shape
carat
color
clarity

Hillary Clinton's Concession Speech

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I listened to Secretary Clinton's concession speech live and was, quite unexpectedly, moved by it. I have been waiting for a full video without an enormously long wait before she begins to speak to come out on YouTube so that I could post it here on Pricescope. I think it was one of the best speeches I have heard. She was gracious to president-elect Trump and yet unwavering in her commitment to her desire to continue the crusade for equality among the races and between the sexes for the rights of everyone to have religious freedom.
I found my eyes wet at the end of the speech. She was obviously sincere and had tapped into her own emotions in a way that was unusual for her to do in her public speeches.

Link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HhuFO5JwCk

AGBF

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes to all of the above.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
There are a couple of video sites out there if you do a search.

I wanted to see it live, but it was 3 AM by the time I went to bed.

It was very sincere and I had tears in my eyes every time I looked at her husband.

I wish her well.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought her speech was excellent as was Trump's last night. I am less impressed by Obama's but it was good that he was gracious and will be accommodating in the best way. I would expect nothing less of him. I think he is a caring man and even though I have not agreed with him politically, I never thought he was a terrible person. Jimmy Carter was a truly good man but a terrible president.

I think they all three love America.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I agree, AGBF. I thought her speech was thoughtful and moving.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved her speech--I thought it was the most genuine and "true" she has been throughout the election (not that I blame her--but I digress..)

Although I am very sad and disappointed, I am hopeful that whoever wrote DT's speech for him last night actually plans to help him achieve those things. I was surprised at how non-horrible his speech was, and it gave me a tiny sliver of hope that I sorely needed.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1478721353|4095953 said:
Loved her speech--I thought it was the most genuine and "true" she has been throughout the election (not that I blame her--but I digress..)

Although I am very sad and disappointed, I am hopeful that whoever wrote DT's speech for him last night actually plans to help him achieve those things. I was surprised at how non-horrible his speech was, and it gave me a tiny sliver of hope that I sorely needed.

I am glad to hear you say this because I was beginning to wonder if anyone would acknowledge that it was a great speech.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478722096|4095963 said:

I am glad to hear you say this because I was beginning to wonder if anyone would acknowledge that it was a great speech.

Yup, I 100% acknowledge that it was great. It's just a very different attitude than the one he displayed during the campaign, so it was tempting for me to dismiss it and just say "well it doesnt matter because he didn't write it". But I truly hope that the DT that gave the speech is the one who we will see as POTUS, not the one from the campaign trail. :wavey:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1478724062|4095981 said:

Yup, I 100% acknowledge that it was great. It's just a very different attitude than the one he displayed during the campaign, so it was tempting for me to dismiss it and just say "well it doesnt matter because he didn't write it". But I truly hope that the DT that gave the speech is the one who we will see as POTUS, not the one from the campaign trail. :wavey:

It was a really nice speech.

What happened for me is not that I wanted to consciously dismiss it - it's just that the contrast was so shocking that I didn't understand what I was watching - who I was watching. The things he said and the way he came across felt like a total contradiction and opposite of what he's been saying all along. Why is he all of the sudden talking about unity, and everyone, and fairness.

So it was more like shock...but even in the midst of the shock and all the other emotions I was feeling I did take it - I want to believe - that maybe he will end up doing some good things. I have to think that way, since there's no way to know and the reality is that he's here.

I will no longer stand by the sidelines and go through my daily life ignorant of what's going on. I will be super vigilant about all the issues that I care about. So for that I'm thankful because it - he - woke me up.

I am surprised at how much I cried today.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was glad to hear the tone of his speech, redwood. Actually, I was extremely relieved to hear it since I would truly like to see a peaceful transition of power and I believe that it will take both President-elect Trump and Secretary Clinton to effect that. I would not call his speech "great" by normal standards, though. It is only "great" in comparison to what we are used to from him (Trump) because the bar for what he says (in terms of civility) is set so very low. From any other person who had just been elected President, it would have been a fairly average acceptance speech. Nonetheless, as I said, I was glad and relieved to hear Mr. Trump deliver it. I am also optimistic that he will grow into the presidency.

Deb

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree AGBF - that's why I purposely did not use the word "great." It was not a particularly inspirational speech...the audience reaction was kind of ho hum, too, I thought. He seemed like he couldn't get comfortable up there like the first few minutes...and then he grew into the speech and seemed more comfortable. I did like that he thanked so many people. I found that gracious, again, maybe because I was expecting terrible from him. So yeah, it was so much better than I expected from him, that it was really nice.

But you know, words are just words.

We'll have to see what he does.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1478728961|4096007 said:
I agree AGBF - that's why I purposely did not use the word "great." It was not a particularly inspirational speech...the audience reaction was kind of ho hum, too, I thought. He seemed like he couldn't get comfortable up there like the first few minutes...and then he grew into the speech and seemed more comfortable. I did like that he thanked so many people. I found that gracious, again, maybe because I was expecting terrible from him. So yeah, it was so much better than I expected from him, that it was really nice.

I think we are of the same mind, CJ. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt as he starts his presidency and I "hear" that you do, too. Sometimes a person can grow into an office. If he does not, then there will be time enough to deal with problems down the line.

Deb :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1478731196|4096030 said:

I think we are of the same mind, CJ. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt as he starts his presidency and I "hear" that you do, too. Sometimes a person can grow into an office. If he does not, then there will be time enough to deal with problems down the line.

Deb, I so hope what you are are saying is true. I need to find a way to get past everything he has said these past few months and just don't think I can. I'm hoping after a few days I start to feel differently.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1478735197|4096068 said:

Deb, I so hope what you are are saying is true. I need to find a way to get past everything he has said these past few months and just don't think I can. I'm hoping after a few days I start to feel differently.

I know, Callie. But someone has to stop wallowing in the bitterness, right? Both Trump and Clinton made gestures of peace. If we all do, too, or some of us are "men of good will" and do so, we have a chance. Or at least I pray we do.

Big hugs to you, my friend!
(((Calliecake)))
Deb

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb,

Thank you for always being the voice of reason.

Hugs,
Callie

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1478737395|4096094 said:
Calliecake|1478735197|4096068 said:

I know, Callie. But someone has to stop wallowing in the bitterness, right? Both Trump and Clinton made gestures of peace. If we all do, too, or some of us are "men of good will" and do so, we have a chance. Or at least I pray we do.

Big hugs to you, my friend!
(((Calliecake)))
Deb

Yup, my thoughts are the same. I truly hope his presidency isn't as horrible as we expect it to be, and that the divisive rhetoric during the campaign was just that: rhetoric. I need to hold on to hope today or else I wouldn't have been able to get out of bed.

siv1

Shiny_Rock
I thought she did a good job. I was surprised that I (me personally) felt she was genuine. I appreciated seeing her softer side.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hillary's speech made me respect her even more, and feel the loss more greatly. But it also help instill some steel into my backbone and put on my big girl pants and move forward.

His speech was a surprise to me. It such an about face, in tone, language and spirit. I am confused. I guess we have no choice but to wait and see. On one level it makes me distrust him more. On another level it gives me a sliver of hope. I will be mourning the loss of what a Hillary as president would mean for all women. I can only hope and pray for the best for this country and the man who would be president.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
President Obama and President-elect Trump is so far each doing what he is supposed to do in a democracy to effect a peaceful transition of power. Good job. See excerpted article below.

"WASHINGTON — President Obama and Donald J. Trump made a public show on Thursday of putting their bitter differences aside after a stunning election upset. The Oval Office meeting brought together a president who has darkly warned that Mr. Trump could not be trusted with the nuclear codes and a successor who rose to political prominence questioning Mr. Obama’s birthplace and legitimacy.

'I want to emphasize to you, Mr. President-elect, that we now are going to want to do everything we can to help you succeed because if you succeed, then the country succeeds,' Mr. Obama told Mr. Trump as the two sat side-by-side after the roughly 90-minute meeting. The president called the session 'excellent' and wide-ranging.

Mr. Trump, who said he had never met Mr. Obama before and expected the meeting to last only 10 or 15 minutes, said it had been a 'great honor' to sit with the president.

'We discussed a lot of different situations, some wonderful and some difficulties. I very much look forward to dealing with the president in the future, including counsel,' Mr. Trump said.

It was an extraordinary show of cordiality and respect between two men who have been political enemies and are stylistic opposites — Mr. Trump a brash real estate executive and reality television star whose campaign was defined in opposition to the sitting president, and Mr. Obama, a cool-tempered intellectual who has pressed a progressive agenda in office."

Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/11/us/politics/white-house-transition-obama-trump.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region&region=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region&_r=0

AGBF

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...But someone has to stop wallowing in the bitterness, right? Both Trump and Clinton made gestures of peace. If we all do, too, or some of us are "men of good will" and do so, we have a chance. Or at least I pray we do.

I have been extremely hesitant to post in any of the election threads... However, I just wanted to comment that I loved Deb's post. If we can all adopt this way of thinking, we can move closer to truly uniting this country. That is my sincere hope.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1478814105|4096548 said:
...But someone has to stop wallowing in the bitterness, right? Both Trump and Clinton made gestures of peace. If we all do, too, or some of us are "men of good will" and do so, we have a chance. Or at least I pray we do.

I have been extremely hesitant to post in any of the election threads... However, I just wanted to comment that I loved Deb's post. If we can all adopt this way of thinking, we can move closer to truly uniting this country. That is my sincere hope.

msop-

I am so glad you posted here.

Deb

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results