shape
carat
color
clarity

Honest question re today's fashion, advertising, and gender ...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
87.jpg

Please don't kill me for asking this honest question.
This print ad in the STYLE section of the NYT got me wondering.

It shows 4 people.
The person on our left has a prominent bulge 'down there'.
It surprised me since this is an ad for women's clothing which says, "A powerful woman knows the power of women."
Professional ads are meticulously scrutinized and this bulge would not go unnoticed.
IMO you would NOT see such a bulge in the ads of 10 years ago, maybe not even just one year ago.

Is that person on the left a woman with a medical condition I am not familiar with that causes such a bulge, or is the bulge from penis and testicles?
If the later, this is the first, for lack of a better term, fully gender-inclusive ad I've seen.
And if the later kudos to them for helping to improve society to become more inclusive.
If it is a medical condition, kudos again for including not-perfect bodies in ads. :clap:

Am I a backwards bigoted caveman for noticing this and wondering?
If so, this caveman very much wants to be educated re gender today.

What do you think explains the bulge?
Do you see this ad as a good example of educating the public, much as "Will and Grace" was 25 years ago?

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting.

Reading what Alicia Keys said, "I was drawn to Athleta because we both want to encourage women to discover, accept and OWN their power," Keys shared in the release. "We're all about the uniqueness of women, body positivity and creating a lifestyle that showcases our immeasurable power within. It's time to thrive — not just to survive — and my hope is that these offerings are another outlet for you to amplify your personal power, your possibility and feel comfortable in your own skin."

What do you think explains the bulge?

OK Just watched the video. She has an artificial limb. A prosthetic leg.

The ad is empowering women of all backgrounds and abilities.
For all women to be comfortable in their own skin no matter what.

Am I a bigoted caveman for even wondering?

Not at all. Knowledge is power and makes us all better individuals IMO.
Being curious and always wanting to know more is a good thing. In my book.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks missy.
That explains that.
I confess, nearly always being ad-averse I did not watch their video.

And now, kudos to the model for not hiding her difference with concealing clothes.
Unfortunately she probably gets lots of stares from people in real life who associate a bulge like that in that location with something other than a medical device.
But of course, that's not her problem.

Last edited:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have noticed that a lot of ads are including gender diverse and gender fluid models and this is not the first I have seen (old Navy ads). As a mom of a gender fluid teen, I’m glad to see this type of inclusion, and the world is becoming more loving and accepting of all. It gives me hope that my child will not suffer prejudice and bullying that they would have 10 years ago. As a matter of fact, my child applied to In-state Universities only because there was a drop down menu of 9 different gender choices and the ability to use their “Known” name instead of their birth name. I’m so glad you brought this to our attention Kenny.

Editing to add: a trans woman is still a woman, whether they have had surgery or not, so whether the bulge is from prosthetics or body parts they were born with, props to them for not hiding it, or photoshopping it.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Here is an example of gender inclusive advertising and marketing...by giant fashion house Gucci no less. They have Women's Collections, Men's Collection and MX (all Gender) collection.

GucciMX.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results