shape
carat
color
clarity

Holidays and Glass Bowls

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I have a couple questions for everyone.

1- Does anyone know a good place to buy large, simple glass bowls that I could use as centerpieces? I''m thinking of a few floating flowers and candles to put inside each. If I could figure out how, I''d attach a picture.
32.gif

2- Do you think having a wedding on Labor Day or any holiday is good or bad? Would vendors cost more? Would it bother people to give up their holiday weekend? Do most people have pre-planned activities that weekend?
One concern is that if we do use a park, it will probably be crowded on Labor Day weekend and I don''t really want someone bbquing right in back of me. Not sure if it''s worth worrying about though.

Thanks!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
wow you''re really on top of wedding planning and just newly engaged!

as for labor day, my experience is people do not like having to go to a wedding on a long holiday weekend. It''s done of course, but you might lose some people. I''m doing September as well, and ruled out that weekend for that reason. I also noticed there is more availability for that date which leads me to believe a lot of people are ruling it out.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Janine,
It''s funny, I have so many ideas floating around in my head right now. Every second, I think of something else, some other wedding related detail, some other random wedding thought. And I did have some months there that I did a bit of pre-planning so I''ve got a lot of ideas already. I''d like to take care of some little stuff early on, while I''m not feeling stressed, if possible.. at least know where I will buy things when I''m ready to buy.

Out of curiousity, why do you think people don''t like weddings on holiday weekends?

Btw, how''s your planning going?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
like i said, that''s just what i heard (about holiday wkends). others may chime in and say the opposite. i think the reason may be that labor day weekend (at least here on the east coast) is considered the last wkend of the summer and some like to get out of town and enjoy the beach, or have fun with the kids before school starts, or just chill out before everything swings into full force again. I think some might feel going to a wedding kills the long weekend.

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
It is YOUR wedding and if you want your wedding on Labor day weekend then I say go for it!

With that said, yes I know that a lot of families do usually make plans for this long weekend to go to the lake, beach or whatever (my family is one of them)! I know there have been a few brides on here who opted to do a Memorial Day or Labor Day wedding. There is a perk to having a wedding on a holiday weekend such as out of town guests will have an extra day to stay or travel home...I'm not sure about vendor pricing.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Janine, what you''re saying makes sense. That''s what my FI thought too whereas I thought about giving people the extra day, since we''re thinking of having it on a Sunday.

RoseAngel, actually, I''m leaning against Labor Day weekend. An out of town Aunt suggested it. I''m not sure I want to get married on a holiday weekend. Hmmm... not sure what to do on this one!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
1. Keep an eye out for AC Moore and/or Michaels ads on Sundays. They accept each others'' coupons. I find in my area AC Moore is generally cheaper. I purchased 8in glass hurricane vases for centerpieces for $1.99 at AC Moore, they are normally 4.99 there, and I''ve seen them for 7-8 and up elsewhere.

2. Have your wedding when you want. People that are the most important to you will be there. Although watch for holiday weekend prices at hotels/venues, etc.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michael''s definitely comes to mind.

A good friend of mine had her wedding on Labor Day weekend. I didn''t have feelings about it either way. People traveling may have to pay a little more for airfare but at least they won''t have to rush back to work. Some people may not come, but my friend didn''t seem to have a big issue with attendance on that weekend.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Labbielove, great idea about Michael''s! I haven''t seen an AC Moore in my area. I even thought that if I see something I want in bulk, such as the centerpiece bowls, I can buy one a weekend b/c I usually see a coupon for 40% off one item. Then, even though I wouldn''t be saving a ton b/c they''re not that expensive to start with, the savings will add up, and I have plenty of time to do this since the date isn''t until summer.

FG, I hadn''t thought of airfare being more expensive. That is a good point. This is a hard decision. I''m hoping that wherever our location is will just have one Sept. date available so that the decision is made for me!

Anyone know of a good online store to buy glass bowls or other decorative items?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I disagree on the airfare.

For several years, my friends and I took vacation specifically ON labor Day weekend as it was the last part of the summer sale prices.

I''d totally go to a holiday weekend wedding.....and would like the fact that I don''t have to try to cram it in on a 2-day weekend.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I like holiday weddings, bc then DH and I can make a mini trip out of it, if it''s OOT.

And re glass bowls, for cheap ones - Walmart. can''t beat the prices.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Aldj and Flopkins!
I think I will look into airfare and get an idea of whether it''s cheaper or not on that weekend. Every day there seems to be another detail to consider!

Flopkins, I hadn''t thought of Walmart but I will check prices there too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results