shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey! Dancing Fire! Look Here!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paul Krugman wrote a column in yesterday's (Sunday, July 13's) "The New York Times" called "Obamacare Fails To Fail". Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/14/opinion/paul-krugman-obamacare-fails-to-fail.html?ref=todayspaper In it he refers to the significant drop in the number of uninsured Americans since the passage of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and how this has failed to make the news!

I think it is worth noting.

I am excerpting one small portion of the article. In it Mr. Krugman takes on the conservatives who say that it is the economy's improvement (under President Obama) that made the enrollment in health insurance improve, not the program(!!!).

"I’ve been seeing some claims on the right that the dramatic reduction in the number of uninsured was caused by economic recovery, not health reform (so now conservatives are praising the Obama economy?). But that’s pretty lame, and also demonstrably wrong.

For one thing, the decline is too sharp to be explained by what is at best a modest improvement in the employment picture. For another, that Urban Institute survey shows a striking difference between the experience in states that expanded Medicaid — which are also, in general, states that have done their best to make health care reform work — and those that refused to let the federal government cover their poor. Sure enough, the decline in uninsured residents has been three times as large in Medicaid-expansion states as in Medicaid-expansion rejecters. It’s not the economy; it’s the policy, stupid."

Deb/AGBF
Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
:read:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, there are losers from Obamacare. If you’re young, healthy, and affluent enough that you don’t qualify for a subsidy (and don’t get insurance from your employer), your premium probably did rise.

Deb, sadly I'd know many of my friend's kids fall into that category, and of course the NYT is not going to talk about Obama's low rating as President. Deb, face the truth, even one of his biggest supporter groups (the young college graduates) are having buyer's remorse, b/c many are stuck with a large amount of student loans with no jobs. The president is strangling our economy to death with his policies by hurting small businesses and the middle class.

Deb, We are not living in 2008 anymore...The Obama-mania is over!.. :tongue:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...made me think of Jimmy Fallon's reasoning for why the ACA was "successful" in getting the numbers to reach it's goal. :think: :shifty: :lol: :lol:

jimmyfallon_obamacare.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm always curious that if the economy has been strangled by Obama why are the rich getting richer?
such first world thoughts to ponder.........

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1405350762|3713045 said:
I'm always curious that if the economy has been strangled by Obama why are the rich getting richer?

The rich will almost always get richer... tax laws are written as such. :|

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And why are there more Americans on welfare then ever?
And why is there less middle class Americans under his watch?
And why aren't we creating 400K per month at this cycle of our economy?
And why are there so many college graduates unemployed?

And if I were a Dem. running for re-election this fall I wouldn't wanna be associated with the President.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1405353180|3713063 said:

But they "the rich Pharmacists " pays most of the taxes... :wink2:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1405354061|3713070 said:
msop04|1405353180|3713063 said:

But they "the rich Pharmacists " pays most of the taxes... :wink2:

Ummm... not rich, but true, I'm not very happy about how much I pay in taxes. I'd be okay with it if it were handled better (wouldn't everyone, right??!!). LOL :lol: :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1405353682|3713066 said:

And if I were a Dem. running for re-election this fall I wouldn't wanna be associated with the President.

Off your meds again?...http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/12/18/3081791/welfare-recipient-spending/

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1405373365|3713220 said:
Dancing Fire|1405353682|3713066 said:

Off your meds again?...http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/12/18/3081791/welfare-recipient-spending/

Deb, This is the funniest part of the article.. :lol:
Still, these programs represent a vital lifeline. Government programs such as SNAP, SSI, housing assistance, cash assistance, and others kept millions out of poverty last year.

Welfare kept millions out of poverty last year, really? ...The only way to get people out of poverty is to create more jobs and not to depend on the welfare system.

Deb, I'd give you a lot of credit for defending the President.. :clap: even though he is doing such a poor job of running the country. His approval ratings have had been dropping every month. You know is bad when PS Liberals will no longer come to his defense... ;)) most Presidents will govern more towards the middle as they get closer to the end of their term, except Obama who is still governing from the far left. I am not a die hard conservative, in fact if I were to vote for President today Hillary would get my vote... ;))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1405388180|3713369 said:
read and weep, DF, read and weep: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...ns-Incomes-6-6-Trillion-Dollars?detail=email#

think of what you and your family could have done with that $48,000........

Thank you for posting the link, MZ. DF quoted into the body of his posting, however, and I thought I should reciprocate. I found what President Bush did with his tax cuts very disturbing. I am very grateful that President Obama came in and rescued the country when he did. Does anyone besides me remember what a mess we were in? That the banks were failing? I remember that time well because my husband was pulled out of his regular job and sent to work for the Treasury Department as part of TARP (Troubled Asset Relief Program)!

Deb/AGBF

"According to an analysis by Pulitzer-Prize winning reporter David Cay Johnston, formerly of the New York Times, the Bush tax cuts, touted as a harbinger of prosperity by the Republican Party, actually robbed each American taxpayer of $48,000 in pre-tax personal income during the twelve years of their existence, for a total of approximately 6.6 trillion dollars.

This is more than enough to pay for every student loan, car loan, and credit card debt in the U.S, while still leaving 2.4 trillion dollars in the pockets of Americans. It is the equivalent of an extra 11 dollars a day lost to each American taxpayer over the last twelve years.

Johnston analyzed rates of long term average personal incomes as reported by American taxpayers from 2000-2012, adjusting for inflation and population growth. His tables are contained in this article:

In 10 of the 12 years when the Bush tax cuts were in effect, the average income shown on tax returns was lower than in 2000. In the two upside years, average income rose modestly, up $504 for 2006 and $1,744 for 2007.

Total those 12 years and the net shortfall per taxpayer comes to $48,010.

He notes that after twelve years of tax cut mania average real hourly wages are now 6% less than they were in 1972-1973.

Less than they were forty years ago. Where did the money go?

Of the total national increase in income in 2012 over 2009, an astonishing one-third went to just 16,000 households, and almost 95 cents of each dollar went to the top 1 percent, while the bottom 90 percent lost ground."

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="AGBF|

Thank you for posting the link, MZ. DF quoted into the body of his posting, however, and I thought I should reciprocate. I found what President Bush did with his tax cuts very disturbing. I am very grateful that President Obama came in and rescued the country when he did. Does anyone besides me remember what a mess we were in? That the banks were failing? I remember that time well because my husband was pulled out of his regular job and sent to work for the Treasury Department as part of TARP (Troubled Asset Relief Program)!

Deb/AGBF

Yes, I remember it well :think: we were in a $6 trillion mess when we hired Obama to fix our problems, but since he became President he have piled on another $11 trillion debt... :wacko: and lets not talk about all the scandals involving his Admin.. :silenced:

Deb, it doesn't look good b/c there are only two PSer liberals here to defense the President. What happened to the other 50 liberals whom were here in 2008 have they all jumped ship?...
sinks.gif
:devil:

Deb, you and me will never see eye to eye politically but I will always love The Mother Teresa of PS... ;))

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and a lot of that debt is a war started by Bush........

I don't think of it as defending Obama, DF, as much as I do think that it is all about getting the facts squared with what really happened...and when.

personally, I think no matter who was elected in 2008 there was no way anyone was going to get us out of the mess of the prior administration's two terms. when the number one priority of the opposition party is to oppose anything Obama does instead of acting for the good of the country, well, things have gone to hell in a way that no matter who is elected next the country is still going to be going down a hellish path.

the real political action is happening in the cities and states. that is where real progress is being made because at that level one really does have to answer to the people.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1405405316|3713493 said:
and a lot of that debt is a war started by Bush........

I don't think of it as defending Obama, DF, as much as I do think that it is all about getting the facts squared with what really happened...and when.

personally, I think no matter who was elected in 2008 there was no way anyone was going to get us out of the mess of the prior administration's two terms. when the number one priority of the opposition party is to oppose anything Obama does instead of acting for the good of the country, well, things have gone to hell in a way that no matter who is elected next the country is still going to be going down a hellish path.

the real political action is happening in the cities and states. that is where real progress is being made because at that level one really does have to answer to the people.
IIRC the Dems had control of both house and senate during the first 2 years of Obama's presidency.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
control does not trump obstruction. we saw this with the Newt Gingrch led group 20 years ago and we saw it with Boehner and crew. what is best for the country was never the objective. the stated objective was to go against anything that Obama was for. the so-called Obama care was merely what Romney instituted in Massachusetts when he was governor. it was the entire wish list as stated by the Republicans prior to 2008. they got what they wanted but because it was coming from Obama they opposed it.

re war debt created by Bush: your great grandchildren will still be saddled with that debt.

eta: and a reminder that I cannot possibly be a liberal because, remember, I have guns............and I would tell you, dear DF, I bought most of them during the Bush years because I found that time to be bat ass crazy re what was being said and done to our civil rights. RIP habeas corpus....you were deliberately murdered by the so-called Patriot Act.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1405437684|3713645 said:
re war debt created by Bush: your great grandchildren will still be saddled with that debt.
And Obama added another $11 trillion since. It is OK to carry a little debt but $17 trillion is out of control. Our country have maxed out all of the CCs in our wallet.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1405437684|3713645 said:
eta: and a reminder that I cannot possibly be a liberal because, remember, I have guns............and I would tell you, dear DF, I bought most of them during the Bush years because I found that time to be bat a$$ crazy re what was being said and done to our civil rights. RIP habeas corpus....you were deliberately murdered by the so-called Patriot Act.

MZ, this made me smile! :bigsmile: ;))

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1405391346|3713414 said:
"According to an analysis by Pulitzer-Prize winning reporter David Cay Johnston, formerly of the New York Times, the Bush tax cuts, touted as a harbinger of prosperity by the Republican Party, actually robbed each American taxpayer of $48,000 in pre-tax personal income during the twelve years of their existence, for a total of approximately 6.6 trillion dollars.
That is only if you assume that they would have rose without the tax cuts and there is no evidence they would have.
There were a lot of other things going on in that time frame other than tax cuts.
You could make just a good a case that they didn't rise because the white house changed brands of TP.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results