shape
carat
color
clarity

Honeymoon

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
So, FI and I are trying to figure out where to go for our honeymoon.

I know you guys travel a lot so I wanted some suggestions.

Originally, we wanted to do a baseball stadium tour where we would go to different cities and see different teams play. We both are lovers of baseball and over the years we have tried to go to as many different stadiums as possible. Realistically speaking, we won't be able to do it because FI wouldn't be able to get off enough time from work. So, onto the next idea.

I'm not sure how much we're willing to spend yet (entirely up to FI at this point) and I know its an important piece of info but I'd like suggestions anyway.

-We can get 10 days off max for the trip.
-We would go in either December or May but more likely December.
-We would prefer to go somewhere warm.
-We are very big nightlife people and while I enjoy staying at resorts, I have noticed that a lot of them just don't offer what we are into.
-We really like areas with different types of bars, lots of shopping, and most importantly TONS of restaurants.
-A beach is necessary.

We have been to Playa del Carmen, Mexico multiple times because its the only place that seems to meet the 'criteria' above but I *know* there has got to be other places. I wouldn't complain if we were to go there again...we really love it there, I just think it would be nice to go somewhere new as newlyweds.

Any ideas?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We honeymooned in St. John and it was AMAZING. It's a really beautiful island, 75% of it is a forest preserve, and the beaches are gorgeous. We ate very well while we were there, and had a great time going out at night. There weren't a lot of nightclubs, per say, but there were enough people out and about at night that we managed to stay out very late most nights.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We stayed at the Westin St. John:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...llas-Cruz_Bay_St_John_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

We stayed in a deluxe beach front room and it was divine. St. John is a really small island, so as long as you're in the general region of Cruz Bay, you're going to be near the action. When we were there they had these little open air taxis that shuttled you to and from the resort to the main shopping area all day long.

Caneel Bay was another really nice resort. I'm sure there are many gorgeous places to stay there, but we didn't spend much time looking at the hotels, to be honest.

I can't imagine going to St. John and NOT loving it. Seriously, it's amazing.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I really wanted to go to the Caribbean, but my husband didn't want to leave the country, so we went to the Florida Keys. We flew into Miami and drove down to Key West, where we stayed for most of the trip. We went skydiving and snuba diving, ate at a lot of great restaurants, got a couples massage, and had a great time. On the way back, we took a brief stop in Key Largo to swim with dolphins at Dolphins Plus. Just one thing - I wouldn't advise going in the summer, since it was ridiculously hot and humid in mid-May when we went.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you checked out puerto Vallarta Mexico?? We loved the dreams resort (secluded beach, amazing food, quick cab ride to the downtown with clubs and the malecon) it's not the dreams resort villa----- it's the other one :)

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
The two which came to mind instantly with your beach/nightlife reqs. were Florida Keys+Miami, or Brazil (Rio).

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
fleur-de-lis|1314767819|3006075 said:
The two which came to mind instantly with your beach/nightlife reqs. were Florida Keys+Miami, or Brazil (Rio).

Ditto on Rio, really anywhere in Latin America. December is the perfect time to go.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1314760071|3006009 said:
Have you checked out puerto Vallarta Mexico?? We loved the dreams resort (secluded beach, amazing food, quick cab ride to the downtown with clubs and the malecon) it's not the dreams resort villa----- it's the other one :)

Hey Amy!

I have not yet looked at Puerto Vallarta but I have heard of many good things.

I spoke with FI today and he is leaning towards Playa and suggested that we can stay in a nicer hotel than we typically do and also take a trip to Belize at some point during our stay. The plus side to going to Playa is that cozumel is a 20 minute ferry ride so we can go there for a few nights too.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Fleur and Central, thank you! I will definitely look into both of those.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

The other thing that's nice about the Florida Keys is that the trip isn't that long from the Northeast, so you would have more time to enjoy your honeymoon since you wouldn't spend that much time stuck on a plane. That was key for us since we only had 5 days. Also, no passports required!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1314771879|3006108 said:

The other thing that's nice about the Florida Keys is that the trip isn't that long from the Northeast, so you would have more time to enjoy your honeymoon since you wouldn't spend that much time stuck on a plane. That was key for us since we only had 5 days. Also, no passports required!

If you don't mind, could you tell me what hotel you stayed at?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I've never been to Miami but it is definitely out.

I have a friend who owns a condo on South Beach so the option is there anytime and we would only go to Miami with said friend because he has a lot of good connections in the city...I'm gonna start searching hotels for the Keys :)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
We got married in St. Thomas and go back about every 2 years. Lots of shopping (jewelry,jewelry, jewelry!!!!!!) There have been many nice restaurants, but unfortunately 3 of our favorites have closed within the last few months. Some nightlife-you need to have a car. We always stay at the Ritz Carlton and have been upgraded several times to their Presidential Suite.Beautiful resort,lots of walking. . We always take the ferry to St John for a day,too. St John is beautiful, but a lot more quiet than St. Thomas. We will be going back next month so will see if anything has changed within the last couple of years.
Congrats and best wishes on your upcoming wedding!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results