shape
carat
color
clarity

Honeymoon woes! (longish read)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if the Honeymoon Gods are conspiring against us or what...

One of the first things we did after we got engaged was to plan the Honeymoon. I seriously think that we were more excited about that than tasting cake or picking out flowers. Call us crazy- we just LOVE to travel.

We set up a couple of "ground rules": no more than 7 hours travel time, the locale had to be somewhere neither of us had been, sand and surf prefered, posh but comfortable, had excellent reviews for service, was not touristy or popular, and a Starwood Resort would be a huge bonus (i have a ton of points and am a platinum preferred guest)

We found what we were looking for in Mexico at the El Careyes Beach Resort: http://www.elcareyesresort.com/ We LOVED the fact that people would say "where?" when we told them where we were going. We booked the hotel and airline/car for our early October Honeymon back in January.

I was surfing the Careyes forums on tripadvisor the other day (AWESOME SITE!- http://www.tripadvisor.com/ ) and came across a posting titled "El Careyes to close for upgrade" written by this American guy who lives part of the time in the area and is a local expert. The story is that the resort is scheduled to close in August, and could extend into late September. One other gal on the forum is supposed to be there a bit later than us, and she called the resort directly and was told that the closure/upgrade is true. However, I cannot seem to confirm this information with anyone at Starwood. I've called them a couple of times, and they have no notes on the property, and they can't seem to get anyone on the phone at the resort that can back this "rumor" up. I'm sure you're asking why I don't call the resort directly myself, and I just haven't been able to do so, but my mother will tomorrow as she's fluent in spanish and will find out what's up.

As if that wasn't enough, I get an email from Expedia this past weekend requesting that I contact them immediately as there's been a severe change to my itinerary. Originally, we were supposed to leave at 11:55p on Sunday (the day after the wedding) for Mexico City and then connect to Manzanillo around 8-9a. Turns out that United will be stopping the red-eye to Mexico City in a month or two- that flight will no longer exist. So they ended up re-routing us thru Chicago (HELLO, I LIVE IN L.A!!). We arrive in MexCty 6 hours after our connection to Manzanillo departs. UGH. So now I'm trying to re-work our reservation, but pickings are slim, and the ticket prices have almost doubled. Good thing is that we could fly into Puerto Vallarta- the drive is a bit longer than Manzanillo (1.5hrs vs 45m), but it's doable.

Anyway, sorry for the short novel and the rambling. I'm at my wits end and just wanted to share!

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chargergirl,

Man, sorry to hear about all of the inconvenient changes!

On a positive note, at least Expedia called you and let you know there will be major changes ahead. When FI and I were travelling through Mexico city a similar thing happened and we were stranded there for awhile, missed connectors, and it was miserable. Viva la Mexico!

At least you can plan around it, even though it will cost more.

Bueno Suerte!
41.gif

Tracy

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, sorry about the mess! I hope you''re able to get in touch with the resort soon and get things straightened out. You would think that they would be contacting people whose reservations would be affected, but I guess you never know. Hope things turn out OK.

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Awww, that bites! I don''t have any advice but just wanted to say that I''m sending you good luck vibes!
1.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Man that sucks. The good thing is it sounds like your flexible enough with your plans that you can pick another place.

To make you feel better (or at least not so alone), let me share a couple of honeymoon probs me and my best man had (got married a month apart).

Mine: Was supposed to go on a cruise to the Caribbean. Hurricane Wilma hit. Fort Lauderdale was inaccessible the week before my wedding. The airport didn''t open until 3 days before the wedding. Port didn''t open until 2 days before. That was some unnecessary stress (stupid hotel double booked our ceremony site so we were worrying about the wedding at the same time). Plus, the cruise had a large group of large, hairy gay men that was hosted by a **** video company catering to that crowd and it was Halloween. I was a bit apprehensive as to what I''d have to see involuntarily. (Turns out, they were quite nice and as respectful as can be expected.)

Best Man: Missed his international flight to his cruise due to various airport/airplane problems. Spent a good chunk of his honeymoon traipsing all over Europe trying to catch his cruise ship. Afterwards, had to trek all over Spain looking for a hotel cuz some event was happening which booked up everything.

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
CG I''m so sorry to hear about this! Yuck!!

Can you get a refund from Expedia? If so, I''d take the money and go straight to a travel agent. My husband got stuck in Paris when he missed a connection once and b/c he booked on Orbitz, the airline (Air France, I believe) would not put him on another flight, citing the fact that he booked the flight on Orbitz. Then he called Orbitz who told him that he needed to talk to the airline. He was at his wits end, getting the run-around from both sides saying it wasn''t there problem.

That''s why I suggest abandoning Expedia now b/c if you end up with problem during travel, at least with a travel agent you''ll have a human being who will work to fix your problem.

Have you found an alternate location in case Cayeres is going to be closed? It doesn''t sound like you want to reschedule the timing of the honeymoon. SOunds like you''ll need a "PLan B"!

Good luck!!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ChargerGrrl,

Sorry to hear about the plans, but it''s good that you are finding out all this now.

I was in Mexico (Cabo San Lucas) a long long time ago...and I think that August is their off season. This my be why they are schedule for renovation during this time. I think that''s when the hurricanes come through. At least that''s when the hurricane hit when we were there, and it wasn''t fun. No power for days in hot humid weather. Make sure to check out the weather for that part of Mexico during this time of year.

I live in Los Angelese too. You can''t go wrong with Hawaii, but I bet you''ve both been there?

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I dunno about hurricanes. I was told Mexico (the west coast) was popular for honeymoons in the summer cuz they don''t get hurricanes like the Caribbeans/Bahamas/Gulf of Mexico.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hey Guys- THANKS much for all the advice & support. We''re keeping our options open until we can confirm what''s going on with the resort. My mom was supposed to have called them today, so hopefully I''ll know what''s up soon.

On a positive note, the airline tixs should be refundable- at least that''s what expedia is telling me. I have to go thru United for that, so we''ll see what they say!

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
aw I''m so sorry to hear about your bad luck so far!! I''m sure that ya''ll can work through it and find another wonderful place to celebrate being married!

BTW...I looked at the website for the resort in Mexico and it looked very nice. Do you mind me asking around how much you were planning on spending there for your honeymoon? I also think that the Destination Wedding info looks so beautiful! I will def have to keep this place in mind with the times come with me and my FF...
1.gif

good luck!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 9:42:02 PM
Author: RoseAngel04
aw I''m so sorry to hear about your bad luck so far!! I''m sure that ya''ll can work through it and find another wonderful place to celebrate being married!

BTW...I looked at the website for the resort in Mexico and it looked very nice. Do you mind me asking around how much you were planning on spending there for your honeymoon? I also think that the Destination Wedding info looks so beautiful! I will def have to keep this place in mind with the times come with me and my FF...
1.gif

good luck!
THANKS, RoseAngel!

Regarding the cost- We''re there for 5 nights, and I was lucky to be able to use my Starwood points for 3 nights. The rate for the remaining 2 days was something like $225/night.

I hadn''t checked out the DW info until now- it looks gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results