shape
carat
color
clarity

honeymoon registries?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
we just got our honeymoon confirmation papers from our travel agent this weekend. in the papers, the agent makes note that we can now register for our honeymoon free of charge from an online website. we''ve looked into it and we are certainly curious about it.

anyone have any good or bad luck with registering for their honeymoon? or is it in bad taste?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My best friend was previously married and so had a lot of stuff and didn''t really need to register for more. She didn''t feel comfortable doing a ''honeymoon registry'' via a website (I also don''t know if that was an option 3 years ago) so as her MOH, on the shower invites, I said that she was registered at whatever store, or alternatively, would welcome donations to their honeymoon fund. Since she wasn''t registered for a lot of stuff at the store, I believe they got quite a bit of cash for the honeymoon (or whatever else they spent it on as well!) from the shower, as well as the wedding. It was a good way to spread the word without her asking for it herself.

I don''t think that setting up a honeymoon registry is weird at all. If they don''t want to contribute, they can get you something you can return later.
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh MAN ... that is SO what we want to do ... registering for the honeymoon that is ... but so many of those online places look fishy. I have NO IDEA who to trust.

Also ... I think you have to guarantee you''ll pay for the major items even if they''re not purchased (so you kinda have to register for one you know you can afford anyway.)

Sounds like you''re in a different boat though -- in that you''ve picked/booked everything. I''m just not sure if I trust any of those online places to actually pony up the "gift cash" afterwards ... and what % would go to fees?

On the "tacky'' issue --- I dunno. Other less desperate, wanna-do-it-myself-fellow-brides are probably better judges
3.gif
. It would be PERFECT for us, we have a small house with two households worth of stuff crammed into it already. NO STUFF PLEASE. And there''s NO POLITE way to suggest CASHOLA. Personally, I''d prefer NO GIFTS to MORE STUFF.
2.gif

Lemmie know what ya find out. If we pick a place first, I''ll holla...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i was chatting this last weekend with my FSIL''s and the topic of registries came up. one was very very against cash gifts. but, they both said the honeymoon registery idea was good. they actually brought the idea up. one of them recently attended a wedding where they registered online for their honeymoon.

either way, i wouldn''t be asking for gifts myself. but that info will be relied to the BM''s and family members when/if asked. it may or may not be included in the shower invites depending on what the MOH decides to do.

yes deco, the HM is already decided and nearly paid for. what i can do is go on an online honeymoon registery site and set up dollar amounts for specific things such as a dinner, sunset sail, massage, etc. i assume that guests would then go to the site, search our names and select which they want to contribute to, select it and mail a check. the online company takes 10% for their services. we can decide if the 10% is added on top of the guest''s amount or if it''s deducted from. you can look at the % as tax. or gift wrapping. or shipping.

again, assuming here... i don''t think that it matters what we decide we want to select on the website. the services, accomodations, etc don''t matter. a check will be written and accepted regardless. the website also doesn''t arrange anything. they don''t set up the meal reservations or the sunset sail or whatever. i think it''s just a front for guests to feel like they are donating for a specific thing, but really their money will just go into a "honeymoon fund." so it''s just like receiving cash?

now, like i''ve said, most of this just my assumtion. if the site that was recommended by our travel agent does work this way, i am sure there may be others that don''t??

that''s why i was wondering if anyone had any experiences with these sites so that maybe they could shed some light on the situation?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
anyone else with honeymoon registry insight?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results