shape
carat
color
clarity

Honeymoon Right After Wedding or Later?

paris29

Shiny_Rock
Because FF and I are both full time students, I'm starting grad school in a few weeks and he is finishing his BA, we don't have a lot of time off, especially at the same time. Our wedding date is Jan. 1, 2011 and we both go back to school Jan 3rd, so we were going to go on our honeymoon during the summer. When do you plan on having your honeymoon, directly after the wedding or later?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Our wedding is October 1, 2011. Since it is an accelerated BSN program there are no breaks at all so I'll be finishing up my BSN a few months after the wedding and then we'll go on our honeymoon.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Right now it is looking like we'll go later. At some point after the wedding, but before I start work, he'll be quitting his job to move with me, so we're thinking that would be a great time. The honeymoon should be a pretty long trip (a few years ago at an auction I won a 21-day trip to Asia) so that'll require a fair amount of time and planning!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
We waited just longer than 2 months to take our two week honeymoon.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
We're not sure yet. Our wedding is half way across the country from where we live, so we won't be home until the Tuesday following our Sunday ceremony. We may leave as early as that Friday, but I'll also be finishing up a very complex review process at my job about a week before we get married, and some of that review may need to spill over into the week directly following the wedding. So that may affect when we take our honeymoon as well. I should have a better handle on that about the time we need to book our honeymoon. But I doubt we'll wait longer than a few weeks...we're looking forward to it so much I don't know if we could put it off more than a couple weeks!

nicoleben

Shiny_Rock
paris29 said:
Because FF and I are both full time students, I'm starting grad school in a few weeks and he is finishing his BA, we don't have a lot of time off, especially at the same time. Our wedding date is Jan. 1, 2011 and we both go back to school Jan 3rd, so we were going to go on our honeymoon during the summer. When do you plan on having your honeymoon, directly after the wedding or later?

Depending on how much we save for the wedding in the next year. We want 150 people, so a reception would cost roughly about 10,000. We have a credit card where we earn 1.25 miles per dollar we spend, so we plan on using those miles to go for our honeymoon to Greece, which would mean we would not have to pay for the flight, which is amazing! So hopefully, right after we get married, but if we have to wait, I am perfectly fine with that!

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
I have always imagined going on the honeymoon straight after the wedding i.e the next day. However I guess it also depends where you are going for your honeymoon, you might prefer to wait till the climate/season is better in the honeymoon location.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
We got married in February and went to Hawaii for 10 days on our honeymoon in August. We weren't able to go right after the wedding because I had school and my husband couldn't take off from work, so we had to wait 6 months. I'm *SO* happy we waited - it gave us time to settle in after the wedding and plan the perfect honeymoon. After the wedding we were so tired and if we had gone away right away we wouldn't have been able to fully enjoy it. We had 6 months to plan our perfect honeymoon and 6 months to focus on it and get really excited! ;))

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I always imagined going right away, immediately after the wedding- but we will have family coming in from out-of-state, so we will probably wait a few days to a week or so. Of course, we don't even know where we want to go yet, so nothing is set in stone.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
I'd love to do it right after the wedding to really be able to extend the celebrations, but I'm not not sure if it will be possible. I get a decent amount of vacation days but will be using a good number just for the wedding. I honestly may have to start saving up days now and we aren't even engaged yet. In addition, I'm in school part time so I'd have to work around class schedules as well and since i take classes in the summer too I really only have about 2 months off from classes over the entire year and not in the most convenient times.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a LIW anymore, but we waited a full year to take our official honeymoon.

We were married August of last year in the Dominican Republic and we are leaving Friday for our 10-day trip to India and the Maldives. It will be both our official honeymoon and our 1st year anniversary.

Sometimes, it's not possible to go on a honeymoon right after the wedding. At least it wasn't for us. We had to go back to work and it's always hard for us to find a babysitter for his kids for longer than a long weekend. I don't think it takes anything away from your honeymoon once you do get away from it all!

Besides, that gives you time to savor that process and really look forward to it as well! Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We honeymooned right after our wedding. I think we left two days after, though, not the exact next day. It was perfect because we were able to attend the after wedding brunches that both sides held for out of town guests, and to calmly pack our things once the hectic wedding preparation was all said and done. We went to St. John in the USVI for ten days, it was heaven.

We were married in July. I'm a teacher and DH owns his own business, and we usually take a two week vacation in the summer so it fit right in to our schedules.

Alienor

Rough_Rock
Ha, I personally got married on December 31, 2007 and still haven't had a honeymoon with the hubby. Our jobs at the time were going nuts for us taking just two days off. Then time went by and we have been working hard on paying debts. I am hoping in 2012 though. :)
Just do what makes you happy and what you can afford according to your finances! :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're leaving for ours (two weeks in greece!!!! :bigsmile: ) two days after the wedding.

I originally wanted some two weeks downtime between, I *always* get sick when I'm with lots of people - somehow I always manage to shake hands with or hug the one person with the flu - but some of the tours we wanted to do apparently wouldn't have been available if we'd waited. So I'm taking mulitvitamins and planning to make good use of the purell and hoping for the best!

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
When I got married, the months leading up to the wedding were insane and tremendously stressful. Upon talking to a lot of friends that had gotten married, it seemed the majority of them had spent the first few days of the honeymoon sleeping or getting caught up on rest that had been absent in the planning process. We talked about it and decided to take the Monday after the wedding weekend off to sleep in and unpack gifts, ect. We went on our honeymoon 2 weeks after the wedding and it was great. Not only were we fully rested and able to REALLY enjoy everything the trip had to offer but it also gave us something to look forward to. You have this great amount of time planning and looking forward to your wedding and then all of a sudden, it is over!! It is kind of sad once it is done, lol. Don't get me wrong, you are elated to be married but you had this huge thing that you looked forward to for so long and then BAM!! Its gone. So? I loved the space and given the opportunity, I will repeat the same thing. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results