shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey Mommies! Favorite gifts for 10-12 year olds? 1-2 year olds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
So this year our extended family gift exchange is a little diffferent. 1 We''ve transitioned fully from ''kids'' to adults. 2. The exchange this year is "everyone buy for the kids".
36.gif
It''s a great idea and way better than a bunch of adults exchanging sweaters they don''t like.

Now, I love these kids but I recently married into this family so I only see them a few times a year.

We''re buying for a 12 year old girl (plays soccer, field hockey, has first BF)

a 10 year old boy (not great home life, needs attention, great disposition)

a 1.5 year old girly who is super super active.

a 1 year old boy who has everything,

I have some ideas but this is going to be our only shopping weekend before the holiday, so I''m a little whigged out.
32.gif

Anyone have a kid this age and get them super wonderful? Are there teriffic toys out there? Hot trends?

HELP!!

Thanks
9.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I can help with the 10 year old boy. Depending on his interests.

If he''s a really active kid who likes to skateboard, bycicle, rollerblade, etc., I highly recommend getting him some protective gear for his knees, elbows and hands. For his hands they have spandex gloves with no fingers and leather or some other protective material for the palms of his hands. Even if he already has some, they wear out and get lost unless Mom and Dad are pretty strict about putting stuff away.

Video games are great if he has a system and you know what he''s into (mine likes Pokemon right now). If he has or is getting a gaming system for Christmas, see if he needs any accessories, memory cards, extra consoles, etc. That will be a sure hit if he enjoys gaming.

If he likes to read I''d get books. If he likes science or anything technical he might like an encyclopedia on the subject. Also, he might enjoy the Magic Treehouse books. It''s a series of mystery/adventure stories that my 10 year old and his friends really enjoy, but maybe the boy you are buying for has another favorite series.

For the babies I would go with clothes. They grow out of things really fast, so get the next size up from what they are wearing. Boys clothes are slim pickins and not so many cute things -- if you find something really cute, no doubt Mom will appreciate it. For the girl, there are just tons of cute things, but if she''s kind of a girly girl toddly, she''ll love getting new stuff. The good thing about clothes is you don''t have to worry if it''s something the parents will want their kids to have. Some of my friends'' toddlers got noisy toys or things that were messy and, not that they weren''t grateful for the gifts, but it''s not what they would have selected and soon the toys found a new home.

I think it''s so sweet that you are taking such an interest in shopping for the kids! That''s really wonderful. The effort alone should be very much appreciated.
2.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I just bought my friends 2 year old a few board books by sandra boynton. They are so cute. Board books are great for 1-2 year olds. Plus at that age, they tend to lose small part toys so there are no parts to lose. Also, with all the toy recalls, I think that books are a safe bet.

My 11 year old son loves things he can build and is still into legos. I got him an erector set for Hannukah as well.

The hot thing right now for 5-7 year old mostly girls are webkins.

Can''t help on the 12 year old girl.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The greatest gift for a toddler is the Sit-n-Spin. They have the basic version for about $10, and the Dora and Diego versions for around $25, and the Simon Says version (which plays music and has options) for around $30. I''ve never met a child who didn''t LOVE it!

I''m also a big fan of the little indoor ball pits. The child can fit in it and it usually comes with 20 balls. Some are blow-up types and are in the shapes of cars, trains, etc. And some are just little plastic boxes with ceilings.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2007 12:41:01 PM
Author: asscherisme
I just bought my friends 2 year old a few board books by sandra boynton. They are so cute. Board books are great for 1-2 year olds. Plus at that age, they tend to lose small part toys so there are no parts to lose. Also, with all the toy recalls, I think that books are a safe bet.

My 11 year old son loves things he can build and is still into legos. I got him an erector set for Hannukah as well.

The hot thing right now for 5-7 year old mostly girls are webkins.

Can''t help on the 12 year old girl.
I was going to suggest those as well. Almost every kid (boy) loves them.

kelley1975

Shiny_Rock
My just turned two year old is crazy obsessed with Care Bears. She got one for Christmas last year at just over 1year old and became instantly attached to it. She also really likes puzzles and blocks. We have a ton of the Melissa and Doug wooden toys. She is also very active and these seem to hold her attention. HTH!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions!

The sport pads/gloves are a great idea, I know he bike rides and skateboards and I sincerely doubt he can regularly find whatever equiptment he has. I was also thinking of a build-a-trebuchet kit, so that falls into build something, right? Too war like?

The girls are sibs, so I want the older girl to feel special and not overshadowed but the younger spunkier addition. Her aunt is giving her a pearl necklace; would coordinating earrings be too dull? At that age I was into crafts of all kinds but I don''t know if shes into that/has the time to do it.

For the baby girl, maybe some clothes and a soft toy bowling set? She''s very active and a little destructive. I bet she has a sit-n-spin, but I''ll check, that would be good too!

The baby boy I was going to get logo clothes from my university and I''m not sure what else. I know they read to him every night; is there anything new and exciting in the way of books for babys?

Thanks guys, this seems more surmountable now!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Ideas for the older kids are mp3 players and digital cameras. There are many designed for kids now that are inexpensive. Also, if they like board games, there are a lot of interesting ones. Any fans of Monopoly have choices for many different versions online and some available at the regular stores. The Mega version is neat, also the Electronic Banking, Disney version, Spiderman 3 version.. there''s one for everyone!
I think crafty things are great. I''d go on Amazon for the little kids to get ideas too. I agree that books and cd''s are great. I think the bowling set sounds cute, my son loved his for many years.
You could also get the older boy a bicycle. I saw a very cute bubble mower in the store for the younger 1.5 yr old.
I don''t know if the older girl would like a Bedazzler. It''s a kit where you can add rhinestones to clothes. They also have a generic version at Target. Or maybe a nice jewelry box for the girl or some sort of keepsake box.

Hope that helps some. Good luck with the shopping.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Cant offer any help since I need help looking for a gift for a 12 yr old girl also...

Any more ideas for that age???

TIA!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe an offer to spend the day together and go shopping. Jewelry, a nice journal, a friend of mine gets her niece a place setting of china so that when she''s 18, she''ll have a whole setting. I thought that was very generous.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Right now the Webkinz are hot in my area for both boys and girls in the 10-12 range. They''re fairly cheap. They would need to have internet access. I was honestly surprised my 10 almost 11 year old boy requested Webkinz for Christmas.

Other gifts my 10 year old boy has requested.

Nerf guns...they seem to be really popular amoung my son and his friends.

Legos or Kinex....building still seems popular.

There are tons of cool things on Discovery.com that are a bit different that would be appropriate to the 10-12 year old range. Lot''s of science kits and DVD series. My son LOVES this catalog and has circled almost everything in it.

Remote control cars--preferably 2 so they can race.

Books my son likes: Narnia series, Artemis Fowl series, Harry Potter series. The Magic Treehouse series was more of a 3rd grade level book for my son but every kid is different. The Dangerous Book for Boys could be good too.

Video games of course. My son knows better though because I won''t buy them. Most boys are hooked on them though.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Sooo...

I called the older kids'' grandma to get some tips and pointers for gifts.
The older girl likes girly stuff- fine
The baby girl likes baby stuff- also fine

The older boy needs clothes. Not like he''s just discovered clothes and wants certain things. Nope. His parents don''t buy him clothes/wash his clothes/make sure he leaves the house dressed (much less appropriately for weather or sports). He needs clothes.

It makes me so mad I could throttle them. This is just the sweatest kid you have ever met. He''s very mild mannered, extremely loving and dosn''t have a bad thing to say about anyone. He''s just (preter)naturally good hearted! And his life is so difficult and crappy! I''d love to kidnap him, but it''s way beyond my bounds.

I looked around on Macy''s.com and it looks like two complete fall/winter outfits would only cost $100. His families aren''t well off, but I can promise you each of his parents has spent that much on themselves. Probably even this week. It just isn''t fair! He''s split between two households and has no real home.

So the elder girl is getting fun acessories and maybe a sweater.
The baby is getting fun toys
And the older boy gets clothes. And maybe the trebuche too. Maybe he''ll aim it at one of his parents.

Grrrrrr!!!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

Seriously, if I had more time and income, he''d spend summers at Aunt Mercoledi''s house and find out what it''s like to loved and respected. Maybe soon...

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to say that instead of going to Macy''s and only getting 2 outfits for $100, you can go to Target/Sears or somewhere similar and get much more. The clothing there is just fine, in fact, I do almost all of my son''s shopping at Target. They have a good selection and reasonable prices. If he needs clothes, I''d suggest getting more at a cheaper store.

I''m sure whatever you get them will be great and they will appreciate it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to Target. I''d do that and get him a toy, too. Boys usually aren''t thrilled with clothing gifts.

I just want to add that most 12 year olds would love a WalMart or Target gift card! That way they have the fun of going and buying something they really want!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2007 8:16:40 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Ditto to Target. I''d do that and get him a toy, too. Boys usually aren''t thrilled with clothing gifts.

I just want to add that most 12 year olds would love a WalMart or Target gift card! That way they have the fun of going and buying something they really want!

I have also found old navy to be about priced the same as target and another great place for clothes. $100 would go a long way at either place.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, once they reach a certain age, they''d much rather have Old Navy. I do think that is better for 10 and up. I ordered some things from their online today for my 12 year old, as a matter of fact!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results