shape
carat
color
clarity

Hope all our Kiwis are okay. 8.1 earthquake near NZ, tsunami feared

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All safe and sound here in the South Island. For a change it was the North Island having the shakes! I’ve clearly gotten way too used to the ground staying still because I woke up wondering why the bed was undulating and then was just happy it had stopped :roll2::lol-2: no survival instinct here at all!
Thank you for worrying about us.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you are safe @Daisys and Diamonds @foxinsox @kitten24

I had an emergency evacuation kit during my years in Wellington & I never put sun screen in it. But what a good point - get your creams loaded up!

My first earthquake experience there happened when I was sat in my car at traffic lights on Courtenay Place. The car started rolling & the soft top latching area was creaking & I thought WTH is wrong with my car?? Then I looked up & saw the traffic lights all jiggling around, not like swaying in the wind, but actually jiggling in different directions to each other, and thought sh!t......

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've not been reading nor watching the news so I'm getting them here. :bigsmile:

I am glad everyone at home (kitties and pups included) are safe and sound. @Daisys and Diamonds @foxinsox @kitten24

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like chrono, I got the first news of the earthquakes and possible tsunami in New Zealand from this thread. I am very grateful that all of you are OK, @Daisys and Diamonds, @foxinsox, and @kitten24. I do not understand the geography of New Zealand enough to know why some of you were in more danger than others now, but I am getting the idea that the East is often more dangerous than it was this time.

Is the sun very strong in New Zealand? I don't usually wear sunscreen although I am very fair, because I am rarely outdoors. I know that everyone says one should wear it all the time, but I would never put it into an emergency pack. I always think of items for the cold when I put something into my Jeep, even though we have hot summers here.

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like chrono, I got the first news of the earthquakes and possible tsunami in New Zealand from this thread. I am very grateful that all of you are OK, @Daisys and Diamonds, @foxinsox, and @kitten24. I do not understand the geography of New Zealand enough to know why some of you were in more danger than others now, but I am getting the idea that the East is often more dangerous than it was this time.

Is the sun very strong in New Zealand? I don't usually wear sunscreen although I am very fair, because I am rarely outdoors. I know that everyone says one should wear it all the time, but I would never put it into an emergency pack. I always think of items for the cold when I put something into my Jeep, even though we have hot summers here.
Yes the sun is very strong in NZ - there’s still a hole in the ozone layer over Antarctica so the risk of skin cancer is higher.
NZ is two main islands and the earthquakes that happened yesterday were off the top of the North Island near the Kermadec Trench. This means that if the quake is “just right” in intensity and amplitude, it can move a lot of water out of the trench towards the North Island, hence the tsunami risk. Those of us in the South Island (where I am) are just further away from that risk and there’s other currents and things like that which mean the risk doesn’t apply to us.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes the sun is very strong in NZ - there’s still a hole in the ozone layer over Antarctica so the risk of skin cancer is higher.
NZ is two main islands and the earthquakes that happened yesterday were off the top of the North Island near the Kermadec Trench. This means that if the quake is “just right” in intensity and amplitude, it can move a lot of water out of the trench towards the North Island, hence the tsunami risk. Those of us in the South Island (where I am) are just further away from that risk and there’s other currents and things like that which mean the risk doesn’t apply to us.

You'r so lucky to live down south (i call it the better island) im from Dunedin ...and i never let anyone forget it !
Until we moved to Wanganui i would get so homesick for Otago and Dunedin, but we couldn't afford to buy a house in Dunedin these days, its so sad

Love to my island always

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

That reminds me of some horrible blistery sunburn i got 4x4ing with the top off our jeep
ouch
I found when i went to Moncton in Canada in August (2012 to see Bruce Springsteen)
The day before the concert it was It was so hot, i went for a long walk ....but i never got burnt
I was shocked
I was like bright orange from the heat and the next day just a tiny bit pink
if that had been at home i would have blistered and probably ended up in bed with heat exhaustion and missed the concert

But the northern sun seemed a nurturing gentle kind of heat
Ours just wants to give evrryone skin cancer even on colder days

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've got a lot of family in Tauranga, pretty much all my dad's immediate family live there. They were all pretty nervous as they were in line for a direct hit, my aunt lives by the coast line and they were ready to get in the car and get the hell out if they had to.

The White Island incident is still very fresh in their memories too, the same Aunt's husband was involved in the efforts for that. They're kinda wondering what has been going on in their town in the last few years.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results