shape
carat
color
clarity

Honest and objective replies needed please!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok so I'm currently lusting after these carnelian earrings. Bear in mind it is all handmade so factor that into my next question please..

Is it overpriced? ☺

(Love Sally's work and love working with her on projects but I'm wondering if for carnelians these are a bit too steep (don't mind paying a premium for handmade at all but where is the line?))

screenshot_2016-06-13-21-15-50.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are quite lovely!
I'm sorry that I can't really answer your question.
But I do see her black onyx version is priced the same.
Does that help with a decision? I know how it makes me lean....

The color enhancing of the carnelian done by the gentle sun is quite romantic - kind of like Kobe beef massaged by fairy maidens vs chuck.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did see the black onyx earrings and same price.... It doesn't make me feel anything but should it?? :lol:

I love the look of these but as I browse etsy and see other "natural and undyed" carnelian beads or faceted beads for like £20 I'm left scratching my head...

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind that earrings are twice the labor and gold. That is what is driving the price. Think of it as buying two gold pendants. Whether it's too much to invest in a carnelian, only you can decide but I think the color of these are gorgeous...like orange gumdrops!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes definetly more labour and gold when you're getting a pair! I just don't want to buy these then see in the future I could have got the exact same thing for a lot less. Little less... is acceptable.

But for eg I don't want to see that I could have got the exact same item for say £200 instead of £600. I guess I have no idea on the pricing for carnelians (or the variations that drive the price - I just know the more red it is there more valuable).

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion .......
That someone might be able to convince me that thesecarnelians are really nice. They're much more rare and awesome quality. Hence the price. They do look really nice in her photos.
When I see the same price for onyx, always dyed and plentiful- I'm not going to totally believe that.
So it tells me the price is not tied up in the stones themselves.
Or maybe these are truly rare totally natural undyed/untreated pegacorn black onyx.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rfisher, I think she mentions somewhere that those are undyed untreated black onyx... I will need to check though because I could be getting confused with something else. It's really late here!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size of the stones is really cool Do they sit on a disk of gold or are they mounted to the ring/halo? Are they heavy to wear causing them to sag/droop? I like them.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As other posters mentioned, most of the cost will be the labor (since it is handmade each time, not cast) and the gold. It is a gold-heavy design. If your budget is tight and you're not wedded to that exact design, you could ask Sally to custom make you earrings with carnelian but in a different design that use less gold or 14k gold (or even gold-plated sterling, IIRC she can do that). Or you could get a pendant for approx 1/2 the cost of the earrings, I'm guessing? :wavey:

S

SparkliesLuver

Do you love the size/shape/color/etc. of the carnelian and the settings? Or would you be happier shopping for them separately?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your responses everyone. I had a look around at top quality undyed natural carnelians of around the same size and pricing seems on point. Also taking into consideration it's all handmade. I think I will take the plunge with them in a bit; something about them really speaks to me.

I do love the size, colour and setting sparklies, the cut took a bit of getting used to. Maybe I would have preferred a cab of the same size in that setting.... I'm not sure. But I know she doesn't have any cabs of that size so..

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others the bulk of the cost is in the production of the settings, not the stones.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, paying for the settings (gold, handmade factor) more than the stones themselves.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just adding also that even the stud backs of the earrings are also handmade, they're not stock findings/mass produced. I have two pairs of earrings made by Sally and I love the delicate details on the handmade matching earring backs. However these are hidden features in that it's not visible when the earrings are worn, so you have to decide whether it's worth the additional cost for this type of added labor.

I also have a carved scarab carnelian ring by Sally, it's one of my favorite rings. :wavey:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've Googled carnelian like hell as soon as I got interested in these earrings and I found your ring mochiko ☺ it's gorgeous!

I've not worn orange in jewellery before so this should be interesting and thank you for the info about the backs... I had no idea they were hand made too. Sally really does go all out!

Eta, cannot wait to have a sizable Sally collection like you do!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt you'd ever find the same thing for cheaper since it's unlikely that's you'd find the same thing elsewhere. I've had many pendants and rings from Sally as custom orders and the reason I undergo the hassle of Thailand shopping is because I've never found a jeweler in the U.S. that does the same quality of delicate hand forged work that her bench does at anything close to the price and flexibility that she offers. Yes, the pieces are more expensive than anything I'd get from stullers or maybe even my local CAD jeweler but for me the quality is worth it for the artistry and detail. I will often get mixed metal pieces to help keep costs done since I will commission multiple pieces at once. I have three rings in the making with her as we speak!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's interesting that most of the carnelian pieces on Etsy are kinda brownish and opaque looking. The ring I have from Sally is more of a pure orange (even though I know technically carnelian should be reddish orange), I love the color because it reminds me of a orange fanta gummy.. it's not fully translucent but it's definitely not dull and opaque. The carnelian in the earrings look slightly more translucent in photos you posted. :)

20140217_155700.jpg

Here is a photo where you can see the backs that Pomme made for my moonstone earrings. I wore this pair at my wedding! :)
moonstone_earring.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, carnelian is not an expensive stone, and the pair in the earrings look like chips that have not been drilled to me.

The setting does not appeal to me at all.

For that price, I would expect to see some diamonds in the setting.

Again, for that price, I could have 2 of my CSs set in two rings in 14K WG and possible with a few diamond melees.

Therefore, I believe the earrings are way over-priced!

That's just my personal opinion.

DK :))

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
Jim McCormick has a matched pair of cab carnelians (a bit on the large size) if anyone is interested.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ETA Mochiko thank you for showing me those backs... so so pretty! Completely my style! Now I feel sad I won't be going for the studs option... but I don't think even those gorgeous backs are enough to convert me to studs hehe.

Thank you so much for your honest opinion dk... I *really* appreciate it. I needed to hear a comment from someone that didn't like them... and see if that deterred me or not. It hasn't so now I feel sure that I really do like them and it's not just a impulse thing :D

I will go for them in the dangle option though as I'm not a studs girl.

Thank you new beginning, can you please link them? I don't have Facebook but I noticed he sells on loupetroup. I'm not interested in buying (don't want loose stones) but do want to ogle pics :naughty:

screenshot_2016-06-17-09-19-26-1.png

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are worth it. I love the dangle option! You will see when you have them in hand - I think they will be earrings that can be passed down. The quality of her work is something else! Please post earshots when the arrive!

I love those backings Mochiko!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results