shape
carat
color
clarity

Honorary MOH checking in...what should I wear?

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
SO! My MOH got quickie-city-hall-married to her boyfriend like 6-8 weeks after my wedding (we got married in November, they got married in January), but gave no one any notice, and because she was out of town, we never got to celebrate with her. BUUUUT she told me YESTERDAY that now they are planning on having a wedding party on 4th of July weekend! SO FUN!

It will be super casual, but planning a wedding in less than 2 months will be stressful no matter what the size...I live in NYC, she lives in DC and she is getting married in upstate NY, so we are far away from everything, including each other!

The ceremony will be like a renewal of vows, and more personal than the legal wedding they had in the winter, but I''m not sure if she wants me to stand up with her during the ceremony or whatever...and she doesn''t have a particular preference as to what I should wear...AT ALL! Haha, not a helpful bride
2.gif

No color prefs or anything...all I know is that the ceremony will be outside, so it will be warm, and then we''re having a semi-casual dinner. I can''t spend a lot, but I''d love to get something new. What do you guys think? Any ideas?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m no good at describing clothes, but I''ll try.

An elegant (but not too fancy) summer type dress. Not too short, not too long (knee length+ or maybe ankle length). Maybe flowered but not overly flowery.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
If you like more unusual stuff check out modcloth.com. There''s tons of dresses on that site that would work for something like this and you can search by price. Small runs on most of it but they post new dresses every day!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
If you''re not sure if you''ll be standing up with her or not, I''d probably go with a plain dress (as in, no print). Maybe a fancier cotton?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
So fun!!

How about this Old Navy dress? Paired with heels, jewelry and an up do would be beautiful! And the price is awesome!

This JCrew number is an actual bridesmaid dress but on sale!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Do you know where upstate? This might be too dressy, but it''s cute. Ann Taylor

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I would go for a simple, solid sundress in a fun but not too bright color. Something like this from ModCloth would fit the bill!

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
If you live in NYC, you can drop by the Ann Taylor store on 48th & 5th. They have the dresses boutique downstairs and you can always get great sales if you sign up for their emails (right now 25% off). I got my bridesmaids their dresses there on sale for $65 each--quite a deal for something in silk! Totally recommended.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
You girls ROCK! Thank you so much for your input!

I have to say, I''ve never bought from Mod Cloth, but I love almost every single solitary dress they have on there--I could seriously sit and daydream about buying the entire website all dayyyyy! I especially love that dress you posted, vc10um, and so does the bride!! Has anyone purchased from Mod Cloth before? I have a difficult body shape (pear, ugh) and I am curious how they work their returns just in case...

Oh, and it''s going to be in Buffalo. I''ve never been, but DH went to Syracuse for college and was in Buffalo relatively often, so he is excited to show me around
1.gif

zipzapgirl, thanks for the idea on Ann Taylor--I actually work VERY close to that Ann Taylor, so I will check it out!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Love that dress that VC posted! I think it would work well with a pear shape too since its fitted on top and less so on the bottom. You''ll be adorable in it!

Mini thread-jack- Did you ever find a setting for your aqua? I''ve been dying to know!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, Claritek!!

I think you''re right about the dress--I have a LOT of dresses with that shape and they seem to work well for me...I might buy it if it''s still around next week (read: after payday, haha)...

Aaaand I''m still working on the aqua setting--I only just picked up my aqua from my parents last weekend (I''m very happy with it!!!), and I''d like to see some settings in person before I make a decision, but I have been in touch with danielm--they are SOOO nice!--and it''s very likely I''ll be asking them to do a custom setting for me, on your advice! I really think their work is lovely!! Thanks for asking
9.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Oh I''m so glad, alli! I haven''t purchased from ModCloth before, but I know ladyciel has, and I''ve sent her a message off-forum so hopefully she''ll come check in and let you know!

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
I've purchased from Modcloth many, many times - their returns are easy. You do have to pay for shipping though. They include very detailed instructions for returns on the back of the receipt that comes with the box.

The only time I've made them send me a shipping label was when they sent me the completely wrong pair of shoes, which they provided without any argument or fuss.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never heard of ModCloth before - now I''m bound to spend an hour tonight dreaming on their website :)

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2010 9:31:53 PM
Author: Maevie
I''ve never heard of ModCloth before - now I''m bound to spend an hour tonight dreaming on their website :)
That''s a new one for me too!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2010 5:20:32 PM
Author: alli_esq
Hi, Claritek!!

I think you''re right about the dress--I have a LOT of dresses with that shape and they seem to work well for me...I might buy it if it''s still around next week (read: after payday, haha)...

Aaaand I''m still working on the aqua setting--I only just picked up my aqua from my parents last weekend (I''m very happy with it!!!), and I''d like to see some settings in person before I make a decision, but I have been in touch with danielm--they are SOOO nice!--and it''s very likely I''ll be asking them to do a custom setting for me, on your advice! I really think their work is lovely!! Thanks for asking
9.gif

Glad you love the aqua! Good idea to get some ideas in person before you go pursuing a custom job. Glad to hear communication is going well with Dan!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results