carat
color
clarity

Hope all our Kiwis are okay. 8.1 earthquake near NZ, tsunami feared

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 2.45.28 PM.png

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — A powerful magnitude 8.1 earthquake struck Friday in the ocean off New Zealand, prompting thousands of people to evacuate and triggering tsunami warnings across the South Pacific.

The quake was the largest in a series of tremors that hit the region over several hours, including two earlier quakes that registered magnitude 7.4 and magnitude 7.3.

While the quakes triggered warning systems and caused traffic jams and some chaos in New Zealand as people scrambled to get to higher ground, they did not appear to pose a widespread threat to lives or major infrastructure.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its been a scary morning Kenny
thanks for thinking of us.
I know Californians understand

We live on the west coast of the north island but we live on pumis so we feel lots of tiny earthquakes (like high 2s - i kid you not)
We were up at 2am thanks to a fur ball from Borris
It went for ages (the quake not the furball) and Gary had me hold the telly but it wasn't overly strong here just a very long long rattle then a long rumbly roll that made Borris very unhappy
she had wanted to go outside just before it but i thought she wanted a wee so i put here into the guest room with her dirt box
There was a crash and she came running out (it was a Princess Diana plate falling off the china cabinet and a commerative plate of the last King and Queen falling into the Asbedestria
And this morning i couldn't open the Bruce room door because the pile of curtain fabric had fallen in front of it)

But it was a big unwelcome surprise to wake up to all this tsunami sh*t and another 2 earthquakes this morning

We only have a marine warning here in Wanganui here regsrding surges
the police have closed our south beach by the airport

I hope nothing bad happens up north
We have seen and heard about some strange things in coastal rivers and boats behaving weirdly at their moorings and waves have been sighted but so far we are all ok

If anyone has seen the movie Boy (its very good) that's the place that had the first earthauake and is prone to tsunami

Fortunately we have time and we all learnt from watching Japan
Lots of places have been evacuated on the upper half of the East of the North Island

i never thought to put sun screen in an emergency kit
Oh Kenny - you would laugh
they were interviewing a mayor on tv who was going door to door making sure people had evacuated and he had to go because he saw people on his sand dunes ......
I say let tbose people go

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock

We live on the west coast of the north island but we live on pumis so we feel lots of tiny earthquakes (like high 2s - i kid you not)
It went for ages (the quake not the furball) and Gary had me hold the telly but it wasn't overly strong here just a very long long rattle then a long rumbly roll that made Borris very unhappy
she had wanted to go outside just before it but i thought she wanted a wee so i put here into the guest room with her dirt box
There was a crash and she came running out (it was a Princess Diana plate falling off the china cabinet and a commerative plate of the last King and Queen falling into the Asbedestria
And this morning i couldn't open the Bruce room door because the pile of curtain fabric had fallen in front of it)

But it was a big unwelcome surprise to wake up to all this tsunami sh*t and another 2 earthquakes this morning

We have seen and heard about some strange things in coastal rivers and boats behaving weirdly at their moorings and waves have been sighted but so far we are all ok

If anyone has seen the movie Boy (its very good) that's the place that had the first earthauake and is prone to tsunami

Lots of places have been evacuated on the upper half of the East of the North Island

they were interviewing a mayor on tv who was going door to door making sure people had evacuated and he had to go because he saw people on his sand dunes ......

Stay safe...Prayers for your family and fur baby.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whew.
Glad you and yours are okay. :dance:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wishing you all the best.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know Californians understand ...

Yes I know well the feeling of the earth shaking violently under my feet and over my head in a building.
For me there is nothing more attention-getting and disturbing.
Of course it's my ... uhm ... fault for living so close to where two of the earth's 7 plates meet, rub, slip, and collide.

They say we are overdue for a big one, and America's infrastructure suffers from decades of neglect.
Our lovely government prefers to spend zillions on fear-based crap like bombs and walls than maintain bridges and roads. :doh:

8.1 is huge.
Hope you have little or no damage to your property and indeed to your country's infrastructure.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honest we are fine here and we live on a hill up and back from our river
Thank you everyone
your well wishes are most appreated

On tv they are saying that the sea is looking like a washing machine in places but its probably up north we need to worry about the most, some of those places are isolated with no cell phone coverage and no wifi but communities are looking out for each other

We have had time on our side so everyone should be safe

All the big exspensive yatchs and boats have had time to get out to sea and school kids are all safe
they are saying its a serouse risk and its frustrating but we have to just sit and be patient
A mayor is on tv urging people who don't want to leave please do so

Now a 6.2 (after shock?) In the kermadecs - the good news is no dept of conservation staff were on those uninhibited islands

im thinking about the farm animals

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I know well the feeling of the earth shaking violently under my feet and over my head in a building.
For me there is nothing more attention-getting and disturbing.
I guess it's my ... uhm ... fault for moving close to where two of the earth's 7 plates meet and collide.

8.1 is big.
Hope you have little or no damage to your property and indeed to your country's infrastructure.

I don't know how we would afford another major crisis right now but we would somehow find a way like we did with Christchurch
We have the best neighbours here, our brothers and sisters from across the Tasman would come to help us again

most of our big metropolitan cities only have marine warnings so we should be ok

what you said about living with earthquakes, im not sure we would have brought here in Wanganui east if we knew we would feel them so frequently but the old girl has good strong and flexible woodern bones, she must have felt a lot over her lifetime - Gary thinks all our floor boards will have loose nails
I watch tv from the UK and think no way i would live in a house made of stone or brick, or on one with no foundations !

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stay Safe Daisies and Diamonds. I was just talking about this possibility recently as I live in an earthquake zone myself. You have more fortitude than I would have! Please keep safe and I hope all this stops soon.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I read about this at work during lunch...I gasped! Safety to our friends across the miles!!!

kind regards--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stay Safe Daisies and Diamonds. I was just talking about this possibility recently as I live in an earthquake zone myself. You have more fortitude than I would have! Please keep safe and I hope all this stops soon.

Do you have sunscreen in your emergency kit ?
I never thought of that before

i guess we just had a huge practice drill
i keep thinking of all those people in Japan who didn't have time
I think of those people often and wonder how the survivors and family members are getting on 10 years latter

Anyway thank you all
Your thoughts and prayers are most appreated and they worked

i had a sleep once the all clear was given, although i think the beaches might still be off limits for the next 24 hours

we have had a very lucky escape today
and the powers at be can look at how we responded and reacted and tweek things
traffic management was a bit of a worry in places

kitten24

Rough_Rock
All good here in the Hawkes Bay. It's been a long day and we did have a tsunami warning for our city after the 3rd earthquake but have had the all clear this afternoon.

It lasted ages and was very loud before the shaking started but no damage to our place. Friends in Auckland are paying attention to evacuation information but seem pretty good about it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
All good here in the Hawkes Bay. It's been a long day and we did have a tsunami warning for our city after the 3rd earthquake but have had the all clear this afternoon.

It lasted ages and was very loud before the shaking started but no damage to our place. Friends in Auckland are paying attention to evacuation information but seem pretty good about it.

Im glad you were ok Kitten
we are in Wanganui so not so much of a threat for us but we were glued to the telly worried about you all out east
I hope we all sleep better tonight

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, but I'm not offended in any sense.
I just notice what makes sense, and what does not.

Please carry on, as will I.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Stay safe Daisys and Diamonds & kitten24. I hope that is the last of it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results