shape
carat
color
clarity

Home security systems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
I''m looking to get a home security system, pretty basic, generic loud noise if someone breaks a window or forces a door, a beep when any door is opened, etc... I''m googling for info and of course ADT and Brinks pop up. They''re sites are soooo unhelpfull. No info, just order here! Any advice/tips?

1)What system do you use?
2)Waht does it include?
3)How much does it cost (installment, initial equipment, monthly fees, services)?
4)Do you like it/recommend it?
5)Any miscellaneous thing I should consider?

Noone in my family has an alarm system so I am flying solo here! Any help is appreciated!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2005 8:53:05 PM
Author:gingerBcookie
I''m looking to get a home security system, pretty basic, generic loud noise if someone breaks a window or forces a door, a beep when any door is opened, etc...

I assume you are also going to have monitoring? If you bother installing a system you should have it monitored. You should also have smoke alarms as part of it. I find a home security system to be a pain in the neck. We have almost nothing of value in the house: no cash, no jewelry...and the dog would probably kill anyone who tried to enter anyway, but I don''t know. It just seems smart to have one.

Was I helpful?

Deborah

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Forget those companies you mentioned. They are way overpriced. We went with 3 local companies for estimates. They came out, left materials on what kind of sensors, etc... they would use and we made our descision from that. 8 yrs ago it cost $1500.00 for us to install in a 3500 sf house and it took 3 days. This included monitors on all doors and motion sensors on each floor. However, on 2 floors we have to deactivate the motion sensors due to the dogs. We didn''t do the window monitors or fire alarms. Our neighbors alarm goes off constantly cause she is always burning things on the stove. We pay $25 a month for monitoring. The 1 thing they don''t tell you is that the system has a back up battery and when it goes- look out. Ours just died and they wanted $150 to come out and replace it. We found the identicle battery on line for $25.00, plugged it in and it works fine. Overall, it''s really just peace of mind. By the time they call the cops and the cops get here- or to the neighbors- it''s a good 20 minutes. Pleanty of time for the thieves to get away. One day our door blew open in the wind though and we got a call and DH -who worked down the street- came home to check it out. He was here WAY before the cops got here. I swear, they wait till a safe amount of time goes by to respond.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
I went local too and don;t forget about the monitoring or your wasting time and money in my opinion. I paid about $1400 give or take for all three floors, windows, doors, laser thing to detect movement, little sensors on stairs but you do need the bypass if you have dogs and don''t forget that you need atleast two keypads and two keychain pads. Mine were hooked to lights and alarm. Mine also had a indoor and outdoor speaker for fire or break ins. The monitoring was over $200 a year but I think local is just as good if not better than ADT. You get more with a local family and at least you know the family members putting in it vs new hires. I also liked that when my child was younger I would know if she opened a door or window, it would chime and that was great for me. Good luck on your system.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results