent on upgrading the stay. :bigsmile:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sonny, I'm would be extremely surprised if they didn't honor the price you were given. I would bring a copy of the reservation confirmation stating the price with you. Please let us know if they do not honor the quoted price.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Well I'm all checked in, no mention was made! Obviously I won't see the folio until I check out Saturday but I can certainly challenge the fact after checkout if necessary!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoy the room! :D

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats awesome! I too would be surprised if the hotel didn't honor it. The only time ive seen something similar happen where the discounts werent honored was booking through a 3rd party (expedia, travelocity).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results