shape
carat
color
clarity

Honeymoon decisions.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Given a budget of $3k for our honeymoon the first week of September (aka: hurricaine season in the carrib. where we want to go), would you PSers choose:

1) 9 nights, 4 star, all-inclusive in Mexico but have the possiblity of a hurricaine ruin your plans

or

2) 5 nights, 4 star, all-inclusive in Aruba and have a virtual guarantee of good weather?

Basically, longer but more risk or shorter but less risk?

September8

Rough_Rock
Have you considered the Pacific side of Mexico??

Puerto Vallarta is Beautiful!! been there twice, would go back in a heartbeat! You don''t get the crystal blue water like in the carribean side, but the town is charming and fun. As an all inclusive, i can highly reccomend the RIU Jalisco too!

Where in mexico are you thinking of going?

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Could you get hurricane insurance?

If you went to the W. Coast of Mexico hurricanes wouldn''t be a problem would they?

Have you considered Belize?

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
haha.....sounds like PSers like LONGER vacas WITH good weather assurances :) lol

i will check the western side of mexico out...

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
The pacific side of Mexico got pummeled this year didnt it??? It was a rough year for Pacific hurricanes...

I would go for the 9 nights in mexico.. and try and purchase some travel insurance. Weather predicters (I know I know.. how reliable are they) are saying they think we may be in a down swing for hurricanes... that might give you some peace of mind...

Hope that helps!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
oh my goodness.........puerto vallarta has some GREAT prices.......and for TEN nights all inclusive, too...........all lower than 3k........!!!!

is jaders correct.......they had a pacific-style hurricaine??

September8

Rough_Rock
found this on google:

Even during the rainy season the temperature remains warm. And don’t worry about hurricanes. Puerto Vallarta is known as a "hurricane hole", a place where the big winds seldom blow because of the Sierra Madre Mountain Range that surrounds the bay. The open end of the Bay faces west. This makes it a natural barrier against hurricanes of the Pacific Ocean. Puerto Vallarta offers the most stable water and weather conditions of the entire pacific seaboard.

also saw something that said vallarta has only had 1 hurricane in 35 years

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
So_Happy...

25 storms of Tropical Depression or greater, 19 named storms, 11 of which were hurricanes... all in the pacific

Not sure what landfall there was.. but I know several caused damage...

ETA: Looks like most of the landfall centered around Acapulco and Baja... so maybe P.V. would be safe!!! Awesome!

cara

Ideal_Rock
PV was hit by a hurricane in 02 and suffered some damage; while it might offer a sheltered harbor with less danger of dying on your HM from a storm surge, it still would be quite unfortunate weather. Are you in search of hot and humid? That looks like what PV will have then. Does Aruba have dry heat or will it also be humid? (Why is Aruba safe from hurricanes?)

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Cara: Aruba is about 100 miles south of the hurricaine belt and thus has very little rainfall at all per year (about 18 inches per YEAR!), and almost no chance of getting hit with one. It is also quite dry due to most of its land being of dessert variety :) We''ve been there before....its gorgeous and warm and not really humid at all. We love it but it would be more expensive....we''d have to come up with an extra $1k to go there for a week it looks like.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 6:21:36 PM
Author: So_happy
We''ve been there before...
Personally I think it''s exciting to go someplace *new* for your honeymoon- it''s a new adventure!

I have heard that Curacao and Bonaire are both outside of the hurricane belt like Aruba, you might have to search a little more to find an all-inclusive there, but I love that they are a little more off-the-beaten path.

Also it seems like Grenada would fall below the H-Belt as well, and I have heard that it has some fabulous resorts.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I looked into Curacao, Bonaire, Trinidad etc but the flights to those places were 17 hours each way!!! Even the most expensive flights
7.gif
I was shocked at that and would not consider traveling for that long unless we were stepping off an airplane and seeing China or Austrailia instead! lol.

Because we''ve cruised 3 times in the past, and always tried to get different intineraies, we have technically been to almost every island in the carrib so finding someplace new will be hard :) We were in Aruba for a whole day (wow!) and loved it and really wouldn''t mind going back there. The truly new places for us WOULD be Australia or Tahiti or Hawaii but those places are very much outside of our budget so we are happy to plunk down at a beautiful all-inclusive in the carib somewhere and not stress about paying any more money for anything (especially after the wedding and all it''s money-draining components!!).

If I had two weeks off, I''d go to Spain :)..........I studied abroad there one summer during my Undergrad years and I love it there.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 6:32:47 PM
Author: dtnyc

Personally I think it''s exciting to go someplace *new* for your honeymoon- it''s a new adventure!

I have heard that Curacao and Bonaire are both outside of the hurricane belt like Aruba, you might have to search a little more to find an all-inclusive there, but I love that they are a little more off-the-beaten path.

Also it seems like Grenada would fall below the H-Belt as well, and I have heard that it has some fabulous resorts.
I totally agree with this!

My vote is for the Pacific side Mexico. We went to a FABULOUS resort about 3 hours south of Puerto Vallarta. Yep, it was a drive- but it was well worth it. Total seclusion and relaxation!

Google El Careyes Beach Resort to check it out.

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
Ok.... (man.. I should be a walking advertisement for turks and caicos LOL)

How about Turks and Caicos?

Caribbean? check
Hurricanes? not so much...
Secluded? check (cruise ships didnt start coming here till this year.. and not on the main island of Provo)
Short trip? check... 1 hr and 15 min. flight from miami...

Just a thought.. I hope you gals dont think I'm a peddler for this country.. LOL.. I'm not... just happens to be a GREAT honeymoon destination...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We went to Rivera Maya the last week of August and had a great time! Our travel agent suggested it over Aruba. Can't remember why though.

ETA: we had perfect weather.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
You *could* save some money also. We spent a week at an all inclusive in R. Maya (direct flights included) for $2,000. That might help with all the other things you are over budget on.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Check into the Guancaste region of Costa Rica- it's the N.W. coastal region.

You can fly from many cities directly into Liberia. We did several parts of Costa Rica and LOVED it for our honeymoon. Gorgeous beaches, friendly people, dollar goes far and LOTS to do if you want to get off the beach (zip line canopy tours, volcanoes, etc.)

Friends of ours honeymooned here- it's all-inclusive and supposed to be fantastic-

http://www.solmelia.com/solNew/hoteles/jsp/C_Hotel_Description.jsp?codigoHotel=5891

ETA- our honeymoon was over Labor Day weekend, and it's the Green Season then in CR, but the Guancaste region is the driest region of CR, so while were were there (4 days @ the 4 Seasons truly excellent!) it rained once. During the high season in the Guancaste region it's very, very dry and all of the trees lose their leaves. It was absolutely stunning while we were there. I really want to go back!

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 7:16:35 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl

I totally agree with this!

My vote is for the Pacific side Mexico. We went to a FABULOUS resort about 3 hours south of Puerto Vallarta. Yep, it was a drive- but it was well worth it. Total seclusion and relaxation!

Google El Careyes Beach Resort to check it out.
I agree, the pacific side of mexico was fantastic. We took a shorter honeymoon so we could afford to do everything we wanted. We went to zihuatenejo, someone else went there too, blanking on who.....

la casa que canta-my honeymoon

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
if you decide on aruba, which i love, check out the bucuti beach resort. it is not in the high rise section, so it''s a little quieter and less crowded. they have a bldg. called the tara beach suites, which are all suites on the beach, and if they know you are honeymooning they try to upgrade you to the penthouse suite. breakfast is included in the tara suites also. it sounds expensive but is pretty reasonable. we loved it there.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 7:23:31 PM
Author: Jaders731
Ok.... (man.. I should be a walking advertisement for turks and caicos LOL)

How about Turks and Caicos?

Caribbean? check

Hurricanes? not so much...

Secluded? check (cruise ships didnt start coming here till this year.. and not on the main island of Provo)

Short trip? check... 1 hr and 15 min. flight from miami...

Just a thought.. I hope you gals dont think I''m a peddler for this country.. LOL.. I''m not... just happens to be a GREAT honeymoon destination...

This place is all about getting and giving information. I think it''s great that you can offer the info you do about T and C. Someone might REALLY want to go to the Caribbean for their honeymoon, but can''t really afford the risk that hurricanes have. T&C is a great choice for those people.

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Codex...

Just an FYI to everyone who is thinking about honeymooning in the Caribbean... (I believe Mexico is included in this!!)... The US State Department, as of December 31st, 2006, is requiring all US citizens to have a passport for air and sea travel to the Caribbean.

Up until this point, US citizens were allowed to travel with a certified copy of a birth certificate AND photo ID...

Hope this info helps... just dont want anyone having problems when they are thinking of honeymoon spots... and to factor in the $85 cost for passports into your budget (minimal I know.. but aproximately $200 more added on to your honeymoon budget could mean the difference between a really nice dinner and a so so dinner that you didnt really want..ya know?) And dont forget too.. they can take months to get!!

Wooohooo for being an expat in a popular honeymoon destination!
36.gif
hehe

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Hey hon just wanted to reply to you. i own a business in puerto vallarta (PV) (I live in Cali). Last year did show us some pretty terrible weather. Also. . . the best time to visit weather wise is november through april. the rainy season is april through september. Although you might have completely clear weather in september, the humidity is g-d awful. I lived on the east coast in virginia beach and manhattan as a kid and i''ve never felt humidity like PV in their "rainy season." Things are filthy-cheap (3 course meals with alkie for about $30-45 total), and you can find really interesting markets that sell local goods. Also, it is not very touristy and there are TOooons of opportunities for eco-tourism (horse back riding in the rainforest down south, scuba diving and jeep tours north of the city). I would recommend that if you want to go and it''s an option, try to book for October. Still considered the rainy season, but it barely rains. Also, the humidity dies down. And, since it is rainy season, technically, you still get fantastic rates. Also. . . stay south of the "romantic" or "hotel" zones and you will get plenty of beautiful waters (in Conchas Chinas). And yes. . .we got hit a bit last year. Nothing that would ruin livelihood, but might damper a honeymoon (unless of course you want to stay all wrapped up together for a few days
28.gif
)
The second pic is shaded but shows how clear the water is. :) So yeah. . .if you can brave the humidity, and the possibility of rain, go in september. But, i would recommend october. HTH!
6dc20a37.jpg
perfectlywarmallthetime.jpg

clearviewoftherainforestfromourpatio.jpg

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 7:16:06 PM
Author: Jaders731
Just an FYI to everyone who is thinking about honeymooning in the Caribbean... (I believe Mexico is included in this!!)... The US State Department, as of December 31st, 2006, is requiring all US citizens to have a passport for air and sea travel to the Caribbean.

Up until this point, US citizens were allowed to travel with a certified copy of a birth certificate AND photo ID...

Hope this info helps... just dont want anyone having problems when they are thinking of honeymoon spots... and to factor in the $85 cost for passports into your budget (minimal I know.. but aproximately $200 more added on to your honeymoon budget could mean the difference between a really nice dinner and a so so dinner that you didnt really want..ya know?) And dont forget too.. they can take months to get!!

Wooohooo for being an expat in a popular honeymoon destination!
36.gif
hehe

Just air as of Jan. 23, 2007 (yes, an odd date).

Sea and land don''t need a passport until Jan. 1, 2008.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html#4

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all!

We have passports already.........he and I studied abroad in Costa Rica together 5 years ago and had to have them for that :)

We ended up booking a trip in Aruba :)))))) I found that I was very hesitant everytime I found a gorgeous place in Mexico or other Carrib desitnation due to hurricaine threats. And even with travel insurance....who wants to NOT go on your honeymoon??? Even if you can rebook...boy, what a spoiler that would be. So we had a long discussion and had a good 3 days of constant honeymoon reseraching/planning/discussions. Turks and Caicos was on the list and I fell so in love with the Palms, Bucuti (as someone suggestd) and the new Somerset..........but we felt so nervous about having enough money left over to have a proper time of it once there. So, in the end we chose an all-inclusive in Aruba.

Oh, and I forgot.....FI agreed to "up" our budget by 1,000 so all the Aruba vs Turks talk was with this in mind.

So, even with 4k budget, it was really hard to find somethign we loved and knew we could afford........but I found a package by pure luck to Aruba from JFK for 7 nights to Occidental for $3200 including all taxes, food (6 restarurants and 5 bars!!!), alchohol, transfers etc!!! I couldn''t believe it. So, this leaves us with about $800 for the fun tours etc that we always like to do but never have money for :)

I''m a grad student and he a new business owner so luxury travel is very much NOT in our repetoire right now so we figure this vaca will be just about as fancy as it''s gotten for us yet lol. (we usually stay in the cheapest 3-star we can find and fly charters when available or go on cruises....but really have loved EVERY one of our trips together). And in a year from now, when his business has taken off and i have finally gotten a nice teaching job.....we will definitley be in for some of the more luxurious properties both in Aruba (for an anniversary) or in the T&C''s.

You know what though? This property IS a 4-star place so maybe I shouldn''t be so down about it! (I think I''m just going through withdrawal still for a jacuzzi in the room but in Aruba and the T&Cs, that''ll cost you a pretty penny.....which we just don''t have right now.

I get to plan for those activities next and I can''t wait.......horseback riding, waverunners, sunset cruise, booze cruise maybe, a little off-roading, parasailing perhaps............all of these fun things wouldn''t have been possible had we chosen anywhere else so we are SOOOOOOOOOO happy!!!!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
oh, and did I mention that I can always bring a portable bath spa thingy from walmart to MAKE our boring tub a jacuzzi LOL

you all think i''m kidding? wait till I check it out to see how much it weighs first before laughing.

(joking...........sort of)

lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results