shape
carat
color
clarity

Home design question

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found a mirror I really like and want to put it over the fireplace where I currently have a picture. I have two questions I could use some help with:
1. The picture is 26" high and the mirror is 35" high so it would overlap the crown molding a few inches. Will that look odd?
2. The fireplace surround is stacked stone. The mirror is made up of multiple panels. Would that be too much pattern/texture on one wall? (The mirror pic is a stock photo showing it standing, we would lay it on its side since we don't have much space above the fireplace.)

Thanks for your help!

img_13842.jpg

img_3723.png

Q

Queenie60

You have the right idea - I feel that something horizontal and a bit wider would look much better over your fireplace. However, I would not overlap the molding. Ideally you would want the top of the frame to clear the molding by 4" or so. Keep searching, you will find the right piece for that space.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your fireplace and room colour are lovely. It looks like your room has a relaxing, peaceful feeling. :))

I think a mirror would look great over your fireplace.

I agree with Queenie about having a space between the crown moulding and any mirror or picture.

When it comes to my home, I spend a lot of time looking for just the right piece. I won't tell you how many mirrors I've looked at before purchasing the ones I have in my home!

I'd recommend visualizing the size you'd like and using those measurements as a rough guide. Use paper or painter's tape to outline the size if that helps to get a rough idea. The height of the mirror will be more limiting than the horizontal measurement, in this case, but you'd want to have a general idea of minimum and maximum horizontal length.

The mirror you included in your post is lovely, but you might find a simple mirror to be more suited to your space. Something less 'busy'. A simple frame and mirror with a beveled edge (personal hang-up with me is having a beveled edge on all my mirrors - but it suits my traditional interior). The size and frame would be my determining factors; you might want to go with a wood frame that has a bit of a rustic feel to it, tying into the stone facade of the fireplace.

Have you considered what will be reflected in the mirror?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THanks for your responses Queenie60 and december-fire, I'll pass on this mirror.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful fireplace...wish I had one. If you stay with the picture for now I would suggest playing around with it a little.
I would slide it to the left some next to the orchid and then add another small decorative item to the right side to go with the 2 pots
you have there. Of course Xmas is coming so no matter what you celebrate all kinds of fun ways to decorate it!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your fireplace is lovely. I love the face stone! What you have on your mantle now looks very nice and balanced in scale and aesthetically.
The picture frame compliments the fireplace door and pops with the white mantle and molding. It all works together beautifully :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results