shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Plans for 2021

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your holiday plans for 2021, domestic only or would be flying to far-flung places, or go on a cruise or two?

I have planned to go RVing in my campervan with her own onboard facilities, with pitches already booked from April to September so far.

I have planned to go to France in my RV in September (pitch already booked), however, it is looking increasingly unlikely for me to want to risk going into EU due to their lack lustre C19 vaccines roll out, which means some form of travel restrictions may still be in place at their end by then.

A Plan B is in place in that I have double booked a pitch in UK in case conditions are not favourable to go to France.

All the bookings can either be cancelled at no cost or fully refundable (only a small deposit had been paid for 2 trips).

I still have a credit note with Air Canada for my cancelled flights in May/June 2020, and may not be able to travel to visit my folks there this October if their border remains closed to those from UK. I may have to drag myself there and make a detour to Tucson in February 2022 instead. :Up_to_something:

DK :))

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Aww its such a sad time to travel or visit family. It sounds like your RV will come in handy this year for all the road trips.

I'm planning to visit my family interstate for Easter, haven't seen them since Christmas 2019. I don't think overseas travel is in our near future. Even interstate travel is tricky with borders closing etc whenever there is an outbreak.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Beach house on the island of Skye (not ours unfortunately but this will be the 4th or 5th return visit).
IMG_20200712_102131024_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_140457832_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200711_140457832_HDR.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200713_094411504_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200713_094411504_HDR.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 8

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
The camper van sounds like fun!

I was planning on going home (South Africa) to visit my mom in September. But like you @dk168 that all depends on what's happening with the vaccine rollout, travel restrictions etc. RSA is currently on the UK red list for travel and while I do really want to see family and friends - I can't stomach paying £1750pp to stay in a quarantine hotel for 10 days upon return.

If those plans fall through I'll be taking smaller city breaks in the UK - lockdowns permitting.

Here's to the world opening back up!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None. Nothing ... before, during, and after C19.
I just don't spend money that way.
YMMV.

As a 20-something in the military I lived overseas for 5 years, in 3 countries.
For me, that was the optimum way to experience other places and cultures.
I'm not much for the hotel, restaurant and tourist thing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If Covid cases continue to decline and all is safe again this year, my company will finally send me over to Austria!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
We would love to fly to Canada to visit my in-laws. They haven’t seen their grandson since Christmas 2018. He’s grown so much... It’s a pity, but I’m just really glad that we live near my parents right now. My husband has talked from time to time about jobs in Europe, but I have been very clear to him that I definitely do not want to move until it is safe for everyone to travel again. We have moved a lot over the years, but I never want to be stuck in a situation where I can’t see family or friends for 3-5 years.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We’re having a week in England. Partly because I’m not convinced things will be predictable by summer and don’t want to get caught up in losing deposits etc, and partly because I’d rather spend our cash repairing the U.K. hotel/leisure sector in the hopes that that minimises future tax hikes for us all (to pay for all the Covid borrowings).

(If the English summer is a weather wash-out, I reserve all rights to lose my morals and have a cheap week in Greece!)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’re having a week in England. Partly because I’m not convinced things will be predictable by summer and don’t want to get caught up in losing deposits etc, and partly because I’d rather spend our cash repairing the U.K. hotel/leisure sector in the hopes that that minimises future tax hikes for us all (to pay for all the Covid borrowings).

(If the English summer is a weather wash-out, I reserve all rights to lose my morals and have a cheap week in Greece!)

Being a tenter in the past and camped throughout the year, and not a sun worshiper as such, I shall go RVing comes rain or shine. It will be a nice change of scenery from being cooped at home. And the dog would love being out and about with me.

DK :))

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’ve just postponed our cruise around Australia, as we don’t believe their borders will be open by November. Hopefully, we’ll get to visit our DS and DIL later this year. We’ll have both been vaccinated, and so will they, and although this is not a guarantee, it means we’d be comfortable travelling. If we can fly, we’ll wear masks at the airport and on the plane, carry sanitiser and generally take every measure we feel appropriate.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will chill out another year. I had always planned to go back to Ecuador, but I feel its probably for the best that I hold out until 2022. As long as cases decline I will consider going to Iceland, and thats only because they have shit under control.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beach house on the island of Skye (not ours unfortunately but this will be the 4th or 5th return visit).

One of my favorite locations in the world. You're so fortunate.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your holiday plans for 2021, domestic only or would be flying to far-flung places, or go on a cruise or two?

Holiday plans include seeing family and driving only is involved. No flying to far away places yet. But that constraint is due to our highly needy cats and not the pandemic. Not to get into details for fear of boring you to tears but unfortunately there is no traveling in our future without taking our cats with us so it will be a long time til we can travel again. Cannot blame this on the pandemic.

I don't miss flying at all but I do miss our autumn road trips through New England and staying at bed and breakfasts along the way. It was always romantic and memorable and one day, I hope, we can get back to enjoying those trips.

Another dream trip I hoped one day we would enjoy was cycling through New Zealand. Not sure that will be possible due to health issues but a girl can dream and maybe it will happen. One never knows...

Holiday plans include seeing family and driving only is involved. No flying to far away places yet. But that constraint is due to our highly needy cats and not the pandemic. Not to get into details for fear of boring you to tears but unfortunately there is no traveling in our future without taking our cats with us so it will be a long time til we can travel again. Cannot blame this on the pandemic.

I don't miss flying at all but I do miss our autumn road trips through New England and staying at bed and breakfasts along the way. It was always romantic and memorable and one day, I hope, we can get back to enjoying those trips.

Another dream trip I hoped one day we would enjoy was cycling through New Zealand. Not sure that will be possible due to health issues but a girl can dream and maybe it will happen. One never knows...

Oh shoot, yeah. If we go anywhere, we'd have to figure out a plan for the doggo. :-\

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had so much trouble getting money back from last year’s summer holiday booking that I’m a bit reluctant to book anything right now. In fact, we are still owed about £1000, which due to the way France implements its laws, we might get back in December! I’m looking ahead to June 2022 now and hoping to book a big family holiday, with sons, girlfriends, anyone who wants to come! Maybe a Greek island? Crete?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh shoot, yeah. If we go anywhere, we'd have to figure out a plan for the doggo. :-\

Do you have any family or friends who can take care of your sweet dog while you are away?

When my parents were younger they took our cats when we went away. But now, we have a whole different furry crew and they are very challenging and need meds and are very difficult eaters. And my parents are much older so we really have no options.

Mainly because Oliver and Gracie are crazy with the food and Tommy has the opposite problem and is a very picky eater. If we hired someone to care for them Tommy would starve and also not take his meds. So this is the situation we are in and for better or worse we make the best of it. They are our family and so we do what we have to do to keep them safe and well.

But with all our other furry babies before them we had no problem going away and leaving them with my parents. But they were different cats (and my parents were much younger).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had so much trouble getting money back from last year’s summer holiday booking that I’m a bit reluctant to book anything right now. In fact, we are still owed about £1000, which due to the way France implements its laws, we might get back in December! I’m looking ahead to June 2022 now and hoping to book a big family holiday, with sons, girlfriends, anyone who wants to come! Maybe a Greek island? Crete?

One of my fondest trips were when I visited the Greek island of Hydra. So beautiful. I hope you get the rest of your money back and can reschedule whatever trip your heart desires.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
We were planning a trip to the Bahamas in December but decided to go to Sanibel in Florida instead. Will save the Bahamas until 2022. We had to postpone a trip to Europe with our son this coming April and will move it to next April as I am not sure if the fall will be ok. Going to Prague, Lake Como and Switzerland.
Will take a trip to Washington this fall if everything is ok to travel to visit our oldest son. It will be so nice to travel again.
Also canceled a cruise but not quite ready to do that just yet.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I have a work conference in Santa Fe that I'd love love love to attend in late August. My work conferences are seriously fun times. To me that will be a holiday!

I've been traveling by plane recently, though not by choice. My father had a massive brain hemorrhage a few weeks ago and I flew home to help my mom. I'll have to do it again in a few weeks when he gets out of the hospital to help set up a home routine for him (if he returns home and doesn't go into long term care.) Flying is really scary right now without being vaccinated. Not everyone is behaving and keeping their masks on unfortunately.

I can't even think about a real holiday at this point. Not enough head space. I just hope my conference in Santa Fe will happen.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I have a work conference in Santa Fe that I'd love love love to attend in late August. My work conferences are seriously fun times. To me that will be a holiday!

I've been traveling by plane recently, though not by choice. My father had a massive brain hemorrhage a few weeks ago and I flew home to help my mom. I'll have to do it again in a few weeks when he gets out of the hospital to help set up a home routine for him (if he returns home and doesn't go into long term care.) Flying is really scary right now without being vaccinated. Not everyone is behaving and keeping their masks on unfortunately.

I can't even think about a real holiday at this point. Not enough head space. I just hope my conference in Santa Fe will happen.

So sorry to hear about your father. Wishing him a and you all the best. Hope he has a full recovery. I also hope your conference in Santa Fe happens as planned. Lovely area.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My MIL has booked a Manor House in the Peake District for the last weekend of July when the schools break for summer, for all of our Southern family (aka The Outlaws) to have a very overdue 4 day catch up mid way between out Counties. We haven't seen them since Christmas last year, so it can't come quick enough.

We also had our usual 3 weeks booked to Cyprus last August & thankfully they were able to defer the flights to this August without penalty. The Cypriot government announced yesterday that they will be open to tourism from the end of May provided travellers have been vaccinated. Our mothers' are now both done & Mr T & I are due around the end of June, so I am hoping we will make it to the Villa on Aug 8th.

My family also have a farm house on the Isle of Anglesey in Wales, which we as individual families dip in & out of throughout the year. But every October Half Term since time began, ALL of my family have headed down there together for a week of walking, eating & drinking. We have grown significantly over the years & there are now 18 of us split between the 7 creaky bedrooms (built in 1868 & I swear to God the main front staircase is haunted AF - I always go up the back way), but due to lockdown we haven't been able to cross the border & the caretaker has been earning his keep. So this coming October, we will all be itching to get together & we are already giddy even though it's months away.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Keep well. Trying times. Healing vibes to you and yours.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goal is back to what it was when Covid hit, which is spend time traveling with my mom, who is 85 while she can. But despite being vaccinated, it's going to be baby steps getting her comfortable going out again. She is cautious due to the variants and her age.

Right now I am talking to her about flying to California in August to visit her sister (and other family members) on their birthday. Her siblings are all elderly and vaccinated - but in the end it's a matter of everyone being comfortable for it to happen.

She and this particular sister call themselves the "twins" because they were born 10 years apart on the same day -and- the three of us always try to spend it together. I was supposed to go to California last March, just as Covid started hitting the US, as my aunt has Stage IV cancer. I would've still gone but didn't want to risk her health.

Their siblings were hoping for a large family reunion in Chicago (where they were originally are from) last August to celebrate their 75th/85th birthdays. Would love to still have it but I don't think my aunt is up for travel anymore.

Other than that, no real plans. At some point, we may go to the Bahamas. My mon has talked about us going there as she has a friend there she hasn't seen in the past decade.

My mom and I were supposed to go on a Greek Island cruise leaving from Venice last May but I don't see us traveling internationally or going on a cruise for awhile. In hindsight, given I was in China in November before the virus there -and- scheduled to go to Italy and on a cruise in May, I got lucky that I wasn't in either place when Covid hit hard.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I are planning a trip to Florida for our 15th.

We had originally planned a trip to Jamaica but they recently came out with mandatory testing before coming back into the US so we had to postpone. I can test / quarantine at home but I can’t risk being locked out of the country. Both my job and furbabies depend on me. :(sad

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The camper van sounds like fun!

I was planning on going home (South Africa) to visit my mom in September. But like you @dk168 that all depends on what's happening with the vaccine rollout, travel restrictions etc. RSA is currently on the UK red list for travel and while I do really want to see family and friends - I can't stomach paying £1750pp to stay in a quarantine hotel for 10 days upon return.

If those plans fall through I'll be taking smaller city breaks in the UK - lockdowns permitting.

Here's to the world opening back up!

I find it 'interesting ' the UK has a red list when that's were half our cases seem to come from .....

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know - but I do get that they are worried about new variants from other places. Particularly the South African strain which is apparently quite contagious.

There is also a Brazilian variant that is causing concerns.

DK :(2

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20200712_102131024_HDR.jpg

Tartansparkles - WOW!! Tell us more!! Do you go in summer for a week or more? What do you do while there?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results