shape
carat
color
clarity

Home networking help needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I need to set up a wireless home network for PCs in my house. I have 2 laptops and 1 desktop. I currently don''t have internet at home but will plan on getting cable or DSL. I''d also like to have a wireless networked printer (need to buy a printer too). Can anyone walk me through the basics of what we need? Also, any tips for making the network secure is greatly appreciated as one of our goals will be to access my husband''s office network for doing financial stuff at home.

I''m very PC literate, but a total newbie to networking.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IslandDreams, you will first need a wireless broadband router. This will connect to your broadband modem and transmit internet signal throughout your home. Next, your PCs and laptops will need to receive the signal. Chances are the laptops already have wireless transmitters/receivers. The desktop will likely need a network adapter. You can get network adapters that simply plug in via a usb connection or you can get a PCI adapter that plugs into a slot on the inside of your desktop tower. If you are going to buy a new printer, you can buy one that is already wireless. Or, you can connect a wireless print-server to a non-wireless printer.

Wireless equipment is "backward compatible" (not sure of that term, actually) so if you buy the latest (Wireless N), it is compatible with it's predecessors, Wireless-G and Wireless-B.

For security, you can set up encryption. It's pretty easy, the installation instructions walk you through it.

Check out this page at Linksys to get a better idea of the equipment:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1116602177755&packedargs=site%3DUS&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

hope this helps!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Maria--Thanks for the info. We know that the 2 laptops have the wireless cards but the desktop does not. Can we just hard wire the desktop to the internet connection? Connecting the PC directly to the broadband modem then connecting the wireless router to the modem too?

On the printers, it looks like I need a printer server because most of the printers we''re considering are not wireless capable. Do I just hook the print server to the printer somehow?

Also, any advice on DSL vs. Cable?

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2007 8:44:43 AM
Author: IslandDreams
Maria--Thanks for the info. We know that the 2 laptops have the wireless cards but the desktop does not. Can we just hard wire the desktop to the internet connection? Connecting the PC directly to the broadband modem then connecting the wireless router to the modem too?

Yes, you can hardwire the desktop. But instead of connecting it directly to the modem, you''ll connect it to an access port on the router. So both the modem and the PC will be connected to the wireless router. This is a good solution if your desktop PC is located in a place that is fairly central in your home since it will need to be physically near the router. You want to place the wireless router in a spot where your laptops will get good reception (central location).

On the printers, it looks like I need a printer server because most of the printers we''re considering are not wireless capable. Do I just hook the print server to the printer somehow?

Yes, the printer connects to the server with a USB connection. So, instead of connecting to a computer, your printer will connect to the print server. Now, you can choose to connect your printer to the desktop PC instead of getting a wireless print server, but then the desktop PC needs to be turned on in order to print remotely from the laptops. I actually had that set-up for some time and it worked fine.

Also, any advice on DSL vs. Cable?

Cable is faster but DSL tends to be cheaper where I live. I''m an internet junkie and like the speed of cable. If you''re coming from dial-up, DSL is going to seem super fast! Here''s a comparison from cnet:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6536_7-726601-4.html?tag=arrow

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
When setting up a wireless network you should make sure you password protect it so random passers by can''t use it. We have a wireless network and we can see other people''s networks. None of them are really strong enough to use from our house but perhaps if we were in a car directly in front of their house they would be.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 9:03:56 AM
Author: Maria D

Yes, you can hardwire the desktop. But instead of connecting it directly to the modem, you'll connect it to an access port on the router. So both the modem and the PC will be connected to the wireless router. This is a good solution if your desktop PC is located in a place that is fairly central in your home since it will need to be physically near the router. You want to place the wireless router in a spot where your laptops will get good reception (central location).

My desktop is in the basement but my house is small. Only 1400 feet. Would this likely work as a location for the wireless router?

On the printers, it looks like I need a printer server because most of the printers we're considering are not wireless capable. Do I just hook the print server to the printer somehow?

Yes, the printer connects to the server with a USB connection. So, instead of connecting to a computer, your printer will connect to the print server. Now, you can choose to connect your printer to the desktop PC instead of getting a wireless print server, but then the desktop PC needs to be turned on in order to print remotely from the laptops. I actually had that set-up for some time and it worked fine.

Ok so if I don't get the wireless print server and connect the printer to the desktop the laptops can still print as long as the desktop is turned on? This sounds like I could avoid the cost of the wirelss print server for awhile.

Maria--Thanks again. A couple more questions in yellow above.

DSL is cheaper in my area too. I am actually used to a T1 line at work. So, how bad is DSL? Our primary function will be basic internet surfing and accessing my husband's company network to work on files. There would be some file transfers but things like Quickbooks or Excel not graphics.

If we do DSL do we have to buy a special modem?

Kismet--yes, we have the same issue in my neighborhood. Sometimes we take my husband's laptop for a walk if we really need to get on the internet at home. Standing on the sidewalk a few doors down gets us a nice internet signal. Sad, I know. But yes, security is on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results