shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Plans for 2021

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a work conference in Santa Fe that I'd love love love to attend in late August. My work conferences are seriously fun times. To me that will be a holiday!

I've been traveling by plane recently, though not by choice. My father had a massive brain hemorrhage a few weeks ago and I flew home to help my mom. I'll have to do it again in a few weeks when he gets out of the hospital to help set up a home routine for him (if he returns home and doesn't go into long term care.) Flying is really scary right now without being vaccinated. Not everyone is behaving and keeping their masks on unfortunately.

I can't even think about a real holiday at this point. Not enough head space. I just hope my conference in Santa Fe will happen.

I'm really sorry about your father @RunningwithScissors and I'm wishing him the best with his recovery. Such a stressful time for you and your family. And I hope your conference goes ahead as planned.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Hopefully hugging my parents - last time I saw them was December 2019. And in a perfect world loving on my sister, BIL, and new niece.

In reality, probably working. Emergency medicine is 24/7/365 and my holiday schedule usually involves only a few days off so that everyone gets a 3-4 day stretch off.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know - but I do get that they are worried about new variants from other places. Particularly the South African strain which is apparently quite contagious.

Just like the UK strain

Im sorry you miss your family
I hope they too are keeping safe over there
Do you know the RSA immunization plan ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@RunningwithScissors im so sorry for you Dad and your family
Has your mum had reasonable visitation rights to him in hospital?
Are rehabilitation services effected by covid ?
I wish you all well
stay as safe as you can
and seriously - boo hiss tbose people not wearing masks !

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Tartansparkles - WOW!! Tell us more!! Do you go in summer for a week or more? What do you do while there?

Thanks @Loves Vintage, we go with my parents and for a week. It's about a 5 hour drive from home. We all do our own thing - mum loves photography so she takes photos, Dad builds fires on the beach with the kids and DH takes the fishing stuff. We walk every day, there are literally hundreds of walks to do at all different levels and on most of them you won't see another soul because most activity is concentrated on the tourist hotspots (trust me, there are hundreds of fairy bridges across Scotland and without the marketing hype, you wouldn't be able to tell one from another). My thing is local arts and crafts, handmade stuff. So I sit with the arts council brochure and plan our days out based on which local artist I want to visit (studios/galleries tend to be in people's homes/gardens). As long as a day out includes photos, a walk and coffee and cake everyone is happy (the kids are a bit older now and attached to their phones).

Some dinosaur foot prints, a cemetery and a fairy pool.

20170720_110826.jpg IMG_20200712_163834310_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190712_131615182.jpg
    IMG_20190712_131615182.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170720_110916.jpg
    20170720_110916.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 9

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
Just like the UK strain

Im sorry you miss your family
I hope they too are keeping safe over there
Do you know the RSA immunization plan ?
Thank you @Daisys and Diamonds. My mom is older and actually got covid last year but thankfully made a full recovery (the most fortunate thing and I can’t say how utterly grateful I am for that). Their immunisation plans will be slow - the infrastructure and finance simply isn’t there. But this too shall pass and hopefully we all get to see family happy and healthy again.

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
I have a work conference in Santa Fe that I'd love love love to attend in late August. My work conferences are seriously fun times. To me that will be a holiday!

I've been traveling by plane recently, though not by choice. My father had a massive brain hemorrhage a few weeks ago and I flew home to help my mom. I'll have to do it again in a few weeks when he gets out of the hospital to help set up a home routine for him (if he returns home and doesn't go into long term care.) Flying is really scary right now without being vaccinated. Not everyone is behaving and keeping their masks on unfortunately.

I can't even think about a real holiday at this point. Not enough head space. I just hope my conference in Santa Fe will happen.
So very sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he makes a good recovery. And hopefully that conference will go ahead for you x

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Loves Vintage, we go with my parents and for a week. It's about a 5 hour drive from home. We all do our own thing - mum loves photography so she takes photos, Dad builds fires on the beach with the kids and DH takes the fishing stuff. We walk every day, there are literally hundreds of walks to do at all different levels and on most of them you won't see another soul because most activity is concentrated on the tourist hotspots (trust me, there are hundreds of fairy bridges across Scotland and without the marketing hype, you wouldn't be able to tell one from another). My thing is local arts and crafts, handmade stuff. So I sit with the arts council brochure and plan our days out based on which local artist I want to visit (studios/galleries tend to be in people's homes/gardens). As long as a day out includes photos, a walk and coffee and cake everyone is happy (the kids are a bit older now and attached to their phones).

Some dinosaur foot prints, a cemetery and a fairy pool.

20170720_110826.jpg IMG_20200712_163834310_HDR.jpg

Sounds like my kind of holiday! Hope you get there sometime soon.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope your father will be okay @RunningwithScissors . I know how difficult it is being there for parents especially when not living close but could not imaging doing it during Covid. Stay Safe.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’m so sorry about your dad and hope he makes a full recovery. Sending gentle hugs and bucketloads of healing dust your and your father’s way.

Do you have any family or friends who can take care of your sweet dog while you are away?

When my parents were younger they took our cats when we went away. But now, we have a whole different furry crew and they are very challenging and need meds and are very difficult eaters. And my parents are much older so we really have no options.

Mainly because Oliver and Gracie are crazy with the food and Tommy has the opposite problem and is a very picky eater. If we hired someone to care for them Tommy would starve and also not take his meds. So this is the situation we are in and for better or worse we make the best of it. They are our family and so we do what we have to do to keep them safe and well.

But with all our other furry babies before them we had no problem going away and leaving them with my parents. But they were different cats (and my parents were much younger).

Thanks for sharing about your fur babies!

Unfortunately, we just moved out-of-state right before COVID hit. So we don't have family nearby and haven't really gotten to know our neighbors. So we may either board our doggo, or forego the airline points and do a road trip instead.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing about your fur babies!

Unfortunately, we just moved out-of-state right before COVID hit. So we don't have family nearby and haven't really gotten to know our neighbors. So we may either board our doggo, or forego the airline points and do a road trip instead.

I vote road trip! :)
And if I was your neighbor I would be more than happy to watch your sweet dog.

I vote road trip! :)
And if I was your neighbor I would be more than happy to watch your sweet dog.

That's so sweet of you to say

COVID has put such a damper on my social life. But I know if we ever had a true emergency, our neighbors will all pitch in to help. So that's always a relief!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made the decision to forget about taking my campervan over to France with the dog this year about a month ago.

I have just decided against going to visit my folks in Canada in late 2021, and shall dedicate the first transatlantic trip to them next year. This means no detour to Tucson, and Tucson can wait until February 2023.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results